New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 25, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #8,896 of 11,276
You want to know the actual footprint on the ground, correct?

Is an eyeball with a tape measure close enough, or are you cutting it that close?
Ya, footprint is what I'm looking for.

An estimate is fine, I'm gonna be dealing with overhang just want to see how much.

Aug 25, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #8,897 of 11,276
Ya, footprint is what I'm looking for.

An estimate is fine, I'm gonna be dealing with overhang just want to see how much.

Ok it looks to me like 13 inches across the front between the outside edge of the feet, and another two inches from the outside edge of the foot to the edge of the case. A bit less, but 2 inches round numbers.

I'm sorry, I can't get to the side at all to see the distance between feet front-to-back.

Aug 26, 2022 at 12:20 PM Post #8,899 of 11,276
Enhancing ACSS Interconnects Inquiry -

Currently using 23 AWG solid Silver Balanced wire for ACSS - https://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-66070.html
1.5M lengths from R8 to Preamp, 2M lengths from Preamp to Amps.
This 1/4" OD cable fits snugly into the Krell LEMO connectors as well as the mini-XLR to the R8.
It sounds superior to Analysis Plus Silver Apex XLR interconnects.
Kingwa mentioned that a handful of customers in China order standard XLR connectors for ACSS to utilize boutique interconnects of their choice.

Came across a blog from John Swenson [Sonore/ Uptone Audio Engineer] pertaining to DC power [low-Z] circuits [also such as ACSS] where using star-quad geometry lowers inductance by up to 3X over single-pair cable referenced in Post #1 - https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/?do=userPosts&mid=2573
I can't comment as to his assertions pertaining to cable wire and its purity but with minimal experimentation I've tended to prefer silver.

Also, very interesting is his assertion pertaining to proper shielding where using a mesh shield over the cable as a true Faraday cage, an insulated wire must connect both ends of the shield and the shield should not be grounded. Reference Post 11 -
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/?do=userPosts&mid=2573
1661529478365.jpeg

Seemed counter-intuitive to me but I tried it on both my AC cables [added 18AWG externally to the cable connecting both shielded ends of the cable and removed the shield connection to ground at the male plug], and the ACSS interconnects where the existing shield doubles as pin 1 - pin 1 ground. In the ACSS interconnect case, I added an additional 1/4" ID mesh shield over the entire cable and connected both shield ends with additional insulated 18AWG wire.
Pertaining to the AC cable mod, everything was improved, from bass definition to image specificity - especially out-of-phase soundstage imaging.
Before ordering the mesh for the ACSS, I tried this mod to some Analysis Plus XLR balanced interconnect I had lying around which consisted of two signal conductors surrounded by substantial copper mesh shield tied to pin 1 at both ends. In this case, I removed the shield from pin(s) 1 and tied both shield ends together using a separate insulated wire running outside the cable and added a second dedicated wire also outside of the shield to reconnect pin 1 at both ends. Same positive result - essentially, the treble snapped into a new focus and the soundstage became less forward - higher in magnitude than the same benefits of what I've experienced adding OCXO timing. But the ACSS connection was better than the modded standard XLR interconnects in this case.

So now what...
I'm curious to know if the lower- impedance ACSS will benefit from significantly lowering the inductance via star quad geometry as well as running a 5th wire as dedicated reference ground in place of a shield-inducing reactance between signal and ground. Then fully covered with mesh shield acting as Faraday cage...

Not sure if it will matter on 2M cable runs but I'm interested in trying it.
Kingwa [if I properly understood our email exchange] said that the pin 1 ground is a reference only for the + and - current flow. So I'm thinking silver star quad for the + and - signal and a separate ground wire for the pin 1 reference and then the floating Faraday cage shield [both ends connected with insulated wire] on top of that.

