New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 31, 2023 at 2:59 AM Post #9,904 of 11,282
Tried it

Tried that.

My DAC does not reacts to anything regarding the clock input. Maybe this whole time I have been made impression solely on the DDC clock input, because it reacts to the cable/input = "E."

1675126419849.png

My R8 does not respond to this like my DDC does
There is always a bright side. Think of it this way, if the clock input to the R8 wasn't working and you were so happy with the sound out of the DI-20HE clocked alone, think of how good it will sound when the R8 is running off the same clock as your DI-20HE ! :)

I have the problem of setting the ext clock of DI-20HE and R7HE. I have to set them to ext clock every time I power up even though I keep the clock on 7x24. They are by default int. clock and not detecting if an ext clock is present. I wish they could stay on ext clock on power up if ext clock is using.

I don't know if it applies to your case, but make sure the clock is running and stable before the downstream gear is powered on. I noticed one time my DI-20HE lost external clock and switched to internal. And I realized it was because it started up before the clock. Now I turn on the clock first and the DI-20HE after. The DI-20HE power-up delay is enough that it always locks on the clock.

Jan 31, 2023 at 3:21 AM Post #9,905 of 11,282
There is always a bright side. Think of it this way, if the clock input to the R8 wasn't working and you were so happy with the sound out of the DI-20HE clocked alone, think of how good it will sound when the R8 is running off the same clock as your DI-20HE ! :)

I don't know if it applies to your case, but make sure the clock is running and stable before the downstream gear is powered on. I noticed one time my DI-20HE lost external clock and switched to internal. And I realized it was because it started up before the clock. Now I turn on the clock first and the DI-20HE after. The DI-20HE power-up delay is enough that it always locks on the clock.
Yeah the port works as ACSS/SPDIF, so thats a good thing. Magna is so helpful, they said I could just do the firmware update and fix it. They will assist me.

EDIT: You are right sound without master clock was also very very good :)

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #9,906 of 11,282
ALTERA USB BLASTER: unknown usb device device descriptor request failed

To anybody that are going to start a firmware upgrade process and Windows(device manager) wont register the usb blaster and gives a "Descriptor" error

My solution was: Using a usb hub before the usb blaster. This is some Voodoo crap!

It worked!!

My R8HE MK2 has now clock input.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #9,908 of 11,282
Yeah! I'm surprised your unit was not up to date on f/w?? But I'm unfamiliar with the R8 f/w. Good job and great information!
The connector was 75Ohm as I asked for, It was spdif instead of clock in...I guess december was very busy :wink:

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:21 AM Post #9,909 of 11,282
Regarding external clock feeding the R8 and the DI-20HE, this is what I asked Kingwa two days ago:
After discussing with people on Head-fi.org, they all highly recommended the DI-20HE and eventually an external clock that should be connected to both the DI-20HE and the DAC.
The problem is that if the R8 is modified for use with an external clock it needs 75 ohms, while the DI-20HE needs 50 ohms! The R7 MK2 would be compatible since its external clock requirement is 50 ohms like the DI-20HE.
So the R7 MK2 would be a better choice for me for the long term.

Here is Kingwa's reply:
If need play with external clock, the R7MK2 has better sound and easy use than R8 MK2.
It has 50 ohm clock input just like the DI20 HE.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #9,910 of 11,282
Regarding external clock feeding the R8 and the DI-20HE, this is what I asked Kingwa two days ago:
After discussing with people on Head-fi.org, they all highly recommended the DI-20HE and eventually an external clock that should be connected to both the DI-20HE and the DAC.
The problem is that if the R8 is modified for use with an external clock it needs 75 ohms, while the DI-20HE needs 50 ohms! The R7 MK2 would be compatible since its external clock requirement is 50 ohms like the DI-20HE.

Here is Kingwa's reply:
If need play with external clock, the R7MK2 has better sound and easy use than R8 MK2.
Afterdark (upon request), lhy, Mutec and Cybershaft have clock units with both impedances.

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #9,911 of 11,282

Here is Kingwa's reply:
No all his dacs and ddc comes 50Ohm. It was me that chose 75Ohm. But yeah its confusing. Just stay with stock and get 50Ohm cables like everybody else, I think Im the only one who has it in 75Ohm.

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #9,912 of 11,282
I think Im the only one who has it in 75Ohm.
No, You are not on the R8. The SP/DIF is 75 Ohm's and after flashing on the EC firmware You have the Ext XO input on input #2. You had to sacrifice it as SP/DIF input. The impedance is still 75 Ohm.
On the DI20.. Yes, You are most likely one of the very few to have 75 Ohm EXT XO input

Jan 31, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #9,913 of 11,282
No, You are not on the R8. The SP/DIF is 75 Ohm's and after flashing on the EC firmware You have the Ext XO input on input #2. You had to sacrifice it as SP/DIF input. The impedance is still 75 Ohm.
On the DI20.. Yes, You are most likely one of the very few to have 75 Ohm EXT XO input
That makes sense I totally forgot about the impedance of spdif

Jan 31, 2023 at 10:03 PM Post #9,914 of 11,282
No all his dacs and ddc comes 50Ohm. It was me that chose 75Ohm. But yeah its confusing. Just stay with stock and get 50Ohm cables like everybody else, I think Im the only one who has it in 75Ohm.
You will save a lot of money on good clock cables with 75 Ohm :)
Really good 50 Ohm Cables are expensive... $ 700 +

Last edited:
Feb 1, 2023 at 3:30 AM Post #9,915 of 11,282

Users who are viewing this thread

Back