New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Mar 13, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #3,691 of 11,276
The Accusilicon 318Bs have excellent specs and sound good in the Gustard U16 DDC. You are correct OCXOs are generally considered to be much more stable. And they are priced accordingly. Your Pink Faun and DAC must warm up rather quickly with the OCXOs compared to TCXOs.
Yes, the audiogd r2r7 takes 24 hours before it sound at it best, the LKS004 and my Pinkfaun needs about 20 minutes

Mar 13, 2019 at 3:03 PM Post #3,692 of 11,276
I have a 2015 Master 7 with the upgraded DSP7 using the old 1704UK chips.
How big of an upgrade is the latest and greatest R2R-7 with Kingwa's custom R2R ladder?

Also, how does the R2R-7 (2018 model) compare to Yggy-v2?

Mar 13, 2019 at 7:27 PM Post #3,693 of 11,276
How big of an upgrade is the latest and greatest R2R-7 with Kingwa's custom R2R ladder?

With a great i2s transport, the m7 is very comparable and more organic. The r7 has the last word with bass quality, sounstaging and resolution. The m7 is still a great dac by today's standards. I love them both.

Never heard the Yggy.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:13 PM Post #3,694 of 11,276
@comzee For the past few days I have been listening to the M7S (V3A f/w) driven by Gustard U16 I2S. The R7 is more transparent and has better low-level resolution but it doesn’t blow the M7S out of the water. The M7S is just a little warmer and is always enjoyable. Like @FredA mentioned both DACs sound best with a good I2S transport.

I’m not sure the R7 will get you $2500 worth of real upgrade. In many ways the R7 and M7S sound similar - like dynamics, sharing DSP filters, same power supplies, chassis, I/O boards, etc.

Mar 13, 2019 at 8:44 PM Post #3,695 of 11,276
@DACLadder @FredA Thanks for the input.
It's funny you both mention i2s transports. I read this too back when I first bought it. I used to own a Singxer-SU1 which did i2s over hdmi.
I tried the Schiit Eitr after awhile, and liked it much better, clearer, less warm, more separation, blacker background. Seems like the quality of the DDC matters more than the i2s input.

I also have a Lynx AES16e, but it's maybe .5% better (imo) than the Eitr, so I just use the latter.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #3,696 of 11,276
It's funny you both mention i2s transports. I read this too back when I first bought it. I used to own a Singxer-SU1 which did i2s over hdmi.
I tried the Schiit Eitr after awhile, and liked it much better, clearer, less warm, more separation, blacker background. Seems like the quality of the DDC matters more than the i2s input.

I also have a Lynx AES16e, but it's maybe .5% better (imo) than the Eitr, so I just use the latter.
I2s has been mentioned and recommended ad nauseam with the m7. You need a silent computer for it to work best and possibly galvanic isolation depending on the setup. I2s is sensitive to ground loops, not spdif (the spdif inputs are galvanically isolated) . I use a usbridge and an intona before a u16. Works great. The usbridge is fed with 2 lps.

Mar 13, 2019 at 10:52 PM Post #3,697 of 11,276
I have been running the newer Singxer SU-6 with Crystek 957 femtoclock for a while now, I2S RJ45 with my 2017 Master-11 Singularity and I2S HDMI with the R2R-R1.

On my PC side, I have the new Matrix Element H PCIe USB card, also featuring the Crystek femtoclock, and running external power (9V iFi iPower low noise adaptor).

I had the iFi iGalvanic 3.0 with Mercury cable in between the PC and the Singxer previously, but once I added the Element H card and powered it externally, I cannot hear any difference with the iFi galvanic isolator out of the chain. Waiting for a friend with more sensitive ears to pop by to share his impressions.

I have also ordered a Gustard U16 to try with the R1. Can't try with my M11S as my unit is older without HDMI input, but will be interesting to see how the sound compares with the Singxer SU-6.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:00 PM Post #3,698 of 11,276
I have been running the newer Singxer SU-6 with Crystek 957 femtoclock for a while now, I2S RJ45 with my 2017 Master-11 Singularity and I2S HDMI with the R2R-R1.

