New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 2, 2022 at 12:24 PM Post #8,236 of 11,368
@DACLadder: I was really wondering what the architecture of that DAC module is! Is that dac map confirmed information by Kingwa or an educated guess?
If that information is from Kingwa, DSD is propably converted to a 4 bit DSD stream.
Could also be a 24 bit ladder + 16 elements (4 bit) converter for PCM only. In that case a single bit DSD converter would not really be as prominently visible as the PCM part on that PCB. Just guessing ...
Thanks, Norbert
It's stated on Audio-gd.com that dsd is played back natively. It is pretty evident doing listening tests, as the r7 has more of a delta sigma sound playing dsd files

Feb 2, 2022 at 6:10 PM Post #8,238 of 11,368
DSD can be output directly in an analog circuit (with a low-pass filter) and you'll get music. Someone made a pair of headphones that would receive DSD over USB and send it directly to the drivers. So, the conversion part doesn't need to be as complex as for PCM, at least in basic terms.

Feb 4, 2022 at 8:45 AM Post #8,239 of 11,368
Here's a fairly good article on PCM vs DSD. Before DSD there were 1-bit DACs that were invented in the 1980s to make digital audio affordable to the masses. PCM ladder DACs in the 80s were very expensive. But the 1-bit DACs of the day required PCM on CDs to be first converted to single bit.. DSD and SACD were invented to ,make the most of the 1-bit technology. The rest is history. I could drone on but have a look at this...
https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

Feb 5, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #8,240 of 11,368
I decided to give OS 8x a listen again (R7HE). I've always been in the NOS camp but I must say, 8x is sounding fantastic (for now). I'm not sure if it's a good synergy with the EX-M1+ integrated or if it's just working out for my current mood and frame of mind? Regardless, I'm rediscovering some of my music and it's most enjoyable, so I'll go with it for a bit.

Feb 5, 2022 at 2:43 PM Post #8,241 of 11,368
Here's a fairly good article on PCM vs DSD. Before DSD there were 1-bit DACs that were invented in the 1980s to make digital audio affordable to the masses. PCM ladder DACs in the 80s were very expensive. But the 1-bit DACs of the day required PCM on CDs to be first converted to single bit.. DSD and SACD were invented to ,make the most of the 1-bit technology. The rest is history. I could drone on but have a look at this...
https://www.mojo-audio.com/blog/dsd-vs-pcm-myth-vs-truth/

I remember when CDs came out in the 1980s they sounded so bad that I swore off digital for almost 25 years. I think a lot of progress has been made in DACs...

As far as SACD, they sound like I always hoped CDs would sound. But then again I never listened to them until the last few years when I got an SACD player with a good DAC. So maybe they didn't sound good back in the day either. I still prefer SACD to CD, the SACD sound more analog to me.

Thanks for that link. One thing it says on that site is "When people claim to hear significant differences between PCM and DSD it is not the difference between the formats that they are hearing, but most often the difference in the quality of the digital remastering or the native format their specific DAC decodes." I think this can't be said often enough. Really, good mastering is more important than anything else unless something is really wrong in the playback chain.

I decided to give OS 8x a listen again (R7HE). I've always been in the NOS camp but I must say, 8x is sounding fantastic (for now). I'm not sure if it's a good synergy with the EX-M1+ integrated or if it's just working out for my current mood and frame of mind? Regardless, I'm rediscovering some of my music and it's most enjoyable, so I'll go with it for a bit.
How timely...

I just set to OS8 the last couple of days since I have been listening NOS1 since I got my R8 MK2.

I'm listening through speakers so I probably don't hear the nuances I would expect to hear from headphones. But I don't hear a clear difference except maybe OS8 is brighter. So I'm back to NOS and will listen more on headphones when I have time.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 3:14 AM Post #8,243 of 11,368
How timely...

I just set to OS8 the last couple of days since I have been listening NOS1 since I got my R8 MK2.

I'm listening through speakers so I probably don't hear the nuances I would expect to hear from headphones. But I don't hear a clear difference except maybe OS8 is brighter. So I'm back to NOS and will listen more on headphones when I have time.
Interesting. I can hear a not so subtle difference between NOS and OS, moreso over the course of an album or a few albums (this was prior to adding the Kinki EX amp to my chain), but since adding the Kinki it's even more immediate. Even with my previous R8 Mk1 and Soloist 3XP amp, OS modes were too much for me over extended listening. It was like the music started to take on a digital edge. Anyhow back to my recent stint with OS modes on the R7HE.. I lasted one day! back on NOS again. Kingwa's NOS house sound is my happy place, but it's nice to be able to experiment with OS modes sometimes.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2022 at 6:12 AM Post #8,245 of 11,368
It is not clear to me if the R27HE can use an external 10mhz clock. Does anyone know the answer to this question.
I think from 2020 you can use an external clock. But someone like @FredA or @DACLadder would be better to confirm.

Feb 6, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #8,247 of 11,368
Hello folks, I'm in the Austin/San Antonio TX area and wondering if a member here with an R7 DAC might be willing to let me hear it somehow in a high end system? Thanks! T
You're quoting me but I didn't say anything :wink:

Feb 6, 2022 at 9:46 AM Post #8,248 of 11,368
I remember when CDs came out in the 1980s they sounded so bad that I swore off digital for almost 25 years. I think a lot of progress has been made in DACs...

I have shelves of CDs from the 80s. Some are good but most are bad. In the late 90s and early 20s I could make CDs from vinyl that sounded better. Got back into digital about 13 yrs ago with Kingwa's Ref 5. Digital mastering and DACs have made great progress since.

The R7HE mk2 takes time to burn in and NOS is a good way to get over the hump. I prefer OS8x but takes a long while to blossom. Still it's a matter of taste and preference. Kingwa gives us plenty of options for dialing in the desired sound.

Feb 6, 2022 at 1:50 PM Post #8,249 of 11,368
Hi guys. Is this the Morion external clock that was being recommended previously? If so, is it possible to order it with a black finish, does someone know maybe?

Also how can I tell if my DI-20 is 50ohm or 75ohm. It is a 2016/2017 model (non-HE). I bought it second hand from a friend, so I can still ask him. I was wondering if all DI-20's are the same (like all 50 ohm or all 75 ohm).

Feb 6, 2022 at 2:06 PM Post #8,250 of 11,368
Hi guys. Is this the Morion external clock that was being recommended previously? If so, is it possible to order it with a black finish, does someone know maybe?

Also how can I tell if my DI-20 is 50ohm or 75ohm. It is a 2016/2017 model (non-HE). I bought it second hand from a friend, so I can still ask him. I was wondering if all DI-20's are the same (like all 50 ohm or all 75 ohm).
I think it's this one https://www.ebay.com/itm/333541364404

DI-20s are all 50 ohm unless modified by the seller. You can tell by the connector.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back