New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:23 AM Post #4,891 of 11,260
Hi guys,

I follow you with a lot of interest even if I don't participate because english is not my main language:slight_smile:
I just wanted to let you know that I own a Master 9 + R8 combo that I really love but I had an issue with DSD files suppor through Roon on Mac OS X. I talked with Kingwa and he advised me to update the Amanero interface, what I did.
It has worked and now I don't have issues anymore, from Roon as from Audirvana, I can play DSD files with a great quality.

Juste for info if it can helps, the correct firmware to upload is 2006be10 and the CPLD is CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDDSD. This last point is important because if you take the other option (CPLD_1081) then the channels for DSD files will be inverted.
Eveything is here : https://www.amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Enjoy !
Olivier

Aug 16, 2019 at 10:33 AM Post #4,892 of 11,260
Hi guys,

I follow you with a lot of interest even if I don't participate because english is not my main language:slight_smile:
I just wanted to let you know that I own a Master 9 + R8 combo that I really love but I had an issue with DSD files suppor through Roon on Mac OS X. I talked with Kingwa and he advised me to update the Amanero interface, what I did.
It has worked and now I don't have issues anymore, from Roon as from Audirvana, I can play DSD files with a great quality.

Juste for info if it can helps, the correct firmware to upload is 2006be10 and the CPLD is CPLD_1081_SWAPPEDDSD. This last point is important because if you take the other option (CPLD_1081) then the channels for DSD files will be inverted.
Eveything is here : https://www.amanero.com/combo384_firmware.htm

Enjoy !
Olivier
Hi Olivier, i have not updated my Amanero firmware in the past as my R8 is only about 3 months old. Do I need to remove the top and connect a USB Blaster for the update, or just download on my PC?

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #4,893 of 11,260
Hi Olivier, i have not updated my Amanero firmware in the past as my R8 is only about 3 months old. Do I need to remove the top and connect a USB Blaster for the update, or just download on my PC?
Olivier has done it more recently than I, but no. That is not the process for updating the Amanero firmware. See the Amanero site that he linked for clear instructions.

Edited to add - just in case you can't find it - https://www.amanero.com/howto.htm

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:20 PM Post #4,896 of 11,260
No need to use the USB blaster, but you need to open the R8 anyway to short the Amanero card in order to delete the existing firmware. That's easy and fast, but, yes, it requires to open the beast.
Thanks for the quick response. Are there an instructions on how to short the Amanero card? I still have to upgrade the R8 firmware so I will do all at the same time. I'm still waiting on anew USB Blaster for theR8.

Aug 16, 2019 at 5:41 PM Post #4,898 of 11,260
Yesterday received the Aurender N100H USB server/ streamer. Connected the SU-6 USB, power, and Ethernet. Figured out how to move music over to the internal hard disk and off to the races! It doesn't sound that great (some stuttering) when the Aurender CPU is moving data to hard disc during file transfer. But definitely sounds better than PC USB when just playing music. Vocals have less fuzz and bass is more commanding. Lot of meat in the midrange and less of the dreaded digital "glare".

Even DSD sounds good! And virtually noiseless when switching between PCM and DSD. Foobar2000 creates loud pops in comparison.

The Aurender is the perfect package for me. Aurender's "Conductor" app for playing music is gorgeous on the iPad pro. The PC is turned off and the external NAS drives are hibernating! Life is good!

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 6:58 PM Post #4,899 of 11,260
Hi guys.

I received the he9 last night. At first, it was inferior to my m1.

But after just 15 hours of run time, it blows it aways. The synergy between the r7he, the he9 and M3 is awesome as you can expect. I feel like i have moved to another planet, one where you breath the purest air, and drink the purest water.

This setup makes my Osborn Eclipse play like they never have. There is a sense of reality that gives you goosebumps. And another contributing factor is using an external ocxo with a good quality lps on the u16.

Using acss thoughout is certainly helping quite a lot. It sort of like having an all in one using 12 transformers and over 50 class-A regulators. Without a single bit of feedback. No wonder it sounds so freaking good.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #4,903 of 11,260
Hi guys.

I received the he9 last night. At first, it was inferior to my m1.

But after just 15 hours of run time, it blows it aways. The synergy between the r7he, the he9 and M3 is awesome as you can expect. I feel like i have moved to another planet, one where you breath the purest air, and drink the purest water.

This setup makes my Osborn Eclipse play like they never have. There is a sense of reality that gives you goosebumps. And another contributing factor is using an external ocxo with a good quality lps on the u16.

Using acss thoughout is certainly helping quite a lot. It sort of like having an all in one using 12 transformers and over 50 class-A regulators. Without a single bit of feedback. No wonder it sounds so freaking good.

I noticed recently fooling around with various preamps, to me ACSS (vs. XLR) sounds much closer in clearness and tone to a SE passive preamp - but ACSS offers more dynamics and texture over the passives I have tried. Have you ever settled on a preferred cable for ACSS? was it silver litz ? shorter helps? Thanks....

Aug 17, 2019 at 12:00 AM Post #4,904 of 11,260
Yesterday received the Aurender N100H USB server/ streamer. Connected the SU-6 USB, power, and Ethernet. Figured out how to move music over to the internal hard disk and off to the races! It doesn't sound that great (some stuttering) when the Aurender CPU is moving data to hard disc during file transfer. But definitely sounds better than PC USB when just playing music. Vocals have less fuzz and bass is more commanding. Lot of meat in the midrange and less of the dreaded digital "glare".

Even DSD sounds good! And virtually noiseless when switching between PCM and DSD. Foobar2000 creates loud pops in comparison.

The Aurender is the perfect package for me. Aurender's "Conductor" app for playing music is gorgeous on the iPad pro. The PC is turned off and the external NAS drives are hibernating! Life is good!
I checked the web site for Aurender, and its idea is similar to what PC builders for music try to do. It uses a Cache technique where I presume music is temporarily loaded to be played and is away from the HDD. I presume the cache is in the less noisy SSD ? This I suppose would isolate the noise of the HDD by putting music to be played in separate SSD. I am not sure where the Software for playing music is if one were to play the music in the Aurender instead if using NAS, roon etc, but presumably it is also in the SSD ?
My PC does not have HDD and euphony I use (in the SDD) also uses the Ecache to have music loaded into the SSD. I would attach my external HDD. load the music to the Ecache in the SDD and then I would detach the HDD altogether (though I use a USB filter that seems to eliminate most of the noise coming from the HDD anyway, as I don't hear much difference now with HDD attached vs detached).
Is the aurrender using an uttracap LPS ? (I think I saw it somewhere)
I presume it has a nice USB bridge with the OCXO clock with separate LPS ??
The other outputs e.g Coax,toslink also clocked with the OCXO too, correct ?

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #4,905 of 11,260
@DACLadder
I too had the stuttering when I first got my pre-owned Aurender but it stopped a short time after I started using it. I don't recall for sure, but I may have rebooted it a few times. The only stuttering I get now is occasionally when I'm streaming from Tidal, but I'm assuming that is an ISP transfer problem. It's rare, but it does happen once in a while.

What cables are you using on the Aurender (USB, power, ethernet)?

Users who are viewing this thread

• PLGA
Back