New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jan 27, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #946 of 11,274
Do you own the r2r 7 as well? You don't have to but to qualify for commentiing, you have to own a remarkably good sounding audio-gd gear. Pick any currrently sold ones.:) Cheers to audio-gd and Kingwa. :beerchug:
Do you own the r2r 7 as well? You don't have to but to qualify for commentiing, you have to own a remarkably good sounding audio-gd gear. Pick any currrently sold ones.:) Cheers to audio-gd and Kingwa. :beerchug:

I have quite a few pieces of Audio-GD since I first try the first Ref1 and recently I just received M11 Singularity, and R2R 7 HE. :)

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #950 of 11,274

Yes izotope in Audirvana. Output frequency is maxed to the limit supported by the r2r 7, of course with the six moon config.

See my settings. They can certainly be improved upon but raising the number of samples from 500000 to a million is key. The interface is in french, let me know if you need a translation.

Hi @FredA, given your enthusiasm of your current setup, I just tried Audirvana as well today, including the settings you use, and compared it with HQPlayer.

Using Audirvana would be a big benefit since it directly supports Tidal, saving me the price of Roon. Also I think the Audirvana interface is a lot nicer, compared to the sparse Java-like thing that is HQplayer. HQPlayer is pricy software, and I was still using it in trial mode, restarting it every 30 minutes.

I found I could stream from Audirvana to the Mano by installing a DNLA streamer, which is directly supported for install by DietPI, so setup was a matter of minutes, and switching between the two white testing was a matter of seconds.

The difference between HQPlayer and Audirvana, in my setup, was striking. The closed form filters of HQPlayer were both a lot more realistic and dynamic. But the most striking difference is in density of the tones. Vocabulary is always an issue when describing what we hear, but there seems less air and more body to the voices and instruments.

In short, something the closed filters in HQPlayer do sounds completely natural and right by my ears. So much so, that just now I voted with my wallet and purchased HQPlayer. If you have not tried it, I recommend you give it a try.

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:10 PM Post #951 of 11,274
Hi @FredA, given your enthusiasm of your current setup, I just tried Audirvana as well today, including the settings you use, and compared it with HQPlayer.

Using Audirvana would be a big benefit since it directly supports Tidal, saving me the price of Roon. Also I think the Audirvana interface is a lot nicer, compared to the sparse Java-like thing that is HQplayer. HQPlayer is pricy software, and I was still using it in trial mode, restarting it every 30 minutes.

I found I could stream from Audirvana to the Mano by installing a DNLA streamer, which is directly supported for install by DietPI, so setup was a matter of minutes, and switching between the two white testing was a matter of seconds.

The difference between HQPlayer and Audirvana, in my setup, was striking. The closed form filters of HQPlayer were both a lot more realistic and dynamic. But the most striking difference is in density of the tones. Vocabulary is always an issue when describing what we hear, but there seems less air and more body to the voices and instruments.

In short, something the closed filters in HQPlayer do sounds completely natural and right by my ears. So much so, that just now I voted with my wallet and purchased HQPlayer. If you have not tried it, I recommend you give it a try.
I am interested of course, Available on macos? Is compatible with i-tune or standalone? Is there a ios remote available?

Jan 27, 2018 at 12:29 PM Post #952 of 11,274
Made me run a search. There is a new very high-quality upsampler in audirvana: Sox. I will give it a try.

Just did try it for the second time. It sounds bad.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #954 of 11,274
I am interested of course, Available on macos? Is compatible with i-tune or standalone? Is there a ios remote available?

The basic interface is less practical than Audirvana. However it does integrate with Roon very nicely, Roon supports HQPlayer as an endpoint, so it is point and click. Roon then allows me control from iOS. And Roon also integrates with both iTunes and and Tidal very nicely. Both run fine on a mac.

