New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Sep 26, 2022 at 4:34 PM Post #9,031 of 11,301
This may be a long shot, but is it possible to connect multiple dacs to the outputs of DI20HE. Not play music at the same time but choose between the outputs

Im concidering keeping my TT2 and use the COAX, But the I2S for R8He mk2.

Sep 26, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #9,033 of 11,301
Coming from Lampizator, Musician Pegasus, Terminator II, Holo Spring 3 L2, I have never been happier than now:
SOtM sMS Neo Ultra SE --> USB --> DI-20HE --> I2S --> R8HE Mk2 --> Vacuum HE1 XLR --> etc.
The SOtM and R8HE are fed by and Afterdark Trifecta (Emperor Double Crown) 10 MHz clock. People like to believe that they understand by simplifying things, so I could attribute the jump in SQ compared to my previous DAC to the external clocking and regenerative PS, but whatever it may be, the sound is lush, precise, immersive, detailed and warm in a way that I find intoxicating. I would rather say that the sound is immediate, with a lot of presence, but not up front. Spacious, yes, but in a strange intimate way.

I would like to add that I recently made an unexpected discovery. My main player was HQPlayer 4 Desktop on Windows with NAA on the SOtM. Last week I got an alert that my Audirvana Studio trial would expire in a few days. So I installed it again for fun and was amazed. I liked the sound so much better than with HQPlayer (after trying many many of the latter's settings), and also on-the-fly upsampling to DSD512 was suddenly possible and flawless. An audio buddy then advised me to run the players (HQP and Audirvana) from my Mac Mini M1 (upstairs, normally used for my Logic Audio studio) and the SQ made another little jump, with Audirvana still the best to my ears. The SOtM in that case runs mpd/upmpdcli instead of NAA. I always resisted Audirvana as I find its interface clunky and buggy and the service so-so, but things seem to have improved, and I now will subscribe, if only for that SQ...

To keep sane with all this R2R lushness, in parallel I also listen to a D/S DAC:
Merging Hapi with Ravenna --> Vacuum HE1 XLR --> etc.
A much shorter chain as the Hapi also functions as a streamer. I do use the DI-20HE to feed the Hapi with a WCLK signal using the Gustard C2 cable, which does make a nice difference. The Hapi is powered by a Paul Hynes SR4T. Playing DSD256, I would say the result is at the same level, but different -- call itore pure, aristocratic, pristine, whatever that all means. But certainly two very different but likeable personalities.
Very good post. Thanks.

I have a very similar digital rig: SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE > DI-20 (non HE) > I2S > H-E7 MkII DAC > HE-1 MkII preamp > Tube amplifier > speakers. I have a Morion clock feeding my Etherregen, DI-20 and HE-7 and I use Audinirvana+ as a player with Tidal. I have listened to other very expensive systems with very expensive DACs and I found mine considerably more analog and natural sounding.

I am very sensitive to digital harshness and glare on the mids and highs and the music I like is not the best recorded at all. Nevertheless, the Audio-GD gear reproduce it in a way that it makes it very very listeneable and enjoyable. I find this sound addictive (silky highs, lush midrange, deep and powerful bass, incredibly holographic and big soundstage).

Sep 27, 2022 at 3:31 AM Post #9,034 of 11,301
Very good post. Thanks.

I have a very similar digital rig: SMS-200 Ultra Neo SE > DI-20 (non HE) > I2S > H-E7 MkII DAC > HE-1 MkII preamp > Tube amplifier > speakers. I have a Morion clock feeding my Etherregen, DI-20 and HE-7 and I use Audinirvana+ as a player with Tidal. I have listened to other very expensive systems with very expensive DACs and I found mine considerably more analog and natural sounding.

I am very sensitive to digital harshness and glare on the mids and highs and the music I like is not the best recorded at all. Nevertheless, the Audio-GD gear reproduce it in a way that it makes it very very listeneable and enjoyable. I find this sound addictive (silky highs, lush midrange, deep and powerful bass, incredibly holographic and big soundstage).
Indeed a very similar setup (can it be a coincidence? :wink: ) based on a similar objective (getting rid of digital harshness). I feel the same about the Audio-gd gear. Many audiophiles here (in The Netherlands) are reluctant to buy their key devices from China and rather pay triple money for European brands with slick advertising. They do not know what they are missing -- and could have saved.

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:00 AM Post #9,035 of 11,301
Very good post. Thanks.

Ok thats it! I have had enough! Im tired of looking for DDC, Im getting the DI20HE!:gs1000smile:

Anything I should be aware of, when using the COAX for my TT2, or in general, customization etc?

Sep 27, 2022 at 4:09 AM Post #9,036 of 11,301
Ok thats it! I have had enough! Im tired of looking for DDC, Im getting the DI20HE!:gs1000smile:

Anything I should be aware of, when using the COAX for my TT2, or in general, customization etc?
Using the di20 spdf output to the dac. The dac input must not be transformer coupled, if it is then it will not work. Thus check your dac spdf input.

Sep 27, 2022 at 5:46 AM Post #9,037 of 11,301
Using the di20 spdf output to the dac. The dac input must not be transformer coupled, if it is then it will not work. Thus check your dac spdf input.
I meant SPDIF/BNC

Sep 27, 2022 at 6:05 AM Post #9,038 of 11,301
Sep 27, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #9,039 of 11,301
Not of the acss bnc output for the di20 sinve i dont have any bnc input dac. Maybe someone else have experience.
Ooh I mixed it up I thought the spdif was BNC on DI20HE

Sep 28, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #9,042 of 11,301
Sep 28, 2022 at 4:51 AM Post #9,044 of 11,301
Fred, I did not need to see this!

My Yamaha ministack is just about dead. I have been using the aux inputs out of my R2R-11 rev. 0.

I was looking over powered monitors and I saw your post! :p
I hope to see more silver versions from audio-gd 😍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back