New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #6,557 of 11,260
Agree, and that is why I have only used high quality Canare balanced cabling everywhere in this house. I used to be ignorant about this until in conversation with a Canare engineer.
If you have the latest r8, give usb a try. It should beat most ok spdif sources out there.

Also, this dac needs close to 1000h to perform optimally.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #6,558 of 11,260
I recently came across this R8 test from AudioScienceReview, posting those poor results...even catastrophic ones.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...review-and-measurements-of-audio-gd-r8.10149/

I cannot explain these bad Jitter, FFT and global THD values, as they do not concur with my listening experience with those gears.... any idea?

is this the “Topping DAC is the greatest” person in the review?. There are so many holes in that “review“. The measurement setup, test equipment used, AC voltage, wires, input/output, etc. is never mentioned. What is the source of the R8 under review? Does it function 100% factory with NO mods? Many questions...

All flame and zero facts. Who cares! If the R8 really measured that poorly it would sound bad.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #6,559 of 11,260
But then things deteriorated. All I heard from 192/24 and DSD formats was static. Then the R8 started to do the same on all formats so I made the assumption the R8 was faulty.

WRONG. Once the balanced digital from the Aries G1 bridge was fed direct into the R8 all formats played nicely.

All this is very puzzling. The Canford splitter had been used here for years without problems but, as you can see from the accompanying diagram, is now replaced by a powered 4 way splitter. Maybe the LKS was happy with a reduced signal from the Canford but the R8 was not.
As you say initially was OK, it is a hint. I think a ground loop is added from the powered splitter, it is rectified somewhere and added DC on the receiver, saturating its inputs over the time. I would temporary go back to a passive 3-way splitter (disconnecting other room during testing).

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:18 PM Post #6,560 of 11,260
One thing is already very clear for me, this cable makes music. The midrange is pretty awesome. The upper bass as well.

That sounds like music to my ears and dollars leaving my wallet! The Robertson cable is interesting as well and good pricing on the USD exchange.

I used Kingwa’s ACSS cable for years but began trying others. The differences can be subtle but usually easily noticed. Has been a good way to tune up my system for desired emphasis. Very illuminating!

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 6:27 PM Post #6,561 of 11,260
If you have the latest r8, give usb a try. It should beat most ok spdif sources out there.

Also, this dac needs close to 1000h to perform optimally.
The setup here does not make USB input possible as the headphone setup is in a different room to the one housing this PC with ROON and music files on board. Further than that I requested Kingwa remove USB and HDMI inputs in favour of a full clocks upgrade with AEC and SPDIF the only inputs that would be used..
Maybe I've been misled in ideas but I've been of the opinion that the balanced digital output from the expensive G1 bridge is optimal so presents a relatively jitter free signal to the DAC.. Maybe that describes why the sound via the LKS is so similar to the R8.
And I've discovered that better cabling with Furutech connectors from the Canford splitter solve the previous problems.. So I'm now back to easily comparing sound outputs from each DAC.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #6,562 of 11,260
As you say initially was OK, it is a hint. I think a ground loop is added from the powered splitter, it is rectified somewhere and added DC on the receiver, saturating its inputs over the time. I would temporary go back to a passive 3-way splitter (disconnecting other room during testing).
The situation is puzzling. Another hint is that using the splitter reverses the left and right channels on one of the outputs - easily fixed.
And yes I have now reinstalled the Canare passive splitter without problems, using different cabling and a different two Canare outputs (of the three). Sop back to comparing these two e xcellent DACs.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #6,563 of 11,260
The setup here does not make USB input possible as the headphone setup is in a different room to the one housing this PC with ROON and music files on board. Further than that I requested Kingwa remove USB and HDMI inputs in favour of a full clocks upgrade with AEC and SPDIF the only inputs that would be used..
Maybe I've been misled in ideas but I've been of the opinion that the balanced digital output from the expensive G1 bridge is optimal so presents a relatively jitter free signal to the DAC.. Maybe that describes why the sound via the LKS is so similar to the R8.
And I've discovered that better cabling with Furutech connectors from the Canford splitter solve the previous problems.. So I'm now back to easily comparing sound outputs from each DAC.
The jitter level outputted by your spdif source is also very important. Using a silent and well enough clocked source, you can beat usb, or at least match it.

Mar 2, 2021 at 6:36 PM Post #6,564 of 11,260
The jitter level outputted by your spdif source is also very important. Using a silent and well enough clocked source, you can beat usb, or at least match it.
My prejudice has been that well controlled SPDIF is superior to USB but concede that output from USB has improved in the last year or so so might now be as good.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:01 PM Post #6,565 of 11,260
My prejudice has been that well controlled SPDIF is superior to USB but concede that output from USB has improved in the last year or so so might now be as good.
Yeah, Kingwa has made the usb input a lot better. Before, an usb to spdif/i2s converter was mandatory, not anymore. Some will be very happy with usb.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2021 at 7:28 PM Post #6,566 of 11,260
My R8 arrived here yesterday as a replacement to a Rick Schultz modded LKS DA-004, So of course I was anxious to compare them to see if there was an AQ improvement.

I fed the balanced digital input via AES into a CANFORD 3 way splitter so a signal could be fed simultaneously into the R8 & LKS for comparison. The output from the LKS was AES but from the R8 the ACSS cabling so comparing the two, fed into an Audio-gd Master 9, was a simple instantaneous change of input using the remote.

First impressions were surprising - absolutely NO change in AQ!! Switching inputs was without any accompanying clicks or pops so once levels had been matched (the LKS has a volume control) the comparison was simple. I was genuinely surprised to detect absolutely no change in audio signal as, from previous experience, all items do have specific signatures and that drives us nuts in giving the illusion the sound is improved when in fact it is only slightly different.

But then things deteriorated. All I heard from 192/24 and DSD formats was static. Then the R8 started to do the same on all formats so I made the assumption the R8 was faulty.

WRONG. Once the balanced digital from the Aries G1 bridge was fed direct into the R8 all formats played nicely.

All this is very puzzling. The Canford splitter had been used here for years without problems but, as you can see from the accompanying diagram, is now replaced by a powered 4 way splitter. Maybe the LKS was happy with a reduced signal from the Canford but the R8 was not. I'm in touch with Kingwa at Audio-gd about that because I want to be able to compare the R8 to the LKS as before. If necessary I'll drag out the Henry Engineering powered splitter to do that, but currently, I do not think the R8 is any better than the modded LKS DA-004. If that is the case I believe we might have finally reached the stage of being able to get top level DACs at reasonable prices.

All report on further progress after some lengthy listening today - I'm retired so can do that :smile_phones:.
If R8 mint is on the same level as your fully burnt in LKS, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after 600-800 hours.

Mar 2, 2021 at 7:57 PM Post #6,568 of 11,260
If R8 mint is on the same level as your fully burnt in LKS, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised after 600-800 hours.
I’m not having any problems at the moment but do concede it is unfair to compare a well run in LKS to a relatively new R8 so should hold back further comment until the R8 had another few hundred hours on it. Currently I find it very difficult to distinguish between the sound via the LKS and the R8 but that could change. I might (or might not) be hearing a slightly smoother sound on some classical music from the R8 but cannot detect any difference on a wide variety of non popular fare. Later I will use the powered AES splitter to compare, eliminating any compromises caused by the splitter.

All very frustrating. I had hoped to hear an obvious improvement in music reproduction, especially the classical fare, but currently there is no such obvious difference. I might get some other ears to listen to see if that person can detect any difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back