New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Aug 14, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #226 of 11,260
Tonight, same story again. This DAC is beyond excellent. It's so close to reality, it's captivating. And so relaxing to listen to at the same time. One of the most analog sound out of a digital source i have ever heard. I am looking forward to getting impressions from a friend who owns an excellent turntable. I am afraid he will buy one and get in trouble with his girlfriend.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 12:36 AM Post #228 of 11,260
The new flagship has been released
Looks like the tformers were oriented vertically to make room for the 4th tformer.
The specs are almost a copy/paste. No way it's the same weight and dimensions as the R2R7.

a friend who owns an excellent turntable
oh yeah, these DACs turn-the-tables on turn tables
(I really need to catch up on sleep, if that's any indication)

Aug 15, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #229 of 11,260
Looks like the tformers were oriented vertically to make room for the 4th tformer.
The specs are almost a copy/paste. No way it's the same weight and dimensions as the R2R7.

oh yeah, these DACs turn-the-tables on turn tables
(I really need to catch up on sleep, if that's any indication)
No. It is supposed to be heavier. But the rest of the specs should be the same based on the he-7s vs master-7s. The specs don't tell the whole story and the he series are all improvments over their counterparts.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 11:31 AM Post #230 of 11,260
Heads up. The new flagship has been released.

http://www.audio-gd.com/HE/R2R7HE/R2R7HEEN_Specs.htm

I literally just had my R2R 7 delivered this morning and already a HE version! I cant win. Didn't expect it to be released so soon after the R2R7!
time to plug her in to burn for like 600 more hours as you recommended Fred, probably wont even give it a listen for a couple days...

I was already seriously considering buying a HE-350 to give regen power to the R2R 7, my Preamp, and my CD Player all at once.
Now with the R2R 7HE released I am curious if the R2R 7 + HE350 is at the same level as the R2R 7HE.
I just emailed this question to Kingwa, asking which would have better quality. I will let you guys know what he says.

Aug 15, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #231 of 11,260
I literally just had my R2R 7 delivered this morning and already a HE version! I cant win. Didn't expect it to be released so soon after the R2R7!
time to plug her in to burn for like 600 more hours as you recommended Fred, probably wont even give it a listen for a couple days...

I was already seriously considering buying a HE-350 to give regen power to the R2R 7, my Preamp, and my CD Player all at once.
Now with the R2R 7HE released I am curious if the R2R 7 + HE350 is at the same level as the R2R 7HE.
I just emailed this question to Kingwa, asking which would have better quality. I will let you guys know what he says.
Great! We will get impressions by two additional member, Wynnytsky expects his today.

Aug 15, 2017 at 1:16 PM Post #232 of 11,260
And I pulled the triggeron the R2R11. :)

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #234 of 11,260
You mean the trigger!? Looking forward to hearing on it. It looks just great.
Haha, yes. I am coming off the Chord Mojo so this should be pretty interesting!

Aug 15, 2017 at 5:59 PM Post #235 of 11,260
So got my R2R 7 all setup, listening now.. sounds pretty damn good initially without additional burn in.... but obviously way to early for any comparisons vs my Yulong DA8 II
I will probably leave the R2R 7 powered up all the time for good measure. (with possibly a HE-350 feeding it soon...)

plays 16/24, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 and DSD with no issues, but a little bit of a pop when changing between sample rates which is a bit annoying, wish Kingwa had put a 1 second mute on sample rate change to eliminate this problem.
The majority of my songs are 16/44 but I have playlists that include 24/96 files also and I hear the pop when it switches sample rates in these playlists. That being stated I am very happy with the R2R 7 so far... cant wait to hear it once burn in is complete

my chain is as follows: (was the same with Yulong DA8 II, just swapped in the R2R 7)