I could buy the individual wire and hand twist the star quad with a 5th wire for ground reference but I'm not sure the degree the geometry will hold up if I bend it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385054086631?var=652933831665&hash=item59a70315e7:g:FtwAAOSw-Lxi80wj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoJc5XXDTaMovUy/Ac9bQSWuSWaZ6DNk72cxJTfUF74U9iJrWcsKJFR9glb6rhPxP9GrvoV0sUYH4NkEAqMxpJoXd1jKI6yAVAk0Mq+2QQF9ROc2CCOMvp2DoUdrQnzxouAyvzn6NFc29mhBypUtT4I7n3D/5xaSZqFBIma5ZDlm8skMt5zXAlvPhfAXRhGFoqbaVdXUKYWukttGMgUxBvVE=|tkp:Bk9SR4b1z6jbYA
If I shrink wrap it together will it still bend OK? Suggestions welcomed.

Rich

Attachments

• 1661529446523.jpeg
    1661529446523.jpeg
    142.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Aug 27, 2022 at 5:46 PM Post #8,900 of 11,276
Ok it looks to me like 13 inches across the front between the outside edge of the feet, and another two inches from the outside edge of the foot to the edge of the case. A bit less, but 2 inches round numbers.

I'm sorry, I can't get to the side at all to see the distance between feet front-to-back.
It looks like my shelf is about 13inches wide, if I fit it longitudinally, I guess it might fit but theres going to be severe overhang ugh.

Maybe I should get a side table or something for it. These things can never be simple.

Enhancing ACSS Interconnects Inquiry -

Currently using 23 AWG solid Silver Balanced wire for ACSS - https://www.partsconnexion.com/CONNEX-66070.html
1.5M lengths from R8 to Preamp, 2M lengths from Preamp to Amps.
This 1/4" OD cable fits snugly into the Krell LEMO connectors as well as the mini-XLR to the R8.
It sounds superior to Analysis Plus Silver Apex XLR interconnects.
Kingwa mentioned that a handful of customers in China order standard XLR connectors for ACSS to utilize boutique interconnects of their choice.

Came across a blog from John Swenson [Sonore/ Uptone Audio Engineer] pertaining to DC power [low-Z] circuits [also such as ACSS] where using star-quad geometry lowers inductance by up to 3X over single-pair cable referenced in Post #1 - https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/?do=userPosts&mid=2573
I can't comment as to his assertions pertaining to cable wire and its purity but with minimal experimentation I've tended to prefer silver.

Also, very interesting is his assertion pertaining to proper shielding where using a mesh shield over the cable as a true Faraday cage, an insulated wire must connect both ends of the shield and the shield should not be grounded. Reference Post 11 -
https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/31554-diy-dc-power-cables/?do=userPosts&mid=2573
1661529478365.jpeg

Seemed counter-intuitive to me but I tried it on both my AC cables [added 18AWG externally to the cable connecting both shielded ends of the cable and removed the shield connection to ground at the male plug], and the ACSS interconnects where the existing shield doubles as pin 1 - pin 1 ground. In the ACSS interconnect case, I added an additional 1/4" ID mesh shield over the entire cable and connected both shield ends with additional insulated 18AWG wire.
Pertaining to the AC cable mod, everything was improved, from bass definition to image specificity - especially out-of-phase soundstage imaging.
Before ordering the mesh for the ACSS, I tried this mod to some Analysis Plus XLR balanced interconnect I had lying around which consisted of two signal conductors surrounded by substantial copper mesh shield tied to pin 1 at both ends. In this case, I removed the shield from pin(s) 1 and tied both shield ends together using a separate insulated wire running outside the cable and added a second dedicated wire also outside of the shield to reconnect pin 1 at both ends. Same positive result - essentially, the treble snapped into a new focus and the soundstage became less forward - higher in magnitude than the same benefits of what I've experienced adding OCXO timing. But the ACSS connection was better than the modded standard XLR interconnects in this case.

So now what...
I'm curious to know if the lower- impedance ACSS will benefit from significantly lowering the inductance via star quad geometry as well as running a 5th wire as dedicated reference ground in place of a shield-inducing reactance between signal and ground. Then fully covered with mesh shield acting as Faraday cage...

