New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:06 AM Post #6,961 of 11,260
Ok here is the answer I received. It seems the DI-20 sends ACSS out the BNC jack and the R-8 MK2 accepts ACSS on both the coaxial and BNC jacks. BTW I did ask specifically about the R-8 MK2. I can't understand the text definitively so I'll ask further unless somebody who speaks Chinese can understand the English better than I can.

"The BNC has the fixed impedance for example 75 ohm that is match with the SPDIF require , the RCA has not the fixed impedance so apply for SPDIF transmit just for easy to find the cable , but it is not good for SPDIF require .
As you know the SPDIF cable must with 75 ohm impedance, but the RCA socket is not 75 ohm impedance cause the impedance unmatch ,bad thing on the sound .

Please note the BNC and RCA just the sockets different , it is not mean BNC is the ACSS output or input .
The Di20 ACSS output is the inside output design conversion the signal from voltage to current , it can through BNC or RCA output but we choice the BNC .
The R8 has BNC and RCA spdif inputs, that can get the normal spdif signal or the ACSS spdif signal because its input built with the 75 ohm pure resistor that can conversion the current signal back to voltage signal ."
I think it simply means the acss output will work with both the rca and bnc input of the r8mkii but since the bnc connector is a true 75-ohm connector, sound quality should be better with it than with RCA, given cables of equal quality.

Apr 23, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #6,962 of 11,260
^^^This.

In the first paragraph it is explained why BNC socket is prefered by the Audio GD engineers. It is known on A/V forums that RCA socket provide a poor impedance matching and is not suitable for carrying composite video signal. The same is valid for a digital transmission. Poor impedance matching cause signal reflections, a "bad thing on the sound" as said.

The second paragraph is communicated very clear that in R-8 both BNC and RCA inputs:
1. are S/PDIF type (just a different connector)
2. accept signal from the DI-20 ACSS digital output, as a proper 75 Ohms termination is provided in both cases.

Note that R-8 is refered, not just the latest R-8mk2. It also looks like this concept of a proper termination was applied for a while, as @Articnoise pointed out.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:21 AM Post #6,963 of 11,260
That's what I thought but I couldn't be sure. It looks like the question is answered then, in a good outcome :)

Apr 23, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #6,964 of 11,260
BNC connectors have wider band width and true characteristic impedance (either 50 or 75 ohm). RCA connectors were never intended for high frequency RF signals. The RCAs work because audio folks use short cables.

The bandwidth for SPDIF is much higher than just the sampling rates. The data is sent serially (ex. 192K x 24 bit x 2 ch). and the the data transitions on the SPDIF line (low to high, high to low) need higher bandwidth for sharp transitions. For instance a 1ns transition needs 1Ghz bandwidth (1/time = freq). Comparing Toslink to Coax is a good way to determine if more bandwidth is beneficial for SPDIF performance.

At time of order Kingwa was able to change input connector type for whatever the customer wanted. I order all my DACs with BNCs on SPDIF inputs. That flexibility may change with the MK2 DACs.

Fun fact... How can you tell 50 vs 75 ohm BNC connectors and cables? 50 ohm connectors have more dielectric (while plastic) around the center conductor. Just look at the ends of the wire and connector jack. Click the pic to see full detail.

Attachments

• Figure-2-75-ohm-vs-50-ohm-BNC-connectors.jpg
    Figure-2-75-ohm-vs-50-ohm-BNC-connectors.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #6,965 of 11,260
I just got a confirmation that the R-8 MK2 can accept ACSS over both the RCA and BNC inputs as I suspected and you guys interpreted the email.

Order placed!

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #6,967 of 11,260
Congrats on the R8 MK2! When received give it a few months to fully blossom. Let us know how it works out!
Too early for congrats. I will post pics when I get it setup, it is likely to be several weeks.

