New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 9, 2023 at 3:19 AM Post #10,006 of 11,301
I'd have to have a RJ45 to hmdi custom cable created which is unlikely to work IMO.

AES or coaxial would be my likely connection method.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:27 AM Post #10,007 of 11,301
REQUEST:

It could be nice to see new agd dacs and amps in the DI20HE formfactor. Just sayin😍

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #10,008 of 11,301
REQUEST:

It could be nice to see new agd dacs and amps in the DI20HE formfactor. Just sayin😍

Yeah, stackability would be nice. But I'd rather see the DI-20HE in the R7 form factor :wink:

Deja vu, I think we had this exact discussion a while back :D

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:33 AM Post #10,009 of 11,301
Yeah, stackability would be nice. But I'd rather see the DI-20HE in the R7 form factor :wink:

Deja vu, I think we had this exact discussion a while back :D
🤫😅😂

True…but that was seperating the PSU.

The R1 looks the same though?

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #10,010 of 11,301
🤫😅😂

True…but that was seperating the PSU.

The R1 looks the same though?

Same as the DI-20HE? Good question, I don't know but I would bet it is more similar to the base DI-20 than the HE version.

Mar 9, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #10,011 of 11,301
Same as the DI-20HE? Good question, I don't know but I would bet it is more similar to the base DI-20 than the HE version.
Yeah…

But you right a new ddc release from AGD in more wider formfactor matching my HE9 and R8, would also be nice.

Damn a DDC on that size would straight up sent me to Mars!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #10,012 of 11,301
Please can I ask, how different is the R7HE 2020 Vs MK2?

I've been offered a used one locally and thinking of buying it.
I did the USB Isolator and newer synchronous USB upgrade for a friend of mine on his R7HE 2020, just two cables to solder finally, and then you can upgrade the FPGA FW to have the clock synch as stated by Fred, so you have finally a 2021 version.

SQ is increasing a lot on USB and in a good enough way on HDMI if you have a DI20/DI20HE upfront, a very good investment bringing you very close to MKII version

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:21 PM Post #10,013 of 11,301
Guys it seems like these GD DACs aren't being run at their best with AES or Spdif inputs is that a fair comment?

The issue is that the two "arguably" absolute best transports on the market are the Grimm MU1 and Aqua LinQ (which I have). Neither offer I2S or USB output only Coaxial or AES....

Does this mean I should avoid GD DACs?

PS the LinQ does have RJ45 I2S but it's proprietary to their ridiculously overpriced Formula xhd.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2023 at 4:35 PM Post #10,015 of 11,301
Definitely not!

And I believe AES comes very close to I2S – to the point of boiling down to personal preference. Others with direct experience will chime in....
I agree completely. I run AES into my R8 MK2 about half the time.

The only time you really need IIS is when you play DXD or high rate DSD (128 or above). I prefer AES/EBU generally over IIS because it has locking connectors and is 100% compatible across pro and hifi devices whereas IIS can be a pain. And I make my own AES/EBU cables but have no idea how to make an HDMI cable.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #10,016 of 11,301
REQUEST:

I'm very much enjoying my pair of Precision 3S amps which utilize that came chassis. I am looking to upgrade beyond them for my main speakers, and then relegate the 3Ss to rear channel (or bedroom system) duties. I wish I could afford the HE-2 mk2 amps.

Mar 9, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #10,017 of 11,301
Guys it seems like these GD DACs aren't being run at their best with AES or Spdif inputs is that a fair comment?

The issue is that the two "arguably" absolute best transports on the market are the Grimm MU1 and Aqua LinQ (which I have). Neither offer I2S or USB output only Coaxial or AES....

PS the LinQ does have RJ45 I2S but it's proprietary to their ridiculously overpriced Formula xhd.

I run a Bluesound into my big rig over coax. After upgrading the DI-20 to 4.0.76 coax sounds as good as USB. I don't like S/PDIF but for Bluesound there is no option.

If you have a great transport then the option of AES, it opens up a lot of possibilities. You won't be disappointed running AES/EBU into Audio-gd gear.

Mar 9, 2023 at 8:23 PM Post #10,018 of 11,301

It does matter so much. Aes was not far from i2s last time i compared. It is much about keeping noise low. So a quality cable will help. Same with a quality transport. Harmonic tech does a quite expensive aes/ebu cable i am sure would perform very well. I have the much cheaper dhlabs d-110. It perform very well.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2023 at 2:26 AM Post #10,019 of 11,301
Damn, I've just realised that the DI-20 has a Spdif IN, so I can run my Aqua LinQ into it via my Oyaide FTVS-510 and output it via I2S!

Does that sound like the best approach or given the quality of my streamer is AES direct into the DAC best and the DI-20 being unnecessary, in my specific set of circumstances?

Mar 10, 2023 at 6:38 AM Post #10,020 of 11,301
Damn, I've just realised that the DI-20 has a Spdif IN, so I can run my Aqua LinQ into it via my Oyaide FTVS-510 and output it via I2S!

Does that sound like the best approach or given the quality of my streamer is AES direct into the DAC best and the DI-20 being unnecessary, in my specific set of circumstances?

AES is always preferable to S/PDIF. I think it's worth trying that and after some months you could consider adding a DI-20/HE if you want to try IIS into the DAC.

DI-20HE is helpful if you want to run multiple inputs (coaxial S/PDIF, USB) or have noisy USB, but I think @FredA pointed out the USB on the new DACs is already isolated.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back