Not sure if it will matter on 2M cable runs but I'm interested in trying it.
Kingwa [if I properly understood our email exchange] said that the pin 1 ground is a reference only for the + and - current flow. So I'm thinking silver star quad for the + and - signal and a separate ground wire for the pin 1 reference and then the floating Faraday cage shield [both ends connected with insulated wire] on top of that.

I could buy the individual wire and hand twist the star quad with a 5th wire for ground reference but I'm not sure the degree the geometry will hold up if I bend it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/385054086631?var=652933831665&hash=item59a70315e7:g:FtwAAOSw-Lxi80wj&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAAoJc5XXDTaMovUy/Ac9bQSWuSWaZ6DNk72cxJTfUF74U9iJrWcsKJFR9glb6rhPxP9GrvoV0sUYH4NkEAqMxpJoXd1jKI6yAVAk0Mq+2QQF9ROc2CCOMvp2DoUdrQnzxouAyvzn6NFc29mhBypUtT4I7n3D/5xaSZqFBIma5ZDlm8skMt5zXAlvPhfAXRhGFoqbaVdXUKYWukttGMgUxBvVE=|tkp:Bk9SR4b1z6jbYA
If I shrink wrap it together will it still bend OK? Suggestions welcomed.

Rich
You should start a thread regarding that, alot of good info there.

Aug 28, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #8,901 of 11,276
It looks like my shelf is about 13inches wide, if I fit it longitudinally, I guess it might fit but theres going to be severe overhang ugh.
Maybe I should get a side table or something for it. These things can never be simple.

Most of the Audio-gd gear is sized to fit correctly on a full width hifi rack. For instance the R8 MK2 DAC is exactly the same width as my TASCAM CD recorder. It is definitely not desktop-friendly but I gladly pay the price to get this quality of engineering and construction.

Buy a good hifi shelf unit and get a bigger one (more shelves) than you think you will need :wink:

What's cool in my setup is that the Master 19 and DI-20HE sit next to each other on the top shelf with no overhang and a tiny gap between them.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:24 AM Post #8,902 of 11,276
Looking to purcahse a R8 MK2 or R7 MK2 soon , in looking over the GD Audio site it is difficult to determine exactly what the differences are technically between these two DACS, does any one a have an actual comparison list ??

Aug 28, 2022 at 5:44 PM Post #8,903 of 11,276
Looking to purcahse a R8 MK2 or R7 MK2 soon , in looking over the GD Audio site it is difficult to determine exactly what the differences are technically between these two DACS, does any one a have an actual comparison list ??

I believe the main difference comes down to the power and capacitors. The R7 MK2 has more power, more capacitors and more filtering on the power compared to the R8 MK2. I think they have the same chip set. Though, I would ask Kingwa. When I was talking to the people at UnderwoodHifi he said the performance difference between the R8 and R7 is <10%. So it really comes down to if you think the small performance increase is worth the extra $1000.

Aug 29, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #8,904 of 11,276
Better power supplies and fancier digital board. Beefier chassis. The r8he mkii should also be considered.

Sep 4, 2022 at 4:32 PM Post #8,905 of 11,276
Other differences are: fancier digital board and beefier chassis.

Sep 5, 2022 at 11:52 AM Post #8,906 of 11,276
Anyone here tried the Gustard c2 clock cable?
Yes, I have been using Gustard C2 clock cable with my After Dark clock for 8 mo or so… I think It is awesome 50 Ohm at this price point ($150 or cheaper)….

