New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 29, 2019 at 7:34 AM Post #5,611 of 11,260
Recently got my OCC silver Litz ACSS cable.

I immediately thought the silver Litz was better, but after the "new toy" syndrome wore off, I'm not quite sure what I prefer.

The silver Litz has better clarity, resolution, control, expressiveness, soundstage, imaging - it is technically better. While the stock copper cable has more body, energy, dynamics and bass heft. I feel the silver Litz is very "hifi" sounding while the stock cable is more emotionally engaging although a bit coloured.

I think this is a very healthy perspective on this. To let the gut och mind to decide what to prefer.
/J

Nov 29, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #5,612 of 11,260
Recently got my OCC silver Litz ACSS cable.

I immediately thought the silver Litz was better, but after the "new toy" syndrome wore off, I'm not quite sure what I prefer.

The silver Litz has better clarity, resolution, control, expressiveness, soundstage, imaging - it is technically better. While the stock copper cable has more body, energy, dynamics and bass heft. I feel the silver Litz is very "hifi" sounding while the stock cable is more emotionally engaging although a bit coloured.
Did you do so burn in? Silver takes time. Depending on the wire. The valab silver litz is very good right away as ACSS. But anyway, ask the vendor about break-in, bass and mids can be lacking when new.

Nov 29, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #5,614 of 11,260
Did you do so burn in? Silver takes time. Depending on the wire. The valab silver litz is very good right away as ACSS. But anyway, ask the vendor about break-in, bass and mids can be lacking when new.

Only about 40 hours so far. I'm sceptical about cable burn-in, as I'm sceptical of anything I don't understand and can't find any scientific literature on.

I ended up buying from Invictus Cable: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACSS-in...i-xlr-3-pin-female-Silver-up-occ/153458075629
Mainly because I couldn't find the right AWG for my Litz ACSS, you need 26 awg or thinner per conductor to avoid skin effect completely. Invictus uses 6 insulated strands of 28 AWG per core, which is close enough. The only thing I would change is rhodium plated plugs to silver plated.

Using 40 insulated strands of 26 awg is too much pain for speaker cables, so I ordered some 8 core 18 awg which should be good up to 4Khz, probably good enough up to 20khz.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #5,615 of 11,260
Only about 40 hours so far. I'm sceptical about cable burn-in, as I'm sceptical of anything I don't understand and can't find any scientific literature on.

I ended up buying from Invictus Cable: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ACSS-in...i-xlr-3-pin-female-Silver-up-occ/153458075629
Mainly because I couldn't find the right AWG for my Litz ACSS, you need 26 awg or thinner per conductor to avoid skin effect completely. Invictus uses 6 insulated strands of 28 AWG per core, which is close enough. The only thing I would change is rhodium plated plugs to silver plated.

Using 40 insulated strands of 26 awg is too much pain for speaker cables, so I ordered some 8 core 18 awg which should be good up to 4Khz, probably good enough up to 20khz.
Let it burn. The average minimum time to wake up bass is 80 hours. Trust me. I burned in 20 different wires in the last 3-4 years. With the valab silver litz used as accs, bass is good right from the start but the mids are recessed a bit for a while.

Nov 30, 2019 at 7:14 AM Post #5,619 of 11,260
That's correct.

You're the 3rd person in the past week that has said something similar to me, do I give off the vibe that I think it's other way around?
It's because of this passage:

mainly because I couldn't find the right AWG for my Litz ACSS, you need 26 awg or thinner per conductor to avoid skin effect completely. Invictus uses 6 insulated strands of 28 AWG per core, which is close enough. The only thing I would change is rhodium plated plugs to silver plated

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #5,620 of 11,260
It's because of this passage:

mainly because I couldn't find the right AWG for my Litz ACSS, you need 26 awg or thinner per conductor to avoid skin effect completely. Invictus uses 6 insulated strands of 28 AWG per core, which is close enough. The only thing I would change is rhodium plated plugs to silver plated

Ok, I suppose that could be misconstrued. I only meant that 26 awg is optimal for avoiding skin effect, thinner wires like 28 awg will be pointless given we can't hear above 20khz and many speakers have a roll-off around 20khz.

Dec 1, 2019 at 3:21 PM Post #5,622 of 11,260
How are the m2h coming along, they must take the longest?

I haven't listened to them since two weeks ago, just hanging out for the Dukes now.

I've been burning in everything 24/7 so the amps will have about 400 hours to go before it reaches 1000h inc factory burn in. Once the speakers are here I will be spending the last 200 hours while burning in the speakers.

The silver ACSS is coming along well, it's exactly as you said. It's gained plenty of bass and midrange body in the last 40 hours, not as much as the copper cable but close enough I'm starting to prefer the silver one. I've talked to the vendor, he suggested 100 hours minimum.

Dec 1, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #5,623 of 11,260
I haven't listened to them since two weeks ago, just hanging out for the Dukes now.

I've been burning in everything 24/7 so the amps will have about 400 hours to go before it reaches 1000h inc factory burn in. Once the speakers are here I will be spending the last 200 hours while burning in the speakers.

The silver ACSS is coming along well, it's exactly as you said. It's gained plenty of bass and midrange body in the last 40 hours, not as much as the copper cable but close enough I'm starting to prefer the silver one. I've talked to the vendor, he suggested 100 hours minimum.
Yep. Could take up to 350.. As for the m2h, based on my experience with the m3, it could take more than 4 month.

The m9 really took a while too, especially to drive headphones, but now i find it crazy good. This big guy can do it all. Kudos to Kingwa!

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #5,624 of 11,260
Yep. Could take up to 350.. As for the m2h, based on my experience with the m3, it could take more than 4 month.

The m9 really took a while too, especially to drive headphones, but now i find it crazy good. This big guy can do it all. Kudos to Kingwa!

You mean your HE9? The headphone amp is the best I've ever heard and I compared it to a lot of headphone amps out there. I heard it's even better for planar magnetic headphones.

I've been thinking about getting a HE1 some time, been craving a more neutral sound rather than slightly warmer of neutral sound of the HE9. It would mean every time I need to switch between the HE1 and HE9 I'll also have to plug and unplug the ACSS cable. I spoke to Kingwa about whether we could get an ACSS passthrough on the HE1 but it's not possible without degrading the sound quality!

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:51 PM Post #5,625 of 11,260
You mean your HE9? The headphone amp is the best I've ever heard and I compared it to a lot of headphone amps out there. I heard it's even better for planar magnetic headphones.

I've been thinking about getting a HE1 some time, been craving a more neutral sound rather than slightly warmer of neutral sound of the HE9. It would mean every time I need to switch between the HE1 and HE9 I'll also have to plug and unplug the ACSS cable. I spoke to Kingwa about whether we could get an ACSS passthrough on the HE1 but it's not possible without degrading the sound quality!
Yep i meant the he-9. It is indeed splendid with my he-560. And as a pre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back