New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 8, 2022 at 6:51 AM Post #8,626 of 11,260
Guys I told you what I value and what I wanted to buy. Linear regulators and other discrete components is on top of that list and frankly I see no point in using linear power supplies if using it with switching regulators.

I can now see that I shouldn't have said anything and will let you debate jitter, op-amps and other things in peace.

May 8, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #8,627 of 11,260
Guys I told you what I value and what I wanted to buy. Linear regulators and other discrete components is on top of that list and frankly I see no point in using linear power supplies if using it with switching regulators.

I can now see that I shouldn't have said anything and will let you debate jitter, op-amps and other things in peace.
A servo-control is not a switching regulator.

May 8, 2022 at 6:58 AM Post #8,628 of 11,260

I believe I was on the point you said before here. You want linear regulation and I agree with that. So why not asking Kingwa to build R7HE with pure linear regulation similar rather than mixing R27 with R7HE DAC board? Maybe build R7HE like 2021 with new mk2 changes now will cost more like $5k but you should be able to discuss that with him.

I don't mean to offend you but the way you phrased it make it sounds like you want $4k DAC upgrade putting inside sub $2k HP/DAC with some cash hoping it'll be cheaper than R7HE. If you had asked him about building R7HE with highend headphone amplifier as single piece like dCS Bartok, I'm sure he'd be interested.

May 8, 2022 at 7:19 AM Post #8,629 of 11,260
From what i can see, these servo controlled psus are used the the r7 mkii as well, one difference being that Wima caps are added at their outputs on the the r7. I had both the older and the newer design, and i prefer the newer. It sounds as analog if not more. And with better details.

May 8, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #8,630 of 11,260
Servo control were introduced in WW2 for guiding missiles. These were linear servo controls at that time. I was taught servo control by an expert who contributed in developing this technology. I strongly doubt Kingwa would hard switch transistors in his design.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:12 PM Post #8,631 of 11,260
ACSS Interconnect

I am using a DH Labs Silver balanced interconnect where the foil shield is coupled to the ground.
https://www.partsconnexion.com/DHLABS-57225.html

Does anyone have a listening experience using one cable with isolated shield experimenting between isolated shield and its termination - at source, terminating end and both ends?

Thank you.

Last edited:
May 8, 2022 at 12:50 PM Post #8,632 of 11,260
Not sure I understood you, but on the Benchmark (company) site there is a whitepaper about whether to ground cables or not, and they concluded that digital cables should be grounded and analog cables should not. Surely, this is not the last word on the subject but coming from Benchmark, it deserves consideration.

May 8, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #8,633 of 11,260
Grounding on analogue cable like RCA is optional. For balanced cable, grounding is mandatory and included in specifications. For digital cable, coaxial is solid core conductor covered by shielding as return on both side.

Some companies built RCA cables with coaxial design. Some built RCA with shielding added and connect to one end of cable. You can try and see what works for you best.

May 8, 2022 at 5:22 PM Post #8,634 of 11,260
Grounding on analogue cable like RCA is optional. For balanced cable, grounding is mandatory and included in specifications. For digital cable, coaxial is solid core conductor covered by shielding as return on both side.

Some companies built RCA cables with coaxial design. Some built RCA with shielding added and connect to one end of cable. You can try and see what works for you best.
Still many cies make their xlr cables without any shield. I prefer without.

May 8, 2022 at 6:12 PM Post #8,635 of 11,260
I have been using cable stock with two wires and a shield. For AES/EBU I use the shield as the 3rd wire. I don't tie it to the ground lug. I don't have any noise, but I also don't daisy chain cables together.

May 8, 2022 at 6:37 PM Post #8,636 of 11,260
I have been using cable stock with two wires and a shield. For AES/EBU I use the shield as the 3rd wire. I don't tie it to the ground lug. I don't have any noise, but I also don't daisy chain cables together.
Yes. For digital, shielding is welcome. I assembled a couple of dhlab d110 (very good by the way). A drain wire is included. As for the shield, connecting it to just one side is a good way to avoid ground loops. I don't connect it at all.

May 8, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #8,637 of 11,260
Just fot an answer from Kingwa. He does not like switching psus and uses none. Some components in the servo psus are used to improve the reference voltage, which is quite specific to Kingwa's design. So it's all analog and linear in fact. An opamp is a linear device, by the way.

Last edited:
May 9, 2022 at 11:48 AM Post #8,638 of 11,260
This thread is kind of misleading.. the header says R27, R28 and, in fact, the majority of the content is related to external clocks, cables and other topics that have nothing to do with mid tier Audio GD gear..

I have wasted a lot of time going through the thread trying to find information related to R27 and there is virtually NOTHING. Kind of disappointed..

May 9, 2022 at 5:20 PM Post #8,639 of 11,260
This thread is kind of misleading.. the header says R27, R28 and, in fact, the majority of the content is related to external clocks, cables and other topics that have nothing to do with mid tier Audio GD gear..

I have wasted a lot of time going through the thread trying to find information related to R27 and there is virtually NOTHING. Kind of disappointed..
There is very little yet, if any. Only a few unit units were sold so far, including one to Currawong. He will post a review eventually.

May 10, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #8,640 of 11,260
There is very little yet, if any. Only a few unit units were sold so far, including one to Currawong. He will post a review eventually.
I'd love to have an R27, just a matter of time :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back