As far as I know for 50 Ohm: Belden/ HUBER+SUHNER (Red 50 Ohm stock on After Dark clocks) < Cybershaft blue 50 Ohm < Gustard C2< SOtm dCBL-BNC 50 Ohm (Jut awesome among 50 Ohm cables at $630 price point) < Shunyata Sigma 50 Ohm (One of the beast but it’s 2K per 1m) < Cross Point XP-DIC/BNC EN SE (Over 2K but on the same level or above Shunyata Omega)

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 12:02 PM Post #8,907 of 11,276
Hello all…
From reading this thread, I think I will be upgrading my Gustard U18 with purple fuse to DI-20HE soon… I Always wanted a DAC with 10 mhz clock input.. So might be replacing my Musician Aquarius DAC with R-7HE MK2 once I get more familiar with DI-20HE as well … This way I can move away from crazy expensive 50 ohm clock cables and have all 4 (EtherRegen, SOtm streamer, Reclocker, DAC) connected to my Cybershaft Master Clock…

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 4:14 PM Post #8,908 of 11,276
Yes, I have been using Gustard C2 clock cable with my After Dark clock for 8 mo or so… I think It is awesome 50 Ohm at this price point ($150 or cheaper)….

As far as I know for 50 Ohm: Belden/ HUBER+SUHNER (Red 50 Ohm stock on After Dark clocks) < Cybershaft blue 50 Ohm < Gustard C2< SOtm dCBL-BNC 50 Ohm (Jut awesome among 50 Ohm cables at $630 price point) < Shunyata Sigma 50 Ohm (One of the beast but it’s 2K per 1m) < Cross Point XP-DIC/BNC EN SE (Over 2K but on the same level or above Shunyata Omega)
Thanks. I got the c2 cable two weeks ago and it made a clear difference. I am happy with it.

I don't feel i need an expensive cable on the di20he. The most important one is the last in the chain. So i use the c2 on the r7he mkii.

Why do you say you'll move away from crazy expensive clock cables by acquiring Audio-gd gears?

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:37 PM Post #8,909 of 11,276
Thanks. I got the c2 cable two weeks ago and it made a clear difference. I am happy with it.

I don't feel i need an expensive cable on the di20he. The most important one is the last in the chain. So i use the c2 on the r7he mkii.

Why do you say you'll move away from crazy expensive clock cables by acquiring Audio-gd gears?
I will buy more Oyaide DB-510 [1.0m] 75 ohm BNC cables from Japan (Around $150) This one is great quality, Solid silver core with premium Oyaide BNC terminals … My SOtm is 75 Ohm so is EtherRegen , but Gustard U18 is 50 Ohm and DAC has no clock input… If I order DI-20HE and R-7HE MK2 with 75 Ohm clock inputs I will be able to use 4 Oyaide DB-510 cables for all… I think I’ve read somewhere that it is preferable with Master clocks to keep all cables same brand/length …

BTW, Quick question: I have all my gears connected to 2 power regenerators, Do you think it’s going to be difference between R-7HE MK2 and R7 MK2 ? Thanks

Sep 5, 2022 at 4:50 PM Post #8,910 of 11,276
I will buy more Oyaide DB-510 [1.0m] 75 ohm BNC cables from Japan (Around $150) This one is great quality, Solid silver core with premium Oyaide BNC terminals … My SOtm is 75 Ohm so is EtherRegen , but Gustard U18 is 50 Ohm and DAC has no clock input… If I order DI-20HE and R-7HE MK2 with 75 Ohm clock inputs I will be able to use 4 Oyaide DB-510 cables for all… I think I’ve read somewhere that it is preferable with Master clocks to keep all cables same brand/length …

BTW, Quick question: I have all my gears connected to 2 power regenerators, Do you think it’s going to be difference between R-7HE MK2 and R7 MK2 ? Thanks
I have such an Oyaide 75ohm cable, by the way. I will use it with a streamer with a 75-ohm clock input eventually. For spdif, it is good, but i prefer the dhlabs d110 and the Ees/ebu out. Never tried the Oyaide as clock cable. You could probably use the c2. It is good for 75-ohm as well according to Gustard and possibly beats the Oyaide.

As HE over regular, it depends on the conditioner and power quality but most often the HE version is on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back