New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Apr 25, 2019 at 5:53 AM Post #3,991 of 11,320
Not sure to get a used singularity Master 11 or one of these new r2r 7/8/28. Preferably want something warm

Apr 25, 2019 at 6:40 AM Post #3,992 of 11,320
Not sure to get a used singularity Master 11 or one of these new r2r 7/8/28. Preferably want something warm
The pcm1704 dac like the m11 are warmer indeed. The r7 has also some warmth to it however. On the other hand, getting a dac with the Accusilicons will most likely make a significant difference. The r8 is the best bang for the buck.

Apr 25, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #3,994 of 11,320
As much as I like the PCM1704 M7S the R7 is more versatile. The R7s highs are better and has more detail. The R7 is plenty warm in OS but you can warm up further by changing to NOS mode. The R8 and R7 share DA7 DAC modules so would think they have similar sound.

But nothing wrong with the M7S. I could go to hifi heaven with this DAC.

Apr 25, 2019 at 9:22 AM Post #3,995 of 11,320
Nearing 4 weeks with Accusilicons in the R7 (week 5 for M7S). Give them a month with 24/7 power to fully run-in. The oscillators have transformed my audio system and without a doubt the best enhancement ever for my AGD DACs. Here's some observations over the month trial....

- Less grain... on both the M7S and R7 notice much less grain and is evident from day 1. Prior to Accusilicon installation the R7 was a little 'shouty' in the upper midrange and lower treble. Vocals had an edge. Brass instruments a glaring bite. After Accusilicon installation grain has all but disappeared and sound much more transparent. Less grain means I enjoy music at a louder volume level than previously possible. This is what I like best about the XO swap.

- The R7 is less tweaky.... Prior to Accusilicons the R7 was extremely sensitive to cables/ power, DSP settings, etc. Everything greatly affected playback satisfaction and it was a struggle to balance the sound. Now just put on a tune and marvel at the sound quality. No longer have any desire to make changes or constantly mess with my system.

- Better highs and more detail.... Both M7S and R7. Bass is also great on both DACs.

- The R7 is balanced and dynamic. The R7 is a tone monster from highs to lows. M7S as well.

- Everything sounds better from YouTube videos to games to direct music playback. I have not noticed anything that sounded "better" prior to Accusilicon swap.

I can't stress how much I like the Accusilicon XOs. It's a total package though. Gustard U16 HDMI I2S, TDA Asy firmware (M7S V3A firmware) help on sound quality and experience as well. But the Singxer F1 sounds better also. The Accusilicons are no hype and the real deal!

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #3,996 of 11,320
Thanks for the picture :)

dTOwNQN

(Idk why I can’t post pics. Here’s the link: https://imgur.com/gallery/dTOwNQN )

Much easier install, as compared to looking at the board of the R7.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2019 at 12:18 PM Post #3,998 of 11,320
PLGA,

It will take at least 3 weeks before I have them.

Apr 26, 2019 at 6:47 PM Post #3,999 of 11,320
.DA7 V2 DAC modules arrived and installed in the R7. Took about 1.5 hrs. Basically desolder 20 wires and resolder to the new modules. And the work is easier versus installing oscillators but still requires good basic soldering skills.

After 1 hr warm up PCM sounds good! Appeared laid back when first powered up but beginning to sound more dynamic. And more transparency perhaps.. Need a good system warm up and Kngwa said another 200 hrs run-in on the DA7 modules. Impressive though the more I listen!

Quick DSD testing and works OK with Gustard U16 up to DSD256.

Apr 26, 2019 at 8:38 PM Post #4,000 of 11,320
Does anyone have a copy of the actual 'Clockreplacement' document on hand for upgrading to the Accusilicon clocks? Kingwa sent me a .rar file, which expands/unzips to a .cpgz file, which in turn extracts to a .rar again, and so on forever. Thank-you kindly in advance.

Apr 26, 2019 at 10:36 PM Post #4,001 of 11,320
.DA7 V2 DAC modules arrived and installed in the R7. Took about 1.5 hrs. Basically desolder 20 wires and resolder to the new modules. And the work is easier versus installing oscillators but still requires good basic soldering skills.

After 1 hr warm up PCM sounds good! Appeared laid back when first powered up but beginning to sound more dynamic. And more transparency perhaps.. Need a good system warm up and Kngwa said another 200 hrs run-in on the DA7 modules. Impressive though the more I listen!

Quick DSD testing and works OK with Gustard U16 up to DSD256.
Look forward to your impression of DSD, mainly any noise still with DSD 256 ? (for 12S and also USB input) . Hope the noise is gone without compromising on the DSD sound.

