New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 31, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #4,262 of 11,260
@Chopin75 I listened to single ended outputs for years with the M7 and S7. Sound quality was excellent. Yes twice the signal (voltage level) on balanced outputs. But your ear works logarithmically so it may take more signal to seem twice as loud.

And that silver cable may take a while to run in a bit. My silver Litz cable took about 3 months but is excellent for detail.

As a side note.... Years ago I looked in the back of my DACs and noticed the signal ended outputs were just the (+) signal from the balanced output. ?? Scratching my head I thought in using single ended I was only utilizing one side of my balanced DAC. As Kingwa explained to me on the M7 the single ended, balanced, and ACSS outputs use the combined positive and negative balanced DAC signals to form signals to drive the cables connected to the DAC outputs. So Kingwa decided to use the full balanced DAC signals (with all the benefits) to create the signals for all outputs.

After using a "true balanced" amps where the two balanced input signals are kept separate until the speaker terminals I like the way Kingwa generates the output signals. Much less complicated and less parts plus has a lot of benefits for simply moving a signal waveform from one unit to another over a cable.

Hey thanks again for your excellent info and opinion, as usual!
Yes, I remember somewhere I read or someone mentioned that the Audio-gd is truly balanced for all outputs including the RCA, which means even for the RCA, one gets most of benefits of truly balanced output (except of course one cannot use XLR cables so benefit or sound signature from that is not going to be there) . I am not sure if this may explain the little change in volume. Now I am not using truly balanced amp, as I have none. But I am using a balanced transformer that supposedly keep the balanced signal going through the RCA output:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZBIT.html

I may eventually get a truly balanced Pre-amp.

The Kingwa new tube pre-amp utilizing ACSS may be good

or this one ?:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZTPRE.html

Even then, I can see the change on deeper and more 3 soundstage and also more micro detail. It works great for my CD source. I have yet to tinker a bit with my PC system as currently it is a bit unforgiving for PC source. I think updating my FW to V3 (finally! ) would help which I would do soon.

May 31, 2019 at 12:25 PM Post #4,263 of 11,260
@FredA With warmer temps I have been power cycling my system overnight. I get good sound at power on and improves a bit after warming up for 1 hour. So after the break in period the R-7HE will most likely sound OK power cycled. Your rack is going to be tight!

My R7 is still improving sound wise. Been 2 months on Accusilicon XOs and 1 month on DA7 V2s. Also the SU-6 is really starting to blossom. Bass (drums, instruments, rhythm) is powerful. Vocals great. Silky highs! Just a little different sounding than the U16. Definitely will go back and forth between the two

Have a great first weekend of summer 2019!

Maybe the v2 are better with warming up. Some added thermo-coupling, maybe?.... These audio-gd gears take months too fully blossom...

Have nice one too.

Jun 1, 2019 at 12:31 AM Post #4,265 of 11,260
More about the balanced vs unbalanced of the R7, is the balanced output usually sounding faster and cleaner ? I am not sure if I am still really heading my balanced cable sound or more of the sound of the balanced output. There is clearly better sound stage and separation of instruments with balanced and also smoother, less grain but also leaner and lacks some warmth. (I suspect the lean/loss of warmth is my new pure silver XLR cable sound) I am also using silver cables for the unbalanced for comparison but a different make altogether.

Jun 1, 2019 at 7:28 AM Post #4,266 of 11,260
More about the balanced vs unbalanced of the R7, is the balanced output usually sounding faster and cleaner ? I am not sure if I am still really heading my balanced cable sound or more of the sound of the balanced output. There is clearly better sound stage and separation of instruments with balanced and also smoother, less grain but also leaner and lacks some warmth. (I suspect the lean/loss of warmth is my new pure silver XLR cable sound) I am also using silver cables for the unbalanced for comparison but a different make altogether.
My ms-audio cable sounded lean at first but now it is my most evenly balanced xlr.

Jun 1, 2019 at 1:26 PM Post #4,267 of 11,260
Many possibilities;

1. Bad fw version for you input config
2. Devices not configured to output 2ch pcm
3. Data rate higher than 96kz
4. Bad toslink cable

2 to 4 not the problem. The cable worked when tested on another device. I guess I'm going to have to work up the courage to flash one of the firmware DACLadder suggested. Thanks for responding so quickly.

Jun 1, 2019 at 2:58 PM Post #4,269 of 11,260
@Tango Sierra Did you recently upgrade the M7 with Singularity digital board? Reason for asking the M7’s Toslink hardware is not compatible with the Singularity board interface. At least that is what I remember from a few years ago. If in doubt Kingwa would know best and if needed a new part would be affordable.

Jun 1, 2019 at 3:47 PM Post #4,271 of 11,260
@Tango Sierra Did you recently upgrade the M7 with Singularity digital board? Reason for asking the M7’s Toslink hardware is not compatible with the Singularity board interface. At least that is what I remember from a few years ago. If in doubt Kingwa would know best and if needed a new part would be affordable.

@DACLadder
I purchased the unit used a year ago. A cut and paste from the previous owner's advertisement says "This dac has been upgraded from a Master 7 to a Singularity 7. A master technician upgraded the dac for me.It includes the latest usb board and software along with the usb blaster for future software updates."

If the upgraded board is not compatible with Toslink, I wonder why the board would have the Toslink connection on the board. I will upgrade the firmware and see what happens. Thanks for your response.

Jun 1, 2019 at 5:34 PM Post #4,272 of 11,260
@FredA I’m still using the same MS Audio silver Litz XLRs. Awesome cables! But they sounded strange when brand new and were very slow to run in.
Yeah in fact they sound so great i am tempted to re-terminate them as acss i.e. 4-pin xlrs. Perhaps the best interconnect i ever owned. And yes It needs 350 hours or more to fully blossom. I love this cable.

Jun 1, 2019 at 6:03 PM Post #4,273 of 11,260
Balanced is second best to acss. Using cable of equal quality, acss clearly wins. It is even truer between my m1 and m3. Acss is easily on top.

Jun 1, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #4,274 of 11,260
By the way, with the silver acss cable i just assembled, i have an excellent match with my setup. I was missing some speed, not anymore.

The m3 is playing like it never played before. On all criteria, it is as good or better than any amp I have tried before. Just splendid. As always, cable matching is mandatory. As for my non upgraded r7, it perforns like a champ, waiting for a lucky new owner to adopt it. I can believe i am letting it go. I can't figure what the HE will bring to the party i don't already have. But my little finger tells me i won't regret it.

The recipe is easy, match the r7 with the u16 and use only silver litz cables. And get a m1 pre and m3 power amp of course. Go acss all the way. Let it age and enjoy.

Jun 2, 2019 at 11:00 AM Post #4,275 of 11,260
Coming up on 1 yr. anniversary with the R2R 7 (now R7). One heck of a year in audio! Several firmware releases, new DAC hardware, cables, DDCs... Better sound every few months. Hard to sort it all out but it has been a pleasure.

The DA7 V2s are playing great. The R7 is disappearing (again) after Accusilicon XO change. Sounds good with any I2S source. Using the internal Singxer F1 currently and sounds great. Singxer SU-6 and Gustard U16 may be more enjoyable but the R7 sounds great with anything. Been a very productive year in audio!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back