New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Oct 20, 2019 at 9:35 AM Post #5,266 of 11,260
Seems to be only one version going forward. Kingwa threw out a smooth version early to see if users liked it better (tone wise) than the regular version. Write Kingwa an Email if you like Smooth.

Ah, okay. Interesting.

I quite enjoy/prefer V3A, and haven't bothered with the 'Asy' one yet. Was just hoping there wouldn't only be a smooth version from now on.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:10 AM Post #5,267 of 11,260
Thanks!

Here's the newest R7 firmware file (R7tda_Asy_P_rmdsd_dop.jic). Compare sound quality as I find I like DSDCLK better with PCM I2s or USB OS8. YMMV, of course, as the differences are small. What do you think?

All files in this folder are intended for the older DACs (no 10M ext. clocking, Optical IN4)).
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!415&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1
Warming up my gears now. So far so good. The sound is very similar to dsdclk. Perhaps with even better depth. Too soon to the call.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:23 AM Post #5,269 of 11,260
If my hearing is good this morning, which i think it is, this new fw with spdif dop support has even a tad more clarity and depth than dsdclk. It is like an improved tda_asy3, meaning it a bit more bright than dsdclk. The treble quality is in any case pretty much flawless. It is true from the whole spectrum, all very nice. I will listen through the blon B8 to confirm.

Maybe just a tad too bright through the b8s if i want to be critical. But such great definition and lots of air. Too soon again to make a definitive call.

Oct 20, 2019 at 10:43 AM Post #5,270 of 11,260
I'll give DoP firmware another try for longer period of time. I am finding that I have to give auditions more time than the pace Kingwa cranks out new versions! A few minutes is not enough time to fully evaluate.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #5,271 of 11,260
It seems like King
I'll give DoP firmware another try for longer period of time. I am finding that I have to give auditions more time than the pace Kingwa cranks out new versions! A few minutes is not enough time to fully evaluate.
No. Just moving the interconnects like i did will have an impact on sound for some time.

I feel like there is a quite more energy in the upper mids and bass, as i suggested. This make the sound clearer and more dynamic. It is nice but probably a bit too much in the uppper mids, as i feel the sound is a bit fatiguing. I would say it is the most dynamic sound i have heard with my full audio-gd setup, but it is a bit too much again. As for bass, it seems rather well tuned.

The ideal sound would be somewhere in between with dsdclk. Mid range is a bit recessed. The sound is too fatiguing and not organic enough.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #5,273 of 11,260
@FredA I switched back the the SU-6. There is less variation between sources with these parallel firmware files so the need for the U16's slightly better performance is really not noticed.

Now that I have the Aurender/SU-6/R7 playing great together there is some much less transient noises switching PCM sampling rates and to/from DSD using the parallel firmware. No more diving for the volume control when songs finish! Kingwa's hard work has paid off here. I can mix format playlists without any concern for blowing tweeters. Yeah!

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 11:56 AM Post #5,274 of 11,260
@FredA I switched back the the SU-6. There is less variation between sources with these parallel firmware files so the need for the U16's slightly better performance is really not noticed.

Now that I have the Aurender/SU-6/R7 playing great together there is some much less transient noises switching PCM sampling rates and to/from DSD using the parallel firmware. No more diving for the volume control when songs finish! Kingwa's hard work has payed off here. I can mix format playlists without any concern for blowing tweeters. Yeah!
I gave up testing dsd with the u16 as going from pcm to dsd would result in heave noise. Maybe this has been addressed.

I confirmed what i said earlier: adding upper mids and bass was a move in the right direction, but both increases are a little too much. I would have gone half way. I now have to lower the volume by 2-3 increments as perceived loudness has augmented compared to dsdclk. Overall i prefer tda_asy3 and dsdclk.

Oct 20, 2019 at 12:31 PM Post #5,275 of 11,260
Hi,
I remember Kingwa adviced not to upgrade M7S to tda firmware as it would probably result in a too warm sound. Hope my memory is right... So i thought V3 would be the last fw for M7S.
Has anybody tried the parallel fw with M7S though?
Best
David

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #5,278 of 11,260
Yah the VH audio are having them on sale. But I am confused as to where to put them. VH audio stated they are mainly for the analogue stage, at least the cheapest small one they are selling. So where exactly should one put them? And one is needed on each analogue channel ?

Since I have two, I put them on the RCA output on my DAC, one per channel. I now use the RCA output (as opposed to XLR) of my DAC since it sounds much better and I'm not running long distances, however it does mean the signal has to go through the phase splitter on the HE9. I haven't tried putting them on XLR, I think you would need 2 per channel for that.

Oct 20, 2019 at 7:24 PM Post #5,279 of 11,260
I like NOS better with the latest fw. Still very dynamic, and soundstaging is superior. A little less bright. Not as fatiguing. Big bass. A little too big maybe.

But still, I think i will revert to dsdclk. I can't believe i find the sound too dynamic now...

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2019 at 8:16 PM Post #5,280 of 11,260
Just re-flashed dsdclk.. It is indeed better suited for my setup. More laid back. Very enjoyable, more refined i find. The soundstage has better depth. Best fw so far for me, but not by a mile.

My ears will thanks me at the end of the night. The latest is just too bight and punchy for me. Dsdclk has a perfect midrange, the latest is recessed in comparison. I now am on OS8. Took a while before i fully appreciated it but dsdclk is great, near perfect for my tastes. Not sure anymore it needs anymore dynamics. Perhaps just a pinch... Anyway, as in the song, i love it just the way it is.

These latest parallel fws are heading in the right direction. You can hear they are more resolving and smoother. Great stuff.

Message to Kingwa: i desperately need the new DI. The u16 has hung on me 10 to 15 times over the last 3 days. It is driving me nuts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back