Apr 27, 2019 at 7:45 AM Post #4,003 of 11,320
@Chopin75 I will check out DSD more in a few days. I never had the noise with my V1 boards until Kingwa sent me Xilinx firmware that made the "birdy" noise show up. So know what to listen for with V2. But did not have the issue with V1 and using the SIngxer F1 on IN6. The only fault with V1 was using the Gustard U16 with DSD256 which seems to work without error yesterday after installing V2s.

keep forgetting the new DA7 V2 DAC modules have been shipping for almost 6 months (Dec 2018). So there are many already using these DAC modules.

Apr 27, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #4,004 of 11,320
The DA7 V2 DAC modules make a positive difference in the older R2R 7. In PCM mode the V2's bring less grain in the upper mid-range/ lower trebles while mid-range instruments like cellos, woody electric guitars, and saxophones, etc come right through with full harmonic texture and detail. Highs are silky/ detailed. Bass is firm and solid. Super wide sound stage but with much more depth. Vocals are outstanding with not only the right amount of silibance but correct timing and enunciation. Very dynamic/ balanced and the R7 is no longer 'shouty'. I can listen at high volume levels no problem. And would say, yes, much more transparency and less distortion with the V2 DAC swap. With all the recent changes the precision and detail increases dramatically. An amazing transformation in just about 6 weeks.

The R7 sounds nothing like it did about 10 months ago when received. In the beginning it was a struggle to balance the R7 in my system. Endless cables, power conditioning, DSP firmware/ settings etc. to minimize glare and grain. The R7 is now much more pleasing to the ear and everything just sounds better. All reviews of the R7 need to be redone with these mods.

The Accusilicon XOs have a larger affect on overall sound but the DA7 V2s shine brilliantly and are icing on the cake. And the V2s are relatively easy to install.

TDA Asy OS 8x, Accusilicons, and DA7 V2s are a great combination with a lot of synergy. Highly recommended!

I ordered a Singxer SU-6 yesterday. I am tired of the Gustard U16's operational issues. The Singxer F1 sounds OK but the U16 adds some dynamics and more extended range.. Hopefully the SU-6 will perform better than the F1/SU-1 with my AGD DACs.

Apr 27, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #4,005 of 11,320
The DA7 V2 DAC modules make a positive difference in the older R2R 7. In PCM mode the V2's bring less grain in the upper mid-range/ lower trebles while mid-range instruments like cellos, woody electric guitars, and saxophones, etc come right through with full harmonic texture and detail. Highs are silky/ detailed. Bass is firm and solid. Super wide sound stage but with much more depth. Vocals are outstanding with not only the right amount of silibance but correct timing and enunciation. Very dynamic/ balanced and the R7 is no longer 'shouty'. I can listen at high volume levels no problem. And would say, yes, much more transparency and less distortion with the V2 DAC swap. With all the recent changes the precision and detail increases dramatically. An amazing transformation in just about 6 weeks.

The R7 sounds nothing like it did about 10 months ago when received. In the beginning it was a struggle to balance the R7 in my system. Endless cables, power conditioning, DSP firmware/ settings etc. to minimize glare and grain. The R7 is now much more pleasing to the ear and everything just sounds better. All reviews of the R7 need to be redone with these mods.

The Accusilicon XOs have a larger affect on overall sound but the DA7 V2s shine brilliantly and are icing on the cake. And the V2s are relatively easy to install.

TDA Asy OS 8x, Accusilicons, and DA7 V2s are a great combination with a lot of synergy. Highly recommended!

I ordered a Singxer SU-6 yesterday. I am tired of the Gustard U16's operational issues. The Singxer F1 sounds OK but the U16 adds some dynamics and more extended range.. Hopefully the SU-6 will perform better than the F1/SU-1 with my AGD DACs.

I have alot to look forward to, it seems.. I think I may be more lucky than others here using the U16. No flaws at all. Also the lack of DSD-noise figures when You, Scott mensioned it did appear with the pop-removal fw for the DA7-boards. In my case my ordered programmer never showed up and when I started to use the U16 the pops dissapeared so I never tried to get another one too hard.

Well, I really look forward to receive the V2-boards and the Accu. XO's.. Worth mensioning is that I don't really "need" to push the performance forward. I am already happy and gets emotional because of the beautiful music playing. For me, these upgrades are high value bonus I/we have the privilege to get from Audio-gd/Kingwa based on beeing returning customers . A reflection... - How many companies do offer these kind of upgrades for this small money?

/Jan

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back