I need to stow some gear unfortunately. The rack is full :frowning2:

I ordered the USB blaster from ebay. Will be nagging you guys for help. Thanks @DACLadder I downloaded from your onedrive ahead of time :)

Apr 23, 2021 at 11:33 PM Post #6,969 of 11,260
Hi guys, now I am every every happy with the R7HE and DI20HE. This is the most significant improvement of SQ by gear upgrade.

Now I am thinking sell my McIntosh C500t preamp and MC 501 mono blocks then buy the HE1, LP1HE phono and the new HE2 MK2. Is this a good idea? I am just keeping think about it. Is there any one have compared McIntosh amp with AGD preamp and power amp?

Apr 24, 2021 at 6:03 AM Post #6,970 of 11,260
Hi guys, now I am every every happy with the R7HE and DI20HE. This is the most significant improvement of SQ by gear upgrade.

Now I am thinking sell my McIntosh C500t preamp and MC 501 mono blocks then buy the HE1, LP1HE phono and the new HE2 MK2. Is this a good idea? I am just keeping think about it. Is there any one have compared McIntosh amp with AGD preamp and power amp?
No. But it depends on what you want. The combo will be smooth, refined and neutral. To reference level. If you do the move, i recommend the Ninak audio 5 as acss interconnects. Same description, reference level.

Apr 24, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #6,971 of 11,260
Thanks for the reply FredA, I am using neotech nei 1001 and Audio Sensibility reference OCC silver XLR cables now, I am going to compare them with kingwa' ACSS cable first.

Before I never think about ADG preamp and power amp or any other solid state setup, since I was afraid they would be too bright or harsh. After I listened the R7HE and DI20HE combo, I recognized that the reference level super neutral sound without any glare is very pleased to listen. The plenty of micro details give the sound texture , the pinpoint images and 3D soundstage all give the music life. The new R7HE is a huge step up compare with the Ref1, master 11 and R2R7 I used before. This why I am thinking about a full top end AGD setup.

I believe that the AGD setup should have a very neutral, detailed, colorless sound signature I should like. My concern is the resale value. McIntosh gears usually can keep their value pretty good, but if I buy the full set new AGD gear, these will be my end of game, the new gear will loss 30% value after day one.

Apr 24, 2021 at 11:38 AM Post #6,973 of 11,260
Thanks for the reply FredA, I am using neotech nei 1001 and Audio Sensibility reference OCC silver XLR cables now, I am going to compare them with kingwa' ACSS cable first.

Before I never think about ADG preamp and power amp or any other solid state setup, since I was afraid they would be too bright or harsh. After I listened the R7HE and DI20HE combo, I recognized that the reference level super neutral sound without any glare is very pleased to listen. The plenty of micro details give the sound texture , the pinpoint images and 3D soundstage all give the music life. The new R7HE is a huge step up compare with the Ref1, master 11 and R2R7 I used before. This why I am thinking about a full top end AGD setup.

I believe that the AGD setup should have a very neutral, detailed, colorless sound signature I should like. My concern is the resale value. McIntosh gears usually can keep their value pretty good, but if I buy the full set new AGD gear, these will be my end of game, the new gear will loss 30% value after day one.
You are right, the resale is not as good. But there are not up for sale often. I have the he9 and Master 3. I know for a fact they compete with equipment costing 6x more. The biggest down side is the burn-in time of the power amps. The Master 3 took 4 months. But with it, i get the best midrange, bass control and highs i ever heard in my room. It beats my Nord One Up NC500 monoblock on the 3 catagories. Very neutral and transparent too.

Apr 24, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #6,975 of 11,260
By the way, I just ordered an UpTone EtherREGEN based on the amazing reports I could gather here and there...which I’ll power via an LPS.
should arrive end of May as currently out of stock
Just switched the Ether-regen & DI-20 clocks to an external 10M clock and the results are nothing short of remarkable - highly recommended...now need to replace my R8 w/ a R7 to do the same there...

https://www.adark.co/collections/pr...eference-master-clock-audiophilestyle-edition

Users who are viewing this thread

Back