New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 8, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #3,451 of 11,260
I asked Kingwa in an Email about the hybrid V3SA and IN4 Optical support.

V3 Accurate OS 8x is interesting. Sounds a little crisper than V2A. @FredA is there more precision in general with V3 versus V2? Did Kingwa give any insight? I just thought the NOS modes changed up.
V3a in os8 seems to be different. More air if my memory does not betray me, perhaps less dynamic. I haven’t tried the two other flavors. Not yet. From the release note i posted, it seems like the accurate fw in os8 has changed and that is what i hear (the os8 mode is the same for the other flavors again if i rely on the release notes or my interpretation of them).

But with the improvments to the nos modes, i am now a big fan, especially of nos2.

Nov 8, 2018 at 8:33 PM Post #3,457 of 11,260
Kingwa said V3 with R2R 7 support is freshly minted and asked that we test. I’m sure more will come as these limited versions are tested and confidence gained. And you may want to inquire directly with Kingwa about IN4 Optical support. He seems to be busy but willing to support us on Head Fi.

Besides OS/NOS and PCM - DSD needs to be tickled just to make something is not broken. Thanks everyone!

Now where did I put that Blaster and pack of jumpers?! The built-in USB blaster and new face panel are looking mighty sweet. I ordered the R7 faceplate/ display last night. It is very cheap. Shipping was the biggest expense. Kingwa talked me out of the USB blaster upgrade. Too much time and work!
We should ask Kingwa about DSD upgrade software but not sure if he cares or has the market for it. Hopefully as the Chinese get into more DSD he would take it more seriously. Some nice digital filters to clean up the background noise (without loosing SQ) would be nice. And for some of u, DSD512 implementation

Nov 8, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #3,458 of 11,260
Kingwa said V3 with R2R 7 support is freshly minted and asked that we test. I’m sure more will come as these limited versions are tested and confidence gained. And you may want to inquire directly with Kingwa about IN4 Optical support. He seems to be busy but willing to support us on Head Fi.

Besides OS/NOS and PCM - DSD needs to be tickled just to make something is not broken. Thanks everyone!

Now where did I put that Blaster and pack of jumpers?! The built-in USB blaster and new face panel are looking mighty sweet. I ordered the R7 faceplate/ display last night. It is very cheap. Shipping was the biggest expense. Kingwa talked me out of the USB blaster upgrade. Too much time and work!
After using the faceplate for a week, i don’t regret getting it, even though it was not a piece of cake to install.

One thing: between the sides and the front corners, there is some shimming material to ensure there is enough width to slide in the cover. Be sure that this shimming material remains.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:16 PM Post #3,460 of 11,260
I have a Master 9 amp for headphone listening. Is there a "proper way" to switch between headphones? (i.e. cycle power between headphones, turn volume down, etc). I have not seen any issues yet, but I do not want to fry any of my headphone drivers. Also, is there a "proper way" to power the amp on and off, should the headphones remain plugged in during this? Thanks for your input.

Nov 8, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #3,461 of 11,260
I have a Master 9 amp for headphone listening. Is there a "proper way" to switch between headphones? (i.e. cycle power between headphones, turn volume down, etc). I have not seen any issues yet, but I do not want to fry any of my headphone drivers. Also, is there a "proper way" to power the amp on and off, should the headphones remain plugged in during this? Thanks for your input.
I just turned down the volume by enough increments if i know the new set is more sensitive. I usually stop the playback. But as long as you don’t have the level turned way up while playing music and then plug a very sensitive set, you should have not problem, i never had any. Audio-gd has no specificity with this regards AFAIK. I never unplugged my phone before turning the amp off, but i rarely turn it off. Do a test at low volume and check if you hear a pop when swithing on or off. Some amp can do a pop after turning them on too soon after turning them off. I don’t think either of my 3 audio-gd amps does. There is a delay implemented to prevent this if i am not mistaken, during which the display will blink and the amp will be muted.

Nov 9, 2018 at 4:02 PM Post #3,462 of 11,260
Hi everybody. Which are the new preferred settings now with V3 online?

Nov 10, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #3,464 of 11,260
The V3 release is more complicated as it is supported on more units that are not compatible. I do not have R7 V3 firmware with support for the new faceplate/ display. And I do not yet have R2R 7 IN4 Optical firmware. If and when I get new firmware I will post them with an explanation.

Eventually there can be four variations of V3 that you have to decide which is compatible for your system: R7, R2R 7 IN4 I2S, R2R 7 IN4 Optical, or R8.

All the older firmware, like R2R 7 V2, filenames have be changed from "R7V2..". to "R2R7V2...". "R7" nomenclature is now reserved for the new R7 firmware. V2 IN4 Optical directory name changes to include the M7S like "R2R7-M7S V2 IN4 Optical Firmware". Hope this helps and look at the directory and file names to find what works for your DAC. Choose wisely!
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Nov 10, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #3,465 of 11,260
I mentioned to Kingwa my liking the improved nos modes with the v3 accurate while complaining that os8 was too bright and lacked a bit of punch. He suggested i tried os4 and os2. I am on os4 now. Guess what? You guessed right, i like it very much so far. It makes the sound slightly tubby, which i really appreciate. Punch is somewhat improved having more energy in the mids and lower mids, as a results of my cranking the volume a few notches up, without being penalized by the highs. I think the treble is is what makes this combination maybe slightly better than nos2.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back