New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #9,886 of 11,260
If you have a great ddc to go with it, it should really perform very well. So worth buying as far as i can say. You can consider upgrading the clocks on it, although not mandatory. I love the pcm 1704uk sound. You can consider having accusillicons installed in it. This would bring resolution up a bit.
I have a DI-20HE, but I don't know if its I2S output can work with the Singularity.
The DI-20 output is HDMI, and the Singularity's input is RJ45.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 1:47 PM Post #9,888 of 11,260
No problem. You can order an hdmi module from Kingwa or just use the bnc in. Ask Kingwa.
If in Europe, you could send the unit to Magna Hifi to have better clocks and the hdmi installed. If not, a qualified tech could do both. The hdmi is the easiest and you can do it yourself if you have some skills. The clocks required much better skills, including desoldering.

Jan 29, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #9,889 of 11,260
Thank you for the detailed information.
There's a guy who sells a Singularity 7, and I was wondering if it's worth buying it as a second DAC for its 1704UK converters.
They can be wonderful 2nd DACs. Considering the PCM1704s are about $100 (or more) each these days and a bargain if works 100%. Does it have any upgrades like Accusilicon? You can always upgrade the DAC if not. The Singularity DACs sound best with HDMI I2S input so the DI20HE is a wise choice.

Best of all we tested all the Singularity f/w upgrades. There were dozens over the years. If you buy we can suggest a few to try.

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #9,890 of 11,260
They can be wonderful 2nd DACs. Considering the PCM1704s are about $100 (or more) each these days and a bargain if works 100%. Does it have any upgrades like Accusilicon? You can always upgrade the DAC if not. The Singularity DACs sound best with HDMI I2S input so the DI20HE is a wise choice.

Best of all we tested all the Singularity f/w upgrades. There were dozens over the years. If you buy we can suggest a few to try.
The seller did not specify which version it is. I'll ask him for more details.
He sells it for €1,050.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:13 PM Post #9,892 of 11,260
I need some help-

I turned off my dac and ddc and master clock. My DDC unlocks the master clock, but my R8 still thinks there is a master clock even when master clock is off.

DI20HE and R8HE mk2 act differently?

If master clock is connected and I turn it off, DI20HE removes the "E." but R8 does not.

Only my DDC reacts if I switch between I. and E.....my R8 does not react to the clock input when swiching between I. and E....its just there on R8

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #9,893 of 11,260
I need some help-

I turned off my dac and ddc and master clock. My DDC unlocks the master clock, but my R8 still thinks there is a master clock even when master clock is off.

DI20HE and R8HE mk2 act differently?

If master clock is connected and I turn it off, DI20HE removes the "E." but R8 does not.

Only my DDC reacts if I switch between I. and E.....my R8 does not react to the clock input when swiching between I. and E....its just there on R8
Try cycling through the inputs. That usually works for me.

Every once in a while, I get some kind of communication error. I get a steady high pitched noise instead of music and it doesn't go away even if I close Jriver or even shutdown the pc. Its sounds like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

If anyone knows what that is, please let me know.

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #9,894 of 11,260
Tried it
Try cycling through the inputs. That usually works for me.

Every once in a while, I get some kind of communication error. I get a steady high pitched noise instead of music and it doesn't go away even if I close Jriver or even shutdown the pc. Its sounds like "eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee".

If anyone knows what that is, please let me know.
Tried that.

My DAC does not reacts to anything regarding the clock input. Maybe this whole time I have been made impression solely on the DDC clock input, because it reacts to the cable/input = "E."

1675126419849.png

My R8 does not respond to this like my DDC does

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #9,895 of 11,260
I need some help-

Check the ribbon cable(s) between the faceplate and FPGA header.

On the R7 mk2, the faceplate’s microcontroller is the ‘brains’ behind the int/ext clock switching. But the micro needs feedback from the FPGA clock synthesizer whether to switch or not based upon what mode is selected (wire #1 - FPGA to faceplate). A 2nd wire from the faceplate toggles high/low to notify FPGA to switch clocks.

It seems you may be missing connection on the 2nd wire. Unplug the 10M clock and if you get no sound then the FPGA is not switching. 1st wire seems OK.

Jan 30, 2023 at 9:05 PM Post #9,897 of 11,260
Tried it

Tried that.

My DAC does not reacts to anything regarding the clock input. Maybe this whole time I have been made impression solely on the DDC clock input, because it reacts to the cable/input = "E."

My R8 does not respond to this like my DDC does
Could be also that you do not have the clock fw. Someone could have forgotten to flash it.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:27 PM Post #9,898 of 11,260
I have the problem of setting the ext clock of DI-20HE and R7HE. I have to set them to ext clock every time I power up even though I keep the clock on 7x24. They are by default int. clock and not detecting if an ext clock is present. I wish they could stay on ext clock on power up if ext clock is using.

Jan 30, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #9,899 of 11,260
I have the problem of setting the ext clock of DI-20HE and R7HE. I have to set them to ext clock every time I power up even though I keep the clock on 7x24. They are by default int. clock and not detecting if an ext clock is present. I wish they could stay on ext clock on power up if ext clock is using.
Can be fixed by flashing a new program on your MCU. I did it on my di20he. Your need a pic programmer and patience. Or you can ask Kingwa to sell you the chip with updated program.

Or you could buy such an MCU and send it for programming to a headfier who can do it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back