New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Feb 2, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #976 of 11,282
A: As far as I know, Roon can only act as a source, not as an endpoint.
2- Make PC2 a music client: install Roon as client on PC1 and any other PC's, and connect that Roon to the Roon endpoint on PC2.
Do those statements contradict?
I did leave him with a Roon-PC1 => Roon-PC2 setup last year (I think I made one of them a "headless" install) and now I'd like to take another crack at getting HQ in the mix.
My 1st question would be, which computer do I put it on?
(I have more questions but I best leave it there)

I have to be careful with names because my brain is still wired with the simple old school client/server perspective:
I'm calling server (aka PC1, office) the place where the music lives. It's got the large drives/ram/cpu/fans, schedules periodic backups, and most important, a proper ergonomic chair/keyboard/mouse for pirating&organizing music.
I'm calling client (aka PC2, renderer, ethernet endpoint) to be any computer (or network appliance) that's connected to a DAC
I only want one server (ie: one music library) but I sometimes have more than one stereo (client)

Feb 2, 2018 at 11:54 AM Post #977 of 11,282
I doubt Gallo 3.5´s will ever make it into my room...

What do yo mean by that @motberg ?

Feb 2, 2018 at 12:37 PM Post #978 of 11,282
Do those statements contradict?
I did leave him with a Roon-PC1 => Roon-PC2 setup last year (I think I made one of them a "headless" install) and now I'd like to take another crack at getting HQ in the mix.
My 1st question would be, which computer do I put it on?
(I have more questions but I best leave it there)

I have to be careful with names because my brain is still wired with the simple old school client/server perspective:
I'm calling server (aka PC1, office) the place where the music lives. It's got the large drives/ram/cpu/fans, schedules periodic backups, and most important, a proper ergonomic chair/keyboard/mouse for pirating&organizing music.
I'm calling client (aka PC2, renderer, ethernet endpoint) to be any computer (or network appliance) that's connected to a DAC
I only want one server (ie: one music library) but I sometimes have more than one stereo (client)

Hi Wynnytsky,

So your music is on another PC that you want to play on?

- Run Roon server on PC1 and connect to you music files
- Run HQPlayer on PC2, connect to your DAC
- Tell Roon on PC1 to play over HQPlayer on PC2

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:29 PM Post #979 of 11,282
Hi Wynnytsky,

So your music is on another PC that you want to play on?

- Run Roon server on PC1 and connect to you music files
- Run HQPlayer on PC2, connect to your DAC
- Tell Roon on PC1 to play over HQPlayer on PC2

I would totally love that, but reading this I see HQPlayer Desktop isn't a uPnP renderer:
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/37611-jriver-to-hqplayer-upnp-support-added-limited/
Although there's "HQPlayer Embedded" for linux that is upnp. That targets the ethernet endpoint appliance market

Feb 2, 2018 at 1:42 PM Post #980 of 11,282
Feb 2, 2018 at 1:45 PM Post #981 of 11,282
You can connect Roon to an HQPlayer on another computer. So Roon on PC1, HQPlayer on PC2 with your DAC.
Screen Shot 2018-02-02 at 19.44.27.png

Feb 3, 2018 at 2:14 PM Post #985 of 11,282
Life is so good with the R2r 7 for the last two weeks. Since i sorted out the issue with feeding the intona. Before that, my mac mini would crash after around 24 hours of continuous playing handling 384/24 contents. Not anymore.

The r2r 7 is a such a great dac. It has no weakness, other than requiring software upsampling with the accurate fw to sound at its best and 6 months to settle. But i am convinced that Kingwa will sort this the os issue out. I really don't care if he does or not at it is. I get close to perfect, to perfect sound night after night. My setup sounds ridiculously good. I think ithis is my last dac. It's that good. Some will say the high-end Chords are better. Really? I just don't care. I am deep into music already as it is and for me, it is the ultimate evasion. I don't need anything else.

Feb 4, 2018 at 4:56 PM Post #987 of 11,282
Just want to thank you guys for all the comments, especially regarding break-in and settings results.

I got a R2R 1 on the way. Since I already use a NOS7, I am thinking first try running the R2R 1 at 8x OS, and/or maybe try oversampling in HQPlayer with one of the R2R 1 NOS settings.

(so far I have had no luck finding computer oversampling settings that sound better than native files, and I have tried 3 different purchased oversampling programs.. but I have tested this idea enough to appreciate the ability to tweak the sound in this manner).

I will run one DAC through a tube preamp, and the other through a Master 1. This will allow me to select from tube or ss style presentations.

I also would like to explore classical music more, but my current sound-stage presentation is very small compared to my largest in-home personal sound reference (well-fed Carver Amazing Platinums) which could give orchestral recordings some sense of the space and slam they deserve. I doubt Gallo 3.5´s will ever make it into my room... but I hope somewhere down the road I can find some floor standers that will give that cohesive floor-to-ceiling image and slam that I found so breathtaking with the Carvers.

Looking forward to hear your impressions with the R2R 1. I've been interested in getting that Dac.

Feb 4, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #989 of 11,282
Roon can act as an endpoint. It can also act as a player or server. The idea is that you can split up these functions on different devices (computers) or have them on the same computer as you wish. You can have a whole network of devices even and play back different audio through different components at the same time.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2018 at 9:11 PM Post #990 of 11,282
I live in China and I think importation and freight fees would put these way over budget as it seems that Gallo is not well represented here currently...
You are my neighbor,can we comparing R2R1 vs. Dam1 feed lt3045's digital line with LPS1 ,analog line:ac choke-R core-lt1084-lt1963-lt3045 without output stage and unnecessary DSP,cheap tcxo,........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back