Roon connected to HQPlayer:

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 18.33.43.png

HQPlayer connected to my Mano (in my case, can also be your DAC directly)

Screen Shot 2018-01-27 at 18.34.25.png

iOS interface to Roon:

IMG_5668.png

Jan 27, 2018 at 2:52 PM Post #957 of 11,274
all my friends are using Roon+HQ. I'm stuck on JRiver cause I'm married to the Dirac VST plugin

The lifetime price of Roon+HQ is significant enough that one might instead entertain a media player appliance and be free of all software (windows included)
https://www.melco-audio.com/

I haven't tried ethernet endpoints because I like to retain the unlimited flexibility of software, but one of these would negate the advantages of HQ?
http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/

Jan 27, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #958 of 11,274
An
all my friends are using Roon+HQ. I'm stuck on JRiver cause I'm married to the Dirac VST plugin

The lifetime price of Roon+HQ is significant enough that one might instead entertain a media player appliance and be free of all software (windows included)
https://www.melco-audio.com/

I haven't tried ethernet endpoints because I like to retain the unlimited flexibility of software, but one of these would negate the advantages of HQ?
http://www.sonore.us/microRendu.html
https://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english/portfolio-item/sms-200/
Anything that integrates with itune, with the best filters avaibles would be my ideal solution. I do not want to pay 500$ just for software. It's a rip off. I will write my own when/if i have time. I do this for a living and am specialized in data processing.

Jan 27, 2018 at 10:37 PM Post #959 of 11,274
I do not want to pay 500$ just for software
That's why I just renew JRiver every year for around $20.

Roon's primary value is that it let's you throw music into a drive with little to no meta data, and you don't even need to make folders!
Most people don't have the Aspergers like attention required to organize a terabyte of music with folders, album art, and metadata.
Another great feature of Roon is that it is friends with HQPlayer. HQPlayer sounds really really good but has a UI far worse than foobar's. I think HQ is $150, so add that to whatever you spend on Roon.

High price and no APE support aside, each one of these reasons were big enough for me to pass on Roon:
-no physical folder view -- everything is ordered by metadata, so you can know the exact location of an album but not find it in Roon if the metadata is poor and it's too obscure to show up in whatever shazam/soundhound like sampling service Roon uses.
-no ISO (SACD) or CUE support? I'm not sure what the state of Roon is today but when I saw it early on I was shocked to see these omitted. I think I read that ISOs still must be converted to DSF?
-no VST support

I think Roon prices it's product RELATIVE to the insanity we're spending elsewhere in this hobby (wires, wire terminals, outlets, tweaks, etc).
If you see Roon driving a $50k+ system you wouldn't bat an eye. Nobody would be like, "wow I can't believe they're letting Roon play in this rig", because we know it wouldn't be the bottle neck.

wine and cheese time...

Jan 28, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #960 of 11,274
That's why I just renew JRiver every year for around $20.

Roon's primary value is that it let's you throw music into a drive with little to no meta data, and you don't even need to make folders!
Most people don't have the Aspergers like attention required to organize a terabyte of music with folders, album art, and metadata.
Another great feature of Roon is that it is friends with HQPlayer. HQPlayer sounds really really good but has a UI far worse than foobar's. I think HQ is $150, so add that to whatever you spend on Roon.

High price and no APE support aside, each one of these reasons were big enough for me to pass on Roon:
-no physical folder view -- everything is ordered by metadata, so you can know the exact location of an album but not find it in Roon if the metadata is poor and it's too obscure to show up in whatever shazam/soundhound like sampling service Roon uses.
-no ISO (SACD) or CUE support? I'm not sure what the state of Roon is today but when I saw it early on I was shocked to see these omitted. I think I read that ISOs still must be converted to DSF?
-no VST support

I think Roon prices it's product RELATIVE to the insanity we're spending elsewhere in this hobby (wires, wire terminals, outlets, tweaks, etc).
If you see Roon driving a $50k+ system you wouldn't bat an eye. Nobody would be like, "wow I can't believe they're letting Roon play in this rig", because we know it wouldn't be the bottle neck.

wine and cheese time...
Maybe Kingwa will come up with a closed-form filter like Schiit and we won't need to chain 3 softwares together. I would pay a fair amount for this. My needs are rather basic. I just play pcm files, 99.5% of 44/16. So i need excellent upsampling. I don't care much about any other features besides an ios remote and other convenience elements like this.

The r2r 7 is very very accurate and it will benefit from the best upsampling techniques available. In the mean time, i am still extatic with the way it sounds now just with izotope. Again, the highs are out of this world. Grainless, no harshness and ultra-resolved. And no exageration. It's top notch. Same for the lows. Excellent mids as well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back