New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 30, 2019 at 11:55 PM Post #4,246 of 11,260
Has anyone compared the XLR balanced output vs the RCA unbalanced ? Is the volume of the balanced supposed to be much louder ? Supposedly 5 V for balanced and 2.5 V for unbalanced. From using the balanced XLR I cannot here a lot in volume increase (maybe 20%?). The sound stage and detail/separation is amazing and very revealing with balanced. Faster sounding, lost some warmth but this could be due to my pure silver DIY cables vs a professional silver OCC cable. It feels rather uncompromisingly revealing that some recordings become a bit too "clinical" so I need to switch back to CD source now and maybe some burning in of the XLR, the PC sound would get better.

May 31, 2019 at 3:37 AM Post #4,247 of 11,260
I recently purchased an Aurender server to use with my Audio-gd gear and I am working on a report of that marriage but in the meantime, I've run into an issue with my M7S.

The Aurender N100H only has a USB output so that is currently using the M7S USB Input 6 and in order to listen to sound from my computer, I installed a Toslink cable from the computer to the M7S. I made the required Win 10 sound settings change for Digital Audio (S/PDIF) output and selected Input 4 on the M7S and got no sound coming from my Master 9. I tried all the other M7S inputs with the selector button and reviewed all the Win 10 settings but still heard nothing. My final troubleshooting step was to connect the computer to a soundbar with the Toslink cable and that gave me sound leaving the problem square on the M7S' shoulders.

I popped the hood on the M7S and confirmed the Toslink input was connected to the M7S board. What could I be doing wrong or is there a problem with my M7S?

Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #4,249 of 11,260
I recently purchased an Aurender server to use with my Audio-gd gear and I am working on a report of that marriage but in the meantime, I've run into an issue with my M7S.

The Aurender N100H only has a USB output so that is currently using the M7S USB Input 6 and in order to listen to sound from my computer, I installed a Toslink cable from the computer to the M7S. I made the required Win 10 sound settings change for Digital Audio (S/PDIF) output and selected Input 4 on the M7S and got no sound coming from my Master 9. I tried all the other M7S inputs with the selector button and reviewed all the Win 10 settings but still heard nothing. My final troubleshooting step was to connect the computer to a soundbar with the Toslink cable and that gave me sound leaving the problem square on the M7S' shoulders.

I popped the hood on the M7S and confirmed the Toslink input was connected to the M7S board. What could I be doing wrong or is there a problem with my M7S?
Many possibilities;

1. Bad fw version for you input config
2. Devices not configured to output 2ch pcm
3. Data rate higher than 96kz
4. Bad toslink cable

May 31, 2019 at 9:43 AM Post #4,251 of 11,260
@Chopin75 I listened to single ended outputs for years with the M7 and S7. Sound quality was excellent. Yes twice the signal (voltage level) on balanced outputs. But your ear works logarithmically so it may take more signal to seem twice as loud.

And that silver cable may take a while to run in a bit. My silver Litz cable took about 3 months but is excellent for detail.

As a side note.... Years ago I looked in the back of my DACs and noticed the signal ended outputs were just the (+) signal from the balanced output. ?? Scratching my head I thought in using single ended I was only utilizing one side of my balanced DAC. As Kingwa explained to me on the M7 the single ended, balanced, and ACSS outputs use the combined positive and negative balanced DAC signals to form signals to drive the cables connected to the DAC outputs. So Kingwa decided to use the full balanced DAC signals (with all the benefits) to create the signals for all outputs.

After using a "true balanced" amps where the two balanced input signals are kept separate until the speaker terminals I like the way Kingwa generates the output signals. Much less complicated and less parts plus has a lot of benefits for simply moving a signal waveform from one unit to another over a cable.

May 31, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #4,252 of 11,260
Last edited:
May 31, 2019 at 10:02 AM Post #4,253 of 11,260
I wonder, couldn't these dac's be upgraded with OCXO's on the converter side ?

Do you have a link for possible candidates?

There are a few reasons why this would be complicated. The OCXO heater circuit requires a lot of power and maybe at a different voltage. No pin compatible package available. Are the OCXOs available in the correct frequencies and with LVCMOS type outputs? You would need two oscillators and the inside of your DAC would definitely get much warmer.

May 31, 2019 at 10:48 AM Post #4,254 of 11,260
Hello Guys,
I've just installed yesterday the Accusilicons and the V2 boards on my R8 DAC.

Three considerations:

1. They are not burned in yet, only a few hours running.

2. I've made many upgrades and changes in the last months, so sometimes it gets hard to notice the improvements of each upgraded component.

3. I didn't have the chance to make an A-B comparison, I'm only judging by memory fo course.

Nevertheless, I can asure that the upgrade is VERY good. My system never sounded as good as it did last night. Mids and highs are maybe better defined, but also smoother (less grain). Soundstage increased a bit and also instrument separation. I'm very very satisfied with the results. I will post more thoughts in the next few days, as the burn in process continues.

I would say, for the R8/R7 owners and possible buyers: do not to hesitate to get the Accusilicons and the V2 boards!!

Combined with my Gustard U16 and my W4S USB Reclocker, the result is outstanding, incredible, brillant!!

May 31, 2019 at 11:06 AM Post #4,255 of 11,260
@PLGA Congrats! What firmware are you using? Give it a month or more to fully run in. You will notice changes in sound and may digress for a week or so.

And to remind new lookers the DA7 V2 DAC modules have been shipping since Dec. 2018. But definitely order Accusilicon clocks. Best upgrade ever for the R7.

May 31, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #4,256 of 11,260
Almost a month in, the Acusilicons on my Master-11 Singularity + R7 TDA async firmware + Singxer SU-6 have never sounded better. Superb enjoyment every day :)

May 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #4,257 of 11,260
@PLGA Congrats! What firmware are you using? Give it a month or more to fully run in. You will notice changes in sound and may digress for a week or so.

And to remind new lookers the DA7 V2 DAC modules have been shipping since Dec. 2018. But definitely order Accusilicon clocks. Best upgrade ever for the R7.

Hello Scott,
Yes, Im aware that the V2 boards are included in new R8/R7 DACs from AGD.

Im using V3A firmware and I plan to keep it at least for a some several months, as it sounds superb and I think changing firmware wont be easy for me (I change the clocks and the boards with a tech guy here, I didnt do it my self).

Thank you for all the support to the AGD community!!

May 31, 2019 at 11:21 AM Post #4,258 of 11,260
@FredA With warmer temps I have been power cycling my system overnight. I get good sound at power on and improves a bit after warming up for 1 hour. So after the break in period the R-7HE will most likely sound OK power cycled. Your rack is going to be tight!

My R7 is still improving sound wise. Been 2 months on Accusilicon XOs and 1 month on DA7 V2s. Also the SU-6 is really starting to blossom. Bass (drums, instruments, rhythm) is powerful. Vocals great. Silky highs! Just a little different sounding than the U16. Definitely will go back and forth between the two

Have a great first weekend of summer 2019!

May 31, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #4,259 of 11,260
Hello Scott,
Yes, Im aware that the V2 boards are included in new R8/R7 DACs from AGD.

Im using V3A firmware and I plan to keep it at least for a some several months, as it sounds superb and I think changing firmware wont be easy for me (I change the clocks and the boards with a tech guy here, I didnt do it my self).

Thank you for all the support to the AGD community!!

My comments are directed at new lookers to the forum that may wonder about all the talk concerning DA7 V2 DAC modules and why we like them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back