New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 18, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #2,808 of 11,260
Ye]
I confirm i don't have the issue with the singxer f-1, but @Chopin75, you use an f-1 too? I am surprised at how good sotware-converted-to-dsd256 files sound on headphones.
yes, F-1, not amenero. I will ask Magna. Not sure why, unless there is something going on with the F-1 board implementation but why only DSD 256? I will also try conversion to see how that goes.

Also I am not using ACSS or Ballanced output, just SE unbalanced if that makes a difference?

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:39 PM Post #2,811 of 11,260
Nope! The thing that convert back to Native DSD is your DAC, not the DDC (matrix-spdif2). It stands for Digital to Digital Conversion, that means 1 bit DSD into 3-4 bits DOP in order to pass through I2S

DDC matters by a lot because with good design, the noises are suppressed without neglecting too much of performances and with exotic parts (low noises, high tolerances), the performances are more stabilized. None the less, USB interfaces is still behind a real Direct I2S (2 more conversion steps). The only benefit now is that it allows DSD512 and soon DSD1024 with newest generation XmosU216.

Can not wait to see a properly done PCIE-I2S that does DSD

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 12:54 PM Post #2,812 of 11,260
I doubt the R2R7 (or any R2R audio-gd Dac) support’s DoP. I asked Magna Hifi and they confirmed DoP is not supported through i2s or usb, only native DSD. They tested with different sources they confirmed and also asked Kingwa for DoP support.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 1:01 PM Post #2,813 of 11,260
I doubt the R2R7 (or any R2R audio-gd Dac) support’s DoP. I asked Magna Hifi and they confirmed DoP is not supported through i2s or usb, only native DSD. They tested with different sources they confirmed and also asked Kingwa for DoP support.

And how in the world can you transmit 1bit DSD over I2S ? Because I2S is Multi-bit. You do know that the R7 boards are I2S Native right ?

PC==>USB(DSD 1bit)===>Amanero,F1,SU-1====>I2S===>R7-Digital board.

That is how it goes.

If PCM is being sent over, the Cyclone will route the PCM into R2R boards, which comes back to another end of Cyclone, and then it will proceed upon Jumper settings with firmware encoded program, which becomes Analog signals and then goes straight into Capacitor arrays

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2018 at 1:04 PM Post #2,814 of 11,260
No review?

Take all my posts and put them together and you got about 10 pages of observations and all sorts of review elements. No way the Yggdrasil beats the r2r 7. It was beaten by the M7 according to a couple of headfiers who owned both, including @DACLadder.

In the current state of things, i have yet to find any flaw in the sound and i am nothing short of captivated by it. I would even bet whatever you want that some people would even say the r2r 11 beats the Yggdrasil all considered. Subjectively lets say.

Last time @Currawong commented, he said they were so close, it was even not even worth picking a winner. I suggest someone lend me his Yggdrasil to get a second opinion. I have absolutely no interest in owning one considering i have never heard, besides stuff costing way over 10k, anything that sound as good as the r2r 7.

One very important thing to understand, and i want to make myself very clear: you need the whole chain for things to work. Don't ever think a dac will make everything by itself. And it requires matching all the elements, you need to have a lot of experience, patience, flair, and excellent hearing.

If they are that close I would probably err on the side of Yggy just because its a bit cheaper and is made in USA so if I need to get a repair I don't have to ship all the way back to china. Although it does seem like Audio Gd has a lifetime warranty.

Aug 18, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #2,820 of 11,260
The R2R7 cannot unfold DoP messages according to Kingwa.
If you know better, then ask him how is r2r7 processing DSD Native ? Because Amanero is sending DOP over I2S

Just so you get an idea. This is my older Amanero from R2R7. See those terminals in red circles ? They are I2S language, and I2S has to be multi-bit

985648D2-60BD-4ED7-821A-8626DE67C6AD.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back