New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 22, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #7,188 of 11,301
I have another question: You are using one twisted pair for the hot / cold point per channel.
What about using two twisted pair ? One pair for the hot point, the other pair for the cold point ?
(same color of course)
One lenght for the left channel cable, the other one for the right channel cable. Two cables with a single twisted pair each of the same colour (and twist).

May 23, 2021 at 2:11 PM Post #7,189 of 11,301
I bought the Morion OCXO suggested by Fred. Thank you Fred.

It seems a very good deal as it has about the same specs as the QUEEN clock of Afterdark at 1/5 of the price, if you already have a 12V LPS as I do. It has three square waves outputs, I believe square are suggested by Kingwa, and it can be customize with different impedance on the outputs.

EVA version of Afterdark is way out of my budget.

We'll see how this Morion clock betters the Oscilloquartz 8663 with the same LPS. I should get it in a couple of months. I can't wait!

Last edited:
May 23, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #7,190 of 11,301

It seems a very good deal as it has about the same specs as the QUEEN clock of Afterdark at 1/5 of the price, if you already have a 12V LPS as I do. It has three square waves outputs, I believe square are suggested by Kingwa, and it can be customize with different impedance on the outputs.

We'll see how this Morion clock betters the Oscilloquartz 8663 with the same LPS. I should get it in a couple of months. I'm can't wait!

Congrats, you should have a nice upgrade, Pedro!

May 24, 2021 at 6:19 AM Post #7,191 of 11,301

We'll see how this Morion clock betters the Oscilloquartz 8663 with the same LPS. I should get it in a couple of months. I'm can't wait!
Following the specs, there is no doubt it should be a major improvement…. Especially no risks as Fred tested it already… So patience is now your last mile 😅

May 24, 2021 at 10:13 AM Post #7,192 of 11,301
:beyersmile: yes, patience is rare among us, audiophiles!

If you live in a first world country, you just can't imagine how I have to practice patience in my third world country!! Customs and payments abroad are a pain in the ...

And also yes, it should be a nice upgrade as my Oscilloquartz, wich has worse phase noise and it's only connected to my DI-20, not to my Etherregen, has improved the sound of my system noticeably. The realism is amazing, as Fred said and I agree very much, even in flac streamed files like Tidal HiFi.

As I said before, I believe that getting a proper conditioned digital signal is MUCH MORE important than only searching for Hi-Res files.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #7,193 of 11,301
Anyone heard about R7HE mk2 model? I wonder about sonic changes from R7HE 2021 version. I bought this 2 months ago and now mk2 is out SMH.

May 26, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #7,194 of 11,301
Yes I know... Got my R7-HE21 and 2 weeks later, Mk2 was annonced :frowning2:
Kingwa told me : similar performance, similar specs.
The differences are:
- One ClassA removed to power the digital board. Now it's a regulator ==> Heats a bit less
- RCA output soldered on PCB
- Phono simulation instead of TDA Simulation. If people like Phono simulation, Kingwa will update R-7HE21 firmware.

From a sonic difference, Kingwa told me: similar performance.
Don't worry.

See the MK2 as a "cost reduction on parts and easier to build" with similar performance.
Enjoy your R-7HE21.

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #7,195 of 11,301
Yes I know... Got my R7-HE21 and 2 weeks later, Mk2 was annonced :frowning2:
Kingwa told me : similar performance, similar specs.
The differences are:
- One ClassA removed to power the digital board. Now it's a regulator ==> Heats a bit less
- RCA output soldered on PCB
- Phono simulation instead of TDA Simulation. If people like Phono simulation, Kingwa will update R-7HE21 firmware.

From a sonic difference, Kingwa told me: similar performance.
Don't worry.

See the MK2 as a "cost reduction on parts and easier to build" with similar performance.
Enjoy your R-7HE21.
What if that's what he wants us to think about buying 2021 is actually better than mk2 so don't worry? Why would he do that? mk2 is $200 with newer design with new FPGA and new simulation. Actually, he shouldn't make mk2 right after 2021 version.

If you are a new buyer, would you rather buy 2021 that is $200 cheaper and was released before mk2? No right? Think Xavier, think. They launched R7HE2021 and 3 months later it's already not latest product. This is very discouraging news for me to consider buying products from Kingwa again.

May 26, 2021 at 7:55 AM Post #7,196 of 11,301
I understand what you say and I mostly agree with it: The delay between HE21 and HEMk2 is way too short.
However I'm saying: Don't be disappointed because you have similar sonic performance.

See the other side: Component price did raise a lot. Kingwa managed to get similar performance with Mk2 by keeping the price similar (at $200 more, right).
Kingwa is selling already built R-7HE21 at fair cost (he could have increase the selling price rather than announcing Mk2...).
The Mk2 was designed to be cheaper and easier to produce and keeping it's good performance. It's a technical progress but for the end-user it doesn't matter that much.
It's selling at $200 more than R7-HE21 because component price have raised so much. Covid times impact a lot hardware manufactuers.

If I was a new buyer, I'll be very annoyed to choose, I fully agree with you.
Like you, I had the HE21 just 15 days before Mk2 was announced.
I could be angry against Kingwa but I'm not. I hear great music and paid a fair price for it.
Anyway, one day my HE21 would have become obsolete anyway... So enjoy what you have !

Last edited:
May 26, 2021 at 8:18 PM Post #7,198 of 11,301
I understand what you say and I mostly agree with it: The delay between HE21 and HEMk2 is way too short.
However I'm saying: Don't be disappointed because you have similar sonic performance.

See the other side: Component price did raise a lot. Kingwa managed to get similar performance with Mk2 by keeping the price similar (at $200 more, right).
Kingwa is selling already built R-7HE21 at fair cost (he could have increase the selling price rather than announcing Mk2...).
The Mk2 was designed to be cheaper and easier to produce and keeping it's good performance. It's a technical progress but for the end-user it doesn't matter that much.
It's selling at $200 more than R7-HE21 because component price have raised so much. Covid times impact a lot hardware manufactuers.

If I was a new buyer, I'll be very annoyed to choose, I fully agree with you.
Like you, I had the HE21 just 15 days before Mk2 was announced.
I could be angry against Kingwa but I'm not. I hear great music and paid a fair price for it.
Anyway, one day my HE21 would have become obsolete anyway... So enjoy what you have !
I am sure a good external clock brings much more of a difference.than going from the 21 to the mkii.

May 27, 2021 at 10:01 AM Post #7,200 of 11,301
I believe someone here told that Kingwa recomended square outputs.

I've just bought a Morion with three square outputs at a very reasonable price for the specs: about U$S 260 including shipping. You only need a 12V LPS to power it. It should arrive in about two months. I will post my impressions then.

Other clocks with similar specs cost about 4 to 5 times more. You can get a better master clock for sure, but in the 3k price range. Out of my budget for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back