New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Nov 7, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #3,436 of 11,260
I rapidly swapped between all the modes playing the same track. My preference goes like this:

1. Nos 2: good punch in the bass, not quite as refined as the two below but more lively. Not such a big advantage but enough to appreciate it. Best bass response.
2. Nos 3 or os8, pretty much equal: lack a bit of liveliness compared to nos 2, but more refined overall. Os8 has better dynamics than nos3 but is less analog
3. Nos 1: clearly not as good: unrefined in comparison

All in all, less than 1-2% difference between the different modes.
You mean NOS2 is not as refined as NOS3 and OS8 bt NOS1 is least refined?

Nov 7, 2018 at 11:23 PM Post #3,438 of 11,260
Yes. But nos2 compensates with liveliness and bass response. Directness too.
I am testing NOS + dither; with dither it tones down the wildness/undisciplined sound of NOS 1 and has more refinement. NOS1 tends to have widest sound stage and I suspect dynamics can be stunning but it gets a bit out of control. With dither it becomes refined enough to listen and yet has more of the rawness/wildness too. Check it out, u can do dither from front panel ? Too clumsy for me to check how NOS1 +dither compare with other NOS modes without dither.

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:15 AM Post #3,440 of 11,260
I scored a used Master 9 on eBay today that is only a few months old. I should have it next week to pair up with the used M7S I purchased a few months ago. After some time with the pair I will start trying the new firmware with the M7S. Hopefully, someday I will upgrade the M7S with whatever succeeds the R7.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:50 AM Post #3,441 of 11,260
I am testing NOS + dither; with dither it tones down the wildness/undisciplined sound of NOS 1 and has more refinement. NOS1 tends to have widest sound stage and I suspect dynamics can be stunning but it gets a bit out of control. With dither it becomes refined enough to listen and yet has more of the rawness/wildness too. Check it out, u can do dither from front panel ? Too clumsy for me to check how NOS1 +dither compare with other NOS modes without dither.
Yes, all settings are available. I will try it later today.

Nov 8, 2018 at 5:56 AM Post #3,442 of 11,260
I scored a used Master 9 on eBay today that is only a few months old. I should have it next week to pair up with the used M7S I purchased a few months ago. After some time with the pair I will start trying the new firmware with the M7S. Hopefully, someday I will upgrade the M7S with whatever succeeds the R7.
With a matching headphone set, you are up for great sound. v3 should be the way to go, but a guy on the r-28 thread prefers v2, so who knows. At least, either one should beat v1.

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:16 AM Post #3,443 of 11,260
I am testing NOS + dither; with dither it tones down the wildness/undisciplined sound of NOS 1 and has more refinement. NOS1 tends to have widest sound stage and I suspect dynamics can be stunning but it gets a bit out of control. With dither it becomes refined enCheck it out, u can do dither from front panel ? Too clumsy for me to check how NOS1 +dither compare with other NOS modes without dither.
Yes, all settings are available. I will try it later today.
Only with the R7 though, not on R8. Just to make that clear :)

Nov 8, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #3,445 of 11,260
You are right again. Nos1 with dithering has great bass and better imaging than nos2 without. Nos2 is better without dithering than with. There is definitely more sparkle with nos 1- dithering, more spatial cues and micro information in general. Do we have a new winner? For now, i find nos 2 a little more lively (mids and bass are better) and involving, so still my favorite. To be continued....

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #3,446 of 11,260
**** V3 FIRMWARE FOR R2R 7 and R8 AVAILABLE FOR TEST ***

Please test and enjoy

R2R 7 V3 IN4 I2S - Smooth and Accurate I2S versions. (No IN4 Optical at this time).

R8 V3 - Kingwa is now shipping V3 on R8s. Assume shipping is V3 Smooth but included also here is the R8 V3 Accurate version.

In the link below look for the directory labels and file names to guide you to the appropriate firmware... Its getting complicated with all the permutations. If you see any errors let me know... Report any operational issues here and to Kingwa.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2018 at 12:53 PM Post #3,448 of 11,260
**** V3 FIRMWARE FOR R2R 7 and R8 AVAILABLE FOR TEST ***

Please test and enjoy

R2R 7 V3 IN4 I2S - Smooth and Accurate I2S versions. (No IN4 Optical at this time).

R8 V3 - Kingwa is now shipping V3 on R8s. Assume shipping is V3 Smooth but included also here is the R8 V3 Accurate version.

In the link below look for the directory labels and file names to guide you to the appropriate firmware... Its getting complicated with all the permutations. If you see any errors let me know... Report any operational issues here and to Kingwa.
https://onedrive.live.com/?id=636DC4E8060D66A1!172&cid=636DC4E8060D66A1
Thanks Scott!

No hybrid firmware this time?

Do you know when in4 Optical is going to be available?

Nov 8, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #3,449 of 11,260
Thanks Scott!

No hybrid firmware this time?

Do you know when in4 Optical is going to be available?

Kingwa said V3 with R2R 7 support is freshly minted and asked that we test. I’m sure more will come as these limited versions are tested and confidence gained. And you may want to inquire directly with Kingwa about IN4 Optical support. He seems to be busy but willing to support us on Head Fi.

Besides OS/NOS and PCM - DSD needs to be tickled just to make something is not broken. Thanks everyone!

Now where did I put that Blaster and pack of jumpers?! The built-in USB blaster and new face panel are looking mighty sweet. I ordered the R7 faceplate/ display last night. It is very cheap. Shipping was the biggest expense. Kingwa talked me out of the USB blaster upgrade. Too much time and work!

Nov 8, 2018 at 4:36 PM Post #3,450 of 11,260
I asked Kingwa in an Email about the hybrid V3SA and IN4 Optical support.

V3 Accurate OS 8x is interesting. Sounds a little crisper than V2A. @FredA is there more precision in general with V3 versus V2? Did Kingwa give any insight? I just thought the NOS modes changed up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back