New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 26, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #931 of 11,260
I still use the setting 4x os with dithering
I recall the OS jumpers being more of a complement for the smooth FW than for the accurate. On accurate I'm doing NOS0+PLL, but doing 4x OS in JRiver using experimental SoX kicks it up nicely. I also disable JRiver's default filter, which I think is dither.

(an observation I've neglected to mention...)
When comparing other DACs to the R2R7 I often look for the part of the track that's at peek volume -- a crescendo of instruments and/or vocals that is closest to clipping. For some reason the R2R7 maintains composure through these passages while a Sabre DAC may at best survive those same notes. Tube DACs and vinyl also do well in this regard.

Jan 26, 2018 at 2:42 PM Post #932 of 11,260
Nice that people give feedback like this, this brings life to this thread. There are in proportion too many of my passionate/provocative posts in it. From this welcome and sudden burst of comments, there seems to be a trend as to the r2r 7 is evolving in the right direction. Aging well like a fine wine. And many passionate r2r 7 owners like me. Looking forward to getting home and spending yet another evening listening to it, cause the last 4 ones were fabulous.

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:10 PM Post #934 of 11,260
I recall the OS jumpers being more of a complement for the smooth FW than for the accurate. On accurate I'm doing NOS0+PLL, but doing 4x OS in JRiver using experimental SoX kicks it up nicely. I also disable JRiver's default filter, which I think is dither.

(an observation I've neglected to mention...)
When comparing other DACs to the R2R7 I often look for the part of the track that's at peek volume -- a crescendo of instruments and/or vocals that is closest to clipping. For some reason the R2R7 maintains composure through these passages while a Sabre DAC may at best survive those same notes. Tube DACs and vinyl also do well in this regard.
@Wynnytsky what do you mean by NOS0? NOS with digital filter (meaning S2 jumper off and IPS0 and IPS1 on)? 'Cause as far as I know in 'pure' NOS mode (analog filter) there's only Mode 1, 2 and 3

Jan 26, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #935 of 11,260
NOS with digital filter (meaning S2 jumper off and IPS0 and IPS1 on)?
Yeah I figured "NOS0" would be a good name for that. And I think I set ATT0&1 to whatever 6moons went with.
upload_2018-1-26_15-38-3.png

If I can I'll try filming the big6/r2r7 comparison

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:01 PM Post #937 of 11,260
Yeah I figured "NOS0" would be a good name for that. And I think I set ATT0&1 to whatever 6moons went with.

If I can I'll try filming the big6/r2r7 comparison
NOS0 is a good tag indeed... :nerd:

I believe ATT0&1 change the Stop Band Attenuation which is set by default at -130db. I also believe 6moons settings (both ON) will set it to -90db. I recall back in the days when I had my Ref 5.32 I used to prefer it set to NOS and SBA -90db, then I modified it to 'pure' NOS and everything improved. Of course, firmware and digital filters were not the same back in that days.

Jan 26, 2018 at 4:14 PM Post #938 of 11,260
NOS0 is a good tag indeed... :nerd:

I believe ATT0&1 change the Stop Band Attenuation which is set by default at -130db. I also believe 6moons settings (both ON) will set it to -90db. I recall back in the days when I had my Ref 5.32 I used to prefer it set to NOS and SBA -90db, then I modified it to 'pure' NOS and everything improved. Of course, firmware and digital filters were not the same back in that days.

I use the 6 moons setting with sw upsampling. That is a great combination with my setup. 4 consecutives jumpers are needed.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #940 of 11,260
Ok anyone in Chicago with one I can hear?

Too bad, i am in Quebec City.

The quality of the sound, overall, and most remarkably the treble is again breathtaking tonight. I don't think the treble could sound better. Ever. It has reached the top of Mount Everest. And if we go higher, there will be no air left, so no music. :) It's not worth going to Moon or any other such fancy and snobby brand. Perfection has a cost: being almost anonymous. Try doing name–dropping with Aufio-gd. :beyersmile:

Audio-gd, the gears you buy just for the way they sound.

Jan 26, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #941 of 11,260
Too bad, i am in Quebec City.

The quality of the sound, overall, and most remarkably the treble is again breathtaking tonight. I don't think the treble could sound better. Ever. It has reached the top of Mount Everest. And if we go higher, there will be no air left, so no music. :) It's not worth going to Moon or any other such fancy and snobby brand. Perfection has a cost: being almost anonymous. Try doing name–dropping with Aufio-gd. :beyersmile:

Audio-gd, the gears you buy just for the way they sound.

Wowwww. What a comment. I'm hundred 100% agree with you. :)

Jan 27, 2018 at 7:13 AM Post #943 of 11,260
Configurability may be a large strength of the R2R 7 so let us know what you are hearing and please list input, firmware, and DSP modes/ settings.
SOtM sMS-200ultra/sPS-500 > Tubulus Argentus USB V2 > Singxer SU-1 MagnaFied > Tubulus Argentus I2S HDMI > Audio GD R2R 7HE
Firmware: smooth (standard) on NOS mode 2.

Jan 27, 2018 at 9:33 AM Post #945 of 11,260
image.jpg
Fred what upsampling SW are you using. Was it Izotope? Anyway, thanks for the info....
Yes izotope in Audirvana. Output frequency is maxed to the limit supported by the r2r 7, of course with the six moon config.

See my settings. They can certainly be improved upon but raising the number of samples from 500000 to a million is key. The interface is in french, let me know if you need a translation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back