New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 2, 2019 at 1:43 PM Post #4,727 of 11,260
Vince Galbo of MSB put out a white paper on AC Power some years ago describing the relationship between AC wire resistance and the power amp drawing instantaneous current in response to the music demands.
Essentially, the AC voltage waveform gets clipped upon transient current demand of the amp. Depending on the AC wire resistance and the amplifier power supply demands, the harmonics generated back to the AC line are modulated by the music signal which feeds your front end components and even being re ingested by the amp itself.
I have voltage regulated Krell mono blocks fed by 60' of 10 AWG at 240VAC. According to Galbo's wiring chart, this should have been sufficient.
On a whim, I ran separate 6AWG feeds and shortened the runs by about ten feet. The result was a much more relaxed presentation, clearer transients and soundstage.
Not sure if this even applies to headphone amps, but just sharing my experience with the power amp as a major source of corrupted power and its effect.... For what it's worth.

Another aspect of the power amp that theoretically [I don't have a scope to measure these things but am motivated to try solutions and comparatively evaluate the results] pollutes the power line are high frequency harmonics from high-current bridge rectifiers in the power amp. On the theory that the power cord and AC wiring act as antennas radiating these frequencies into speaker wire and interconnects to modulate with the music signal, it has led me to experiment and research what I could on the topic. There is a lot of voodoo marketing to wade through but I found this cable review motivational https://www.stereophile.com/cables/407jps/index.html along with Jensen Transformer President Bill Whitlock's white paper illustrating how ground loop noise getting into balanced interconnects and power supplies can modulate with the music and obscure low level detail and important phase information crucial to imaging and accurate harmonic reproduction. For my system, I found upping the AC wire gauge and using silver contact paste on all AC connections to be critical. I did an experiment inspired from Art Dudley's cable review mentioned above, and wrapped ERS around an AC cord made from 10 AWG ROMEX, insulated it and covered it in a tube of copper shot and grounded the shot at the outlet end. It wasn't night and day but the effect was positive. I did the same for my Analysis Plus Silver interconnects which after seeing how these are made, violated all of Whitlock's criteria for properly designed balanced interconnects, and the results where a bit more positive than the power cords in terms of further relaxing the delivery, naturalness, imaging, blacker background without rolling off the treble. I have come to associate zingy treble with RF modulating the music signal. I ordered an R8HE on 7/18 and am anxious to compare the [hopefully] step up in SQ. I am curious to try out NOS as well as PCM upsampling in Roon to NOS at 352.8 for 44.1K files and 384 for 96K/192K files if that can be done, to shift the Aliasing distortion way out of the audio band. I ordered a 240V HE version as my entire system is balanced. Another week or two for expected delivery... Can't wait!

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #4,728 of 11,260
For I2S to function on R8_Asy3 two signals need to swap on the I2S internal cable. The reason for the change is to place I2S BCK signal on a dedicated FPGA clock resource pin. MCLK is now wired to the FPGA clock input but no longer needed with TDA firmware

I primarily use I2S input but in the off chance that I don't, do any of the other inputs suffer from this cable swap?

Aug 2, 2019 at 8:47 PM Post #4,730 of 11,260
I primarily use I2S input but in the off chance that I don't, do any of the other inputs suffer from this cable swap?

It’s specifically the R8’s external I2S input only. The other inputs use the same connections as they did before. USB has BCK and MCLK but no mention. USB BCK could already be connected to a proper pin.

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #4,732 of 11,260
C1520D09-4C70-4B28-91CD-15B0EE0B64B4.jpeg
Hi all, i need some urgent help in loading fw using altera usb blaster. I got to the last stage when i pressed start but it “failed”
What did i do wrong?

Aug 2, 2019 at 11:22 PM Post #4,735 of 11,260
Are you sure the connector is in the proper direction?
Yah u are right, i plugged the wrong way first time as there was no instruction on the correct orientation. I flipped the connector to the DAC round and it worked! The plug could go deeper when in correct orientation. It does not sound good now as the DAC is off too long. I loaded V3S

Aug 3, 2019 at 11:20 AM Post #4,738 of 11,260
Tda asy was the only firmware for an hdmi i2s card on input 5 (normaly usb). It works with asy3, swapping is only necessary on input 4. Gustard u16 and ps audio pwt....both with i2s running on the r8. Had some conversation with mr. Kingwa before....even if the i2s plugs on the mainboard seems to be the same, they are not, you are right....

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #4,739 of 11,260
Tda asy was the only firmware for an hdmi i2s card on input 5 (normaly usb). It works with asy3, swapping is only necessary on input 4. Gustard u16 and ps audio pwt....both with i2s running on the r8. Had some conversation with mr. Kingwa before....even if the i2s plugs on the mainboard seems to be the same, they are not, you are right....
I see. Which transport do you like most between the two?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back