On my PC side, I have the new Matrix Element H PCIe USB card, also featuring the Crystek femtoclock, and running external power (9V iFi iPower low noise adaptor).

I had the iFi iGalvanic 3.0 with Mercury cable in between the PC and the Singxer previously, but once I added the Element H card and powered it externally, I cannot hear any difference with the iFi galvanic isolator out of the chain. Waiting for a friend with more sensitive ears to pop by to share his impressions.

I have also ordered a Gustard U16 to try with the R1. Can't try with my M11S as my unit is older without HDMI input, but will be interesting to see how the sound compares with the Singxer SU-6.
So you must get a substantial sound upgrade with such hardware. The su-6 is sort of battery-powered so it will break a possible ground loop. And a clean and well clocked usb source really helps. You reach the major leagues with such hw.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:06 PM Post #3,699 of 11,276
So you must get a substantial sound upgrade with such hardware. The su-6 is sort of battery-powered so it will break a possible ground loop. And a clean and well clocked usb source really helps. You reach the major leagues with such hw.

Yes, the SU-6 sounds fantastic. As u say, the power is provided by super capacitor and the sound output is clean with rich dynamics. Never gonna look at USB audio again for sure. Still, will be interesting to see how the U16 compares directly at half the cost.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,700 of 11,276
Yes, the SU-6 sounds fantastic. As u say, the power is provided by super capacitor and the sound output is clean with rich dynamics. Never gonna look at USB audio again for sure. Still, will be interesting to see how the U16 compares directly at half the cost.
Looking forward to getting your impressions. The u16 sounds great, and try with the isolator if possible.

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #3,701 of 11,276
I have been running the newer Singxer SU-6 with Crystek 957 femtoclock for a while now, I2S RJ45 with my 2017 Master-11 Singularity and I2S HDMI with the R2R-R1. On my PC side, I have the new Matrix Element H PCIe USB card, also featuring the Crystek femtoclock, and running external power (9V iFi iPower low noise adaptor).

I'm sure that gear is adding to your DAC, but if your signature is up to date and correct, you're going to get leaps and bounds more performance from your system with a better amp.
Not that the amps you have are bad, they're just bottlenecking your system. Getting an Eddie Current Aficionado or Studio Jr. (or similar performance tube amp) is going to shoot your system lightyears ahead.

I chased the whole USB digital input nervosi stuff, and it's just minuscule performance improvements over getting a solid top tier amp.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #3,702 of 11,276
Looking forward to getting your impressions. The u16 sounds great, and try with the isolator if possible.

will be using the U16 with the iFi galvanic

Mar 13, 2019 at 11:56 PM Post #3,703 of 11,276
I'm sure that gear is adding to your DAC, but if your signature is up to date and correct, you're going to get leaps and bounds more performance from your system with a better amp.
Not that the amps you have are bad, they're just bottlenecking your system. Getting an Eddie Current Aficionado or Studio Jr. (or similar performance tube amp) is going to shoot your system lightyears ahead.

I chased the whole USB digital input nervosi stuff, and it's just minuscule performance improvements over getting a solid top tier amp.

I have listened to 300B amps with my headphones, they are good platforms but I would have to invest a lot more money in their tubes to make it significantly better than my current amps with their NOS tubes. Having said that, I have a Glenn OTL on the way which I expect will relegate the existing amps to the bedside or office :wink:

Also, for what it's worth, I don't have a silent PC as a dedicated music server nor do i run a network streamer, so the I2S improvements over USB have actually been huge.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #3,704 of 11,276

The R2R7 may give substantial improvement but I can’t be sure since I have never heard the 1704 chips - u can ignore this comment, i did not realize someone has answered this better. (I can’t delete this comment!)

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #3,705 of 11,276

Interesting, as the eitr has its own LPS (unlike Singxer) and also separate 44 & 48hz clocks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back