New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 5, 2017 at 6:45 PM Post #438 of 11,315
so now death match Holo spring KTE VS The Terminator VS R2r 7 VS R2r 7 HE ? I myself go for Holo sure I own Holo. What can I say but still interesting about r2r 7 HE or The Terminator. For me hard to upgrade from Holo spring It will be very expensive nothing below 10thousand cant touch r2r base DAC. All 4 DACs great for sure.

Oct 5, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #439 of 11,315
Is this better or worse sounding then the schiit yggrisdal?

The Yggy is a bit more 'dry' than the R2R 7. It may be a bit more detailed in very careful listening, but it was extremely close for me. Soundstage perception is next on my list.

Oct 5, 2017 at 11:53 PM Post #440 of 11,315
The Yggy is a bit more 'dry' than the R2R 7. It may be a bit more detailed in very careful listening, but it was extremely close for me. Soundstage perception is next on my list.

Looking forward to hearing more :beerchug:

Oct 6, 2017 at 4:34 PM Post #441 of 11,315
so now death match Holo spring KTE VS The Terminator VS R2r 7 VS R2r 7 HE ? I myself go for Holo sure I own Holo. What can I say but still interesting about r2r 7 HE or The Terminator. For me hard to upgrade from Holo spring It will be very expensive nothing below 10thousand cant touch r2r base DAC. All 4 DACs great for sure.

Which one of these is faster/tighter on bass frequencies?

Oct 6, 2017 at 5:42 PM Post #442 of 11,315
Which one of these is faster/tighter on bass frequencies?
Go read the review of 6 moons on the Terminator. At the end the review, there is a comparo between the Terminator, Yggdrasil, Holo Kistsune and other dacs. You might find some info.

The Holo does not make the final by the way. The Terminator finishes second just ahead of the Yggdrasil. What i conclude from all the info available is the r2r 7 is about equal or a little better than the Terminator. I conclude also that the r2r 7 he version easilly beats the Terminator and is one of the top dacs on the market today. It's a thousand dollars cheaper than the Terminator. Seems like a no brainer to me unless you are very much into dsd.

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:05 PM Post #444 of 11,315
Go read the review of 6 moons on the Terminator. At the end the review, there is a comparo between the Terminator, Yggdrasil, Holo Kistsune and other dacs. You might find some info.

The Holo does not make the final by the way. The Terminator finishes second just ahead of the Yggdrasil. What i conclude from all the info available is the r2r 7 is about equal or a little better than the Terminator. I conclude also that the r2r 7 he version easilly beats the Terminator and is one of the top dacs on the market today. It's a thousand dollars cheaper than the Terminator. Seems like a no brainer to me unless you are very much into dsd.

That just made me want to keep my Yggdrasil. I'm entertaining getting a R2R 7 because I own a Master 1, Master 9, and Master 3. Although the Yggy + Audio GD make a heavenly combo.

Oct 6, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #445 of 11,315
That just made me want to keep my Yggdrasil. I'm entertaining getting a R2R 7 because I own a Master 1, Master 9, and Master 3. Although the Yggy + Audio GD make a heavenly combo.
One plus with an audio-gd combo is you can get a better sound using the accs connection. But owning the Yggdrasil and being satisfied with the match, it's most probably not worth changing. Unless you go to the he version (bigger, heavier, more expensive).

All i know is audio-gd has made a statement on the custom r2r dac scene with its latest products. Too bad those guys at 6 moon are ignorant about it.

I am playing with cables now to optimise my setup. Trying some acss and xlr cables, like the audio art ic-3 (inexpensive but very good). And soon a simple Mogami balanced cable, which is supposed to have excellent neutrality. Some power cable also next (whatever i can get as a bargain on ebay).

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:22 PM Post #446 of 11,315
Well I used to have the Master 7 and the Yggy beat it, that was acss vs xlr. My Master 7 did not have the much lauded dsp upgrade though. The Yggy actually sounds better (with Audio GD stuff) using RCA outs as the XLRs are a bit too hot for Audio GD preamps IMHO.

Oct 6, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #447 of 11,315
Well I used to have the Master 7 and the Yggy beat it, that was acss vs xlr. My Master 7 did not have the much lauded dsp upgrade though. The Yggy actually sounds better (with Audio GD stuff) using RCA outs as the XLRs are a bit too hot for Audio GD preamps IMHO.
The old M7 with new firmware, pll off, driven through i2s by an excellent transport is really excellent. Some prefer it to the Yggdrasil. I would not make a depression if i had to sell my R2R 7 and go back to the M7. I like both a lot. The r2r 7 has more definition, is smoother and objectively clearly better, but the M7 is about as good at getting you into music, it is just more discrete at doing so. Also, the m7 is more laid back, which suits me better.

On the other hand, the r2r 7 is more lively and excellent at getting your attention with a very rich medium. The r2r 7 has also clearly better depth. Its stereo image is so accurate.

Oct 6, 2017 at 9:35 PM Post #449 of 11,315
Yep thats what I had. I used the CI Audio Transient MK2 for usb to I2S conversion. You will probably find a ton of my posts in the old "Thoughts on a bunch of dacs (and why sigma delta sucks)" thread.

This thread with the reviews on that huge bunch of dacs was really great, and seemed very objective to me (for a change). I consulted this thread on many occasions. This very elaborate comparison is the most informative i have ever seen anywhere. My favorite thread ever. Thanks a lot to the author (yourself?), it was so useful. Really great reporting.

Oct 7, 2017 at 3:47 AM Post #450 of 11,315
It is the words "rich medium" that scares me the most. I had master 7 with updated firmware feed by di-2014 via interface through i2s, sold them, tested denafrips terminator (on new speakers unfortunately) and found it to be too slow on bass frequencies in respect of my previous configuration. What I would like to understand is if r2r7 (maybe even he version) is better or worst in terms of bass/medium tightness over m7 or terminator. Otherwise I will buy he7 singularity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back