New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #6,331 of 11,324
JAMO's report from about a week ago:

The sound with the new Amanero implementation is crisp clear, almost "naked and freezing".
..With the DI20HE (3.933) the sound gets more flesh, a little higher temperature and more life...

This to me sounds noticeably different and to my tastes heavily favoring the DI......... (perhaps cognitive dissonance. as I already own a DIHE and an expensive HDMI cable)

I will wait to hear other comparisons....

By the way;- firmware options for the DI allow more customization which direct USB does not allow. This is not an issue of better or worse but rather functional flexibility. For this alone- the DI may be worth it.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 10:27 AM Post #6,332 of 11,324
Another "functionality" and "sonic" advantage is the DI can use my external clock while my mac mini cannot.

My R-7HE with external clocking is certainly not as good as when I use the external on the DI as well (at least with 3.933).

With direct usb- there is no external clock option on my source.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 11:56 AM Post #6,333 of 11,324
It's scary to read this: The sound with the new Amanero implementation is crisp and crisp, almost "bare and icy". I hope that the 2021 upgrade will not make the sound so cold. With the 2019 version, I find the sound on the contrary very soft, analog and warm

I think with 2021 usb upgrade you can use a external clock

Merry Christmas

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2020 at 10:06 AM Post #6,337 of 11,324
No, You have got me wrong. Excuse me if I was unclear. It is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2021. The stunning difference here when using the Amanero now with the 2021, in my very neutral and uncoloring rig, fed with a Mutec SE masterclock gives a crisp clear, accurate sound. In my rig the new Amanero integration give that result. It is nothing wrong with it, I just like the DI20 (3.933) adding some flesh and a small notch of warmth to the picture. We all have differencies in our rigs. Mine is very neutral, some should maybe say "boring". I have strived a long time for this. I like to know what every step of the chain does on an individual basis. Another way, the more commonly spread method is to compensate in the next step until You are pleased with the balance and the performance. I haven't played around with settings much. I like OS8 it is just brilliant here../J

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #6,338 of 11,324
No, You have got me wrong. Excuse me if I was unclear. It is absolutely nothing wrong with the 2021. The stunning difference here when using the Amanero now with the 2021, in my very neutral and uncoloring rig, fed with a Mutec SE masterclock gives a crisp clear, accurate sound. In my rig the new Amanero integration give that result. It is nothing wrong with it, I just like the DI20 (3.933) adding some flesh and a small notch of warmth to the picture. We all have differencies in our rigs. Mine is very neutral, some should maybe say "boring". I have strived a long time for this. I like to know what every step of the chain does on an individual basis. Another way, the more commonly spread method is to compensate in the next step until You are pleased with the balance and the performance. I haven't played around with settings much. I like OS8 it is just brilliant here../J

I strive for natural sound since the so called neutral sound doesn’t sound real and life like to me. The DI20 with 3.933 has the natural and life like sound I favour, and I have built my entire system to sound as real and lifelike I can.

Dec 26, 2020 at 5:35 AM Post #6,339 of 11,324
I strive for natural sound since the so called neutral sound doesn’t sound real and life like to me. The DI20 with 3.933 has the natural and life like sound I favour, and I have built my entire system to sound as real and lifelike I can.

I buy that every day of the week. I think we have the same goals here. And yes, I have the musicians in my home, very lifelike with the DI20HE (3.933). Not so lifelike in my rig with the new Amanero integration. For warmer setups, it may be just perfect.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:29 AM Post #6,340 of 11,324

I strive for neutral sound because neutral is lifelike and realistic sounding to my ears, if it isn't neutral then it is adding colour and inaccurate. It's why I prefer the R7HE over the Terminator, the former is more neutral, lifelike and the latter is more natural, pleasing.

Dec 26, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #6,341 of 11,324
I aim for a lifelike setup. Which for me means also musical and analytical at the same time. And natural. And meaty. With good rythm. You rarely have all these at the same time. The most important for me is neutrality because it makes the setup work well with any kind of recording.

What i find is the biggest asset in Kingwa's gear is they seem to be able extact the maximum from both vintage and recent recordings. It was pointed in a recent review of the he-1 that it is able to improve some recordings while maintaining great neutrality with perfectly recorded tracks. This is a very special attribute and i really appreciate this.

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:35 AM Post #6,344 of 11,324
I aim for a lifelike setup. Which for me means also musical and analytical at the same time. And natural. And meaty. With good rythm. You rarely have all these at the same time. The most important for me is neutrality because it makes the setup work well with any kind of recording.

What i find is the biggest asset in Kingwa's gear is they seem to be able extact the maximum from both vintage and recent recordings. It was pointed in a recent review of the he-1 that it is able to improve some recordings while maintaining great neutrality with perfectly recorded tracks. This is a very special attribute and i really appreciate this.

I don’t like analytical sound. To me it implies showing details at the expanse of coherence.

The problem with audio definitions is that so many people have their own idea of what many audio definition is supposed to really mean. Neutral can for example not IMO be a subjective description of sound. Its means true to the source and/or without any coloration, which has to be measured.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/sounds-audio-glossary-glossary-n-q

https://www.moon-audio.com/audiophile-terms-guide

https://www.audiophileon.com/news/how-to-describe-sound-an-audiophile-terminology-guide

Dec 26, 2020 at 11:49 AM Post #6,345 of 11,324
I strive for neutral sound because neutral is lifelike and realistic sounding to my ears, if it isn't neutral then it is adding colour and inaccurate. It's why I prefer the R7HE over the Terminator, the former is more neutral, lifelike and the latter is more natural, pleasing.

Some people like you believe that neutral means lifelike and other like me that natural means lifelike. If we would go by the glossaries I link to above then I believe natural actually means lifelike.

To me: natural means how it sound live and unrecorded and neutral means true to the recorded source.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back