New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 12, 2019 at 9:53 PM Post #3,676 of 11,275
Mar 12, 2019 at 10:44 PM Post #3,678 of 11,275
Heads up @Whitigir @DACLadder : Kingwa is now offering Accusilicon oscillators. I understand, could be wrong, that they can be installed in a newly ordered dac or ordered separately.

Holy moly! Thanks Fred. I ordered two of each 90M and 98M.

A huge amount of work necessary to replace the DAC oscillators. The center digital board has to be removed and the oscillators soldered from the back of the board. Big job that requires very good soldering skills and experience.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #3,679 of 11,275
Is this like the Singxer F-1 board, except maybe a different clock?
Yes, but outputs i2s as well as spdif, it would be a direct swap for the amaneroand would need the audio gd built in power supply for after the isolation. I suppose you could use an i2s isolator as well but i dont know how you'd power the fpga and clock section xD And yes I belive the f1 has a crystek 575? this has the accusilicon. The main point though is having the very short i2s cabling and isolation after the usb receiver, in addition to the upgraded clocks.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:17 PM Post #3,680 of 11,275
oo upgraded clocks, ive thought about asking Kingwa if the Amanero board can be replaced by something like which has the accusilicons as well https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/273421518832

Is this like the Singxer F-1 board, except maybe a different clock?

Looks like the Ebay USB board is very much a quasi-clone of the Singxer F1 without the S/PDIF connector and some obvious circuit differences. “Compatible with Amanero” just means it will mount in place of the Amanero board sold by Amanero (not AGD’s version). If using I2S this Ebay board looks like it would drop in place a Singxer F1 with minimun difficulty.

But the big question is what driver do you use for Windows? Singxer’s driver or something else half baked. If it operated reliably in a system like the F1 then it could be very good.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:37 PM Post #3,681 of 11,275
Holy moly! Thanks Fred. I ordered two of each 90M and 98M.

A huge amount of work necessary to replace the DAC oscillators. The center digital board has to be removed and the oscillators soldered from the back of the board. Big job that requires very good soldering skills and experience.
I will pass on it, i would not have the patience.

Mar 12, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #3,682 of 11,275
But the big question is what driver do you use for Windows? Singxer’s driver or something else half baked. If it operated reliably in a system like the F1 then it could be very good.
i have an older xmos based ddc and the driver installed automatically on windows 10

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #3,683 of 11,275
Yes, but outputs i2s as well as spdif, it would be a direct swap for the amaneroand would need the audio gd built in power supply for after the isolation. I suppose you could use an i2s isolator as well but i dont know how you'd power the fpga and clock section xD And yes I belive the f1 has a crystek 575? this has the accusilicon. The main point though is having the very short i2s cabling and isolation after the usb receiver, in addition to the upgraded clocks.
Is Accusilicon better than Crystek ? How about using OCXO ?

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:28 AM Post #3,684 of 11,275

I dont know, I dont think so, it's been a while since I saw the graphs comparing them all and I can't find them again Dx I'd imagine crystek and accusilicon perform similar and outperform tcxo, and ocxo outperforms all of them, but ocxos are large and expensive, correct?

Mar 13, 2019 at 12:43 AM Post #3,685 of 11,275
I dont know, I dont think so, it's been a while since I saw the graphs comparing them all and I can't find them again Dx I'd imagine crystek and accusilicon perform similar and outperform tcxo, and ocxo outperforms all of them, but ocxos are large and expensive, correct?
Yes, Ocxos are costly, esp the 10 Hz. Pinkfaun has one that can be attached to their USB or I2S bridge but that is for PC use. I don't know if one can put the OXCO clock also in the F-1 or similar USB ---> I2S bridge for DAC.

https://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/products/streaming-audio/pink-faun-usb-bridge.html

I can't find the pic for the Oxco, it is kind of big and costs $700! I can use this OXCO on my current Pinkfaun bridge as upgrade so maybe it is redundant to add another super clock to the F-1, though unless one can clock both bridges using an external master clock ?? But perhaps using a very short nice USB cable to connect the OXCO USB bridge from the PC to the F-1 in the DAC is good enough.

Mar 13, 2019 at 2:39 AM Post #3,686 of 11,275
Yes, you are Right, one drilling for the screw and widen the Slot with a Dremel. The I2S board is already here, the Gustard U16 is burned in, but now i´m unsure to do it.
The Gustard U16 via I2S, compared to the direct USB connection via Amareno (decoupled with Aqvox) does not give me the motivation to touch the R8.
The difference is up to now neglectible imho, i have to make more comparisons, but spend the less time rather for listening.
The U16 is a test...The R8 feeded with the PS Audio PWT via I2S is a clear audible different Story.
By the way, I bought a NOS11 for my HD800s and even if the 4*1704 Dac is great, it is audible different. The R8 is clearly a class up imho.
In my opinion the DA8 / D7 boards are the end game...(under consideration of the important analog part)...

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #3,687 of 11,275
Heads up @Whitigir @DACLadder : Kingwa is now offering Accusilicon oscillators. I understand, could be wrong, that they can be installed in a newly ordered dac or ordered separately.
I have been asking for that kakaka, unfortunately....that is too much works.

For those of you who wondered if an OCXO up the stream from the source, and down the stream from the DAC would do any good ? I say yes, it does. I use Pinkfaun i2s OCXO and OCXO on my lks004. They are wonderful

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:24 AM Post #3,688 of 11,275

Accusilicon claims slightly better specs (by a few dB) in their datasheet versus Crystek. The circuits (power, PCB layout) that the oscillators operate in have much to do with their performance in each use case as well. So who really knows for sure...

OCXO's (oven controlled oscillators) are not a direct replacement of Accusilicon 318Bs.. Different packaging. Plus OCXOs usually require two power sources - one for the oscillator and the other higher current for the "oven" heating element.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:30 AM Post #3,689 of 11,275
Accusilicon claims slightly better specs (by a few dB) in their datasheet versus Crystek. The circuits (power, PCB layout) that the oscillators operate in have much to do with their performance in each use case as well. So who really knows for sure...

OCXO's (oven controlled oscillators) are not a direct replacement of Accusilicon 318Bs.. Different packaging. Plus OCXOs usually require two power sources - one for the oscillator and the other higher current for the "oven" heating element.

Specs for specs, accusillicon is very top tier, except against OCXO, but like you said, every other surrounding elements will play a huge role

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:55 AM Post #3,690 of 11,275
Specs for specs, accusillicon is very top tier, except against OCXO, but like you said, every other surrounding elements will play a huge role

The Accusilicon 318Bs have excellent specs and sound good in the Gustard U16 DDC. You are correct OCXOs are generally considered to be much more stable. And they are priced accordingly. Your Pink Faun and DAC must warm up rather quickly with the OCXOs compared to TCXOs.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back