New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 5, 2019 at 7:39 PM Post #4,757 of 11,260
I just got the connector removed and the wires swapped, and now I find that the connector on the USB Blaster is too big. Can you recommend which one I should have? This is the one I have https://www.ebay.com/itm/Altera-Min...992744?hash=item1cd2756328:g:jLcAAOSwmLlX3WK2
IMG_20190805_193013.jpg
IMG_20190805_193141.jpg

It seems to be of ok size from the link you supplied but i could be wrong. See my blaster:

Aug 5, 2019 at 7:50 PM Post #4,759 of 11,260
You can temporarily remove the settings cable if too tight. Don't rely on the 4th picture of the guide, it from the r7. The first is the correct one

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:06 PM Post #4,763 of 11,260
Ok. Thanks. Is there any special way to get the two pieces connected?
If mean getting the cable in, you have to make sure it is properly aligned. The first bit of the travel is quite easy, if not the alignment is bad. All pin should be contained, if so you can push in without any risk To get it fully in, you need to apply some pressure. To remove the cable afterward, you need a good pull. Be as gentle as possible, you can wiggle it a bit, this should help. And you can hold the pcb at the same time, but avoid pushing on components.

Don't forget the dac has to be turned off and the blaster has to be without power.

Same thing to get it out.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 8:34 PM Post #4,765 of 11,260
Weird thing:

I just tried to update Asy3 firmware in my R2R7. I did it with a friend of mine laptop (always need to borrow one as I only have Mac). This was the first time I used my friend's laptop. I downloaded the .jic file and Altera Programmer 1.21 as usual. No issues until the end of the process when then status bar freezed at 85%. I waited several minutes and the tried to stoped it with no luck, only alternative was to kill the Programmer. Did it and next I checked if the dac was still OK by playing some music...everything OK. Then I went back to install the previous version of the Asy firmware as I knew it sould install correctly and same thing happened, freezed at 85%. Curious thing is at the log below the message 'configuration succeeded - 1 device' appeared. Tried it one more time with Asy3 and same result. I must assume at this stage the problem is either the windows version or the laptop I'm using.

I stopped trying and I'm right now listening to some music. Could be placebo effect, but I believe Asy3 got finally installed, because I'm hearing better sound from my R2R7.

Did someone experienced a similar issue as me when installing new firmware? Is there a way on knowing which firmware version is running on the DSP?

Thanks

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 10:15 PM Post #4,767 of 11,260
Weird thing: I just tried to update Asy3 firmware in my R2R7. I did it with a friend of mine laptop (always need to borrow one as I only have Mac). This was the first time I used my friend's laptop. I downloaded the .jic file and Altera Programmer 1.21 as usual. No issues until the end of the process when the status bar freezed at 85%. I waited several minutes and the tried to stoped it with no luck, only alternative was to kill the Programmer. Did it and next I checked if the dac was still OK by playing some music...everything OK. Then I went back to install the previous version of the Asy firmware as I knew it sould install correctly and same thing happened, freezed at 85%. Curious thing is at the log below the

For whatever reasons stalling about 80% is usually in the Verify stage of programming. First is Erase, then Program, and then Verify.

Could be a lot of reasons why but the computer is definitely suspect. I've seen flaky JTAG clocks stall program cycles as well as USB issues.

To figure out what you have loaded you can manual 'Verify' the FGPA's programming against a file. If totally lost 'Examine' will return a checksum of what is loaded in the FPGA. You can compare this checksum against the file checksums. Of course the JTAG/USB chain has to be healthy to do this reliably.

Edit: And on my Win 10 PC the Blaster doesn’t work correctly with the native PC motherboard USB ports. Similar issue as you experience. But the same PC and the Blaster works OK when connected to the PCIe USB board. ?? USB went to hell on my PC when I upgraded Win 8.1 to 10. The PCIe USB board (JCAT) has been a lifesaver.

Last edited:
Aug 5, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #4,768 of 11,260
@anroj Use a well lit work area. And you may find demo videos on YouTube. Search “USB Blaster”.

Thanks for the suggestion. Youtube wasn't much help. The videos I found were to either download the drivers, how to build your own USB Blaster, or how to program something. My issue is how the connector of the blaster connects with the R8 connector.

Aug 6, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #4,770 of 11,260
Weird thing:

I just tried to update Asy3 firmware in my R2R7. I did it with a friend of mine laptop (always need to borrow one as I only have Mac). This was the first time I used my friend's laptop. I downloaded the .jic file and Altera Programmer 1.21 as usual. No issues until the end of the process when then status bar freezed at 85%. I waited several minutes and the tried to stoped it with no luck, only alternative was to kill the Programmer. Did it and next I checked if the dac was still OK by playing some music...everything OK. Then I went back to install the previous version of the Asy firmware as I knew it sould install correctly and same thing happened, freezed at 85%. Curious thing is at the log below the message 'configuration succeeded - 1 device' appeared. Tried it one more time with Asy3 and same result. I must assume at this stage the problem is either the windows version or the laptop I'm using.

I stopped trying and I'm right now listening to some music. Could be placebo effect, but I believe Asy3 got finally installed, because I'm hearing better sound from my R2R7.

Did someone experienced a similar issue as me when installing new firmware? Is there a way on knowing which firmware version is running on the DSP?

Thanks
oh, I thought there is no Asy firmware for R2R7 at all ?? Only up to V3. At least I don't seem to find the Asy3 firmware on Magna

Users who are viewing this thread

Back