Win 10 PC w/ Dual Intel NIC running Jriver 22 (Sending Music via DNLA to SMS-200)
SOTM SMS-200 NAA (Uptone LPS-1 Powered) (directly connected to PC via Bridged LAN Connection)
Uptone ISO Regen (Uptone LPS-1 Powered)
Audio-GD R2R 7 --> Balanced Out
Spread Spectrum Technologies Thoebe II Preamp --> Balanced Out
Spread Spectrum Technologies Son Of Ampzilla II Amp
Monitor Audio GX300 speakers
Marantz CD6005 CD Player
Audio Sensibility OCC Copper Interconnects and Power Cables (Statement Series)
Audio Sensibility Statement SE Power Distribution
P_20170815_180136_vHDR_On.jpg
mUUVe

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2017 at 7:05 PM Post #236 of 11,260
So got my R2R 7 all setup, listening now.. sounds pretty damn good initially without additional burn in.... but obviously way to early for any comparisons vs my Yulong DA8 II
I will probably leave the R2R 7 powered up all the time for good measure. (with possibly a HE-350 feeding it soon...)

plays 16/24, 24/96, 24/176, 24/192 and DSD with no issues, but a little bit of a pop when changing between sample rates which is a bit annoying, wish Kingwa had put a 1 second mute on sample rate change to eliminate this problem.
The majority of my songs are 16/44 but I have playlists that include 24/96 files also and I hear the pop when it switches sample rates in these playlists. That being stated I am very happy with the R2R 7 so far... cant wait to hear it once burn in is complete

my chain is as follows: (was the same with Yulong DA8 II, just swapped in the R2R 7)

Win 10 PC w/ Dual Intel NIC running Jriver 22 (Sending Music via DNLA to SMS-200)
SOTM SMS-200 NAA (Uptone LPS-1 Powered) (directly connected to PC via Bridged LAN Connection)
Uptone ISO Regen (Uptone LPS-1 Powered)
Audio-GD R2R 7 --> Balanced Out
Spread Spectrum Technologies Thoebe II Preamp --> Balanced Out
Spread Spectrum Technologies Son Of Ampzilla II Amp
Monitor Audio GX300 speakers
Marantz CD6005 CD Player
Audio Sensibility OCC Copper Interconnects and Power Cables (Statement Series)
Audio Sensibility Statement SE Power Distribution

mUUVe

Yeah. I think this dac should always left on. It takes several hours if not more to stabilize. I had to turn mine off this morning for a few hours. It still has not recovered from the down time. Just starting to wake up and play like it should.

Looking forward to getiing comments on the HE-350.

Aug 15, 2017 at 7:34 PM Post #237 of 11,260
When I'm ready. :) There's some other stuff that has to get done first, but I also want to do a DAC-off with good speaker system.

That's wise to have a listen with speakers. It has such good imaging. I much prefer it with speakers now. I think it is still improving appoaching a 1000 hours, by the way.

Aug 15, 2017 at 9:21 PM Post #238 of 11,260
I asked Kingwa about R2R7 + HE350 vs R2R 7HE and this was his reply below... I am now ordering a HE-350 lol, excited to enter the world of power regeneration and r2r at the same time!

"If only the R2R7 compare to R2R7HE, it is better on R2R7HE
But if with the HE350, and all your other sources, preamp, DAC , except your power amp connect on the HE350, I am consider the HE350 offer better sound for the whole system than a R2R7 HE in the system."

Aug 15, 2017 at 10:31 PM Post #239 of 11,260
I asked Kingwa about R2R7 + HE350 vs R2R 7HE and this was his reply below... I am now ordering a HE-350 lol, excited to enter the world of power regeneration and r2r at the same time!

"If only the R2R7 compare to R2R7HE, it is better on R2R7HE
But if with the HE350, and all your other sources, preamp, DAC , except your power amp connect on the HE350, I am consider the HE350 offer better sound for the whole system than a R2R7 HE in the system."
This is a big and heavy piece of equipement, perhaps the only drawback. I would not have room for it as it is unfortunately. I remember asking the same question you did to Kingwa, he gave me the same exact answer.

Aug 16, 2017 at 3:41 AM Post #240 of 11,260
I was going to say... getting a separate power regenerator for your whole system would be the better option for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back