New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
May 29, 2018 at 5:12 PM Post #1,922 of 11,260
Very nice! Well.... what does it sound like? You may not be quite settled with DSP jumper setting changes. But what fun giving the Pink Faun a listen!

I am in Nos3, and I love NOS-3 mode!

Just as I expected, if you need any kind of DSP jumpers for your R2R7 to perform, your sources (transportations) are tainted somehow ! I do not need any other Jumpers, and the sound ? All I can say is I2S is the best of R2R7, and hearing is believing.

I heavily recommend Direct I2S (Pinkfaun) if you can afford, Coax easily affordable, then....if you have no choices or options, USB :D

Your R2R-7 is capable of greatness! Please, do not Gimp it capability down by cheap transportation systems

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 7:57 PM Post #1,923 of 11,260
So...my desktop system just Grown into another level

Welcome my Pinkfaun I2S PC (hotly built!) upgraded OCXO clock! NVME for OS and music files!

Connecting straight into R2R7 W000000TtT!

Wow! Im jealous.. I have been considering a Pink Faun PCI-E for a while to replace my complicated USB Chain.
What version did you go with for the bridge attachment? I2S over HDMI LVDS?

my current R2R7 USB Chain is as follows, and I would really love to simplify it as DLNA sucks.

Win10 PC with Jriver 24 --> Bridged Network via Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter --> SOTM sMS-200 (LPS-1 Powered) --> Audio Sensibility Statement Silver USB cable --> Uptone ISO Regen (LPS-1 Powered) --> Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter --> R2R7

R2R 7 is Feeding: Spread Spectrum Technologies Theobe II Preamp --> Spread Spectrum Technologies Son Of Ampzilla II --> Monitor Audio Gold GX-300 Speakers

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:05 PM Post #1,924 of 11,260
Wow! Im jealous.. I have been considering a Pink Faun PCI-E for a while to replace my complicated USB Chain.
What version did you go with for the bridge attachment? I2S over HDMI LVDS?

my current R2R7 USB Chain is as follows, and I would really love to simplify it as DLNA sucks.

Win10 PC with Jriver 24 --> Bridged Network via Intel® PRO/1000 PT Dual Port Server Adapter --> SOTM sMS-200 (LPS-1 Powered) --> Audio Sensibility Statement Silver USB cable --> Uptone ISO Regen (LPS-1 Powered) --> Uptone USPCB A>B Adapter --> R2R7

R2R 7 is Feeding: Spread Spectrum Technologies Theobe II Preamp --> Spread Spectrum Technologies Son Of Ampzilla II --> Monitor Audio Gold GX-300 Speakers

You got it! And with the OCXO upgrade.

By the way, does anyone know what “bypass” means for R2R-7 ?
5FF81373-C8E5-4EB5-B160-FC5398D0E6C6.jpeg

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:14 PM Post #1,925 of 11,260

Not sure about the bypass setting sorry.

I noticed in your picture it says "WCLK Inverted" on the back or your card.
Did you order the "I2S over HDMI LVDS, left/right invert" or "I2S over HDMI LVDS"??
Just want to be sure for if I place an order for one.
Thanks.

May 29, 2018 at 8:18 PM Post #1,926 of 11,260
Not sure about the bypass setting sorry.

I noticed in your picture it says "WCLK Inverted" on the back or your card.
Did you order the "I2S over HDMI LVDS, left/right invert" or "I2S over HDMI LVDS"??
Just want to be sure for if I place an order for one.
Thanks.

I guess that it must be inverted because I ordered it specifically for used with AudioGD R2r7

May 29, 2018 at 8:20 PM Post #1,927 of 11,260

Bypass is for the "high-exact" mode which means the reclocking circuit is narrowing/enlarging its pll's bandwidth. It's just for the i2s inputs. With a low quality signal, especially if you experience drops, it is recommended to install a jumper on "bypass". With the transport you have and any decent i2s transport, it's not required, unless brand-new and still not performing as it should.

From audio-gd:

For the HDMI or IIS input, if the sources or transmit cause the signal had not enough good, the sound had noise or distortion, push into the jumper for fixed the issue.(While USB and SPDIF inputs,this had not function )(If the source signal not good, may can not support up to 384KHz)

May 29, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,928 of 11,260
The BYPASS jumper controls lock range of the clock recovery on the I2S channels. BYPASS = Off is the tightest lock and best sound IMO. BYPASS = On is for higher jitter sources. My Gustard U12 HDMI I2S source would not work (dropouts) in the high bandwidth mode. Singxer SU-1 never fails.

"All inputs on the Audio GD M7 Singularity and R2R 7 DACs operate in "High Exact" clock recovery mode (very high bandwidth) for lowest jitter and best performance. On I2S inputs source clocking and cabling must be stable and sufficient quality for "High Exact" to operate reliably. If you experience audio dropouts or noise on HDMI or TTL I2S playback try placing a jumper on DSP BYPASS = On. This forces I2S inputs into a lower bandwidth/ wider lock window mode with only slight affect on sound quality. I2S input default has "High Exact" mode Enabled (BYPASS = Off). And the BYPASS jumper only impacts the I2S inputs.”

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 8:28 PM Post #1,929 of 11,260
Bypass is for the "high-exact" mode which means the reclocking circuit is narrowing/enlarging its pll's bandwidth. It's just for the i2s inputs. With a low quality signal, especially if you experience drops, it is recommended to install a jumper on "bypass". With the transport you have and any decent i2s transport, it's not required, unless brand-new and still not performing as it should.

From audio-gd:

For the HDMI or IIS input, if the sources or transmit cause the signal had not enough good, the sound had noise or distortion, push into the jumper for fixed the issue.(While USB and SPDIF inputs,this had not function )(If the source signal not good, may can not support up to 384KHz)

Yes, the descriptions from AudioGD is confusing lol! Thanks @FredA

May 29, 2018 at 8:55 PM Post #1,931 of 11,260
Wait...

Bypass off = tighest lock ?

Then

Bypass on = lowest PLL lock, which means it is for good source ?
The opposite. With bypass jumper off, you get the tightest lock. This works only with low jitter sources.

With the jumper on, a poor source will lock and sound ok and a good source will not sound as good because jitter will rise at the output of the dac.

Last edited:
May 29, 2018 at 9:02 PM Post #1,932 of 11,260
The opposite. With bypass jumper off, you get the tightest lock. This works only with low jitter sources.

With the jumper on, a poor source will lock ans sound ok and a good source will not sound as good because jitter will rise at the output of the dac.

You are correct.

I tried Bypass On, and the trebles resolutions and layering are “glued” together, there was no definitive separations between different layer of trebles, it is slightly harsher in comparison

Bypass off and the trebles resolutions, layering are vividly separated like a layered cakes, extensions are flying with smoothness. The same as Bass, and even soundstage is deeper, wider.

Most importantly, my new PC has totally Killed those “glares, annoying hisses”, even if I tried looking for it LoL!

May 29, 2018 at 9:12 PM Post #1,933 of 11,260
On another subject, Kingwa mentioned about the old M7 that it was good to give it a a good reset once in a while. With certain software, resource allocation performance can degrade over time, assuming for instance dynamic memory allocation is done during playback. I have taken this habit lately with the r2r 7. It seems to be useful. I do this once a week or once every two week, which means after 20-40 hours of playback, or when i feel the sound has become a little edgy. I reset the computer and the ddc at the same time. I turn the dac on first, then the ddc. With i2s sources, it is preferable to observe that order.

May 29, 2018 at 9:18 PM Post #1,934 of 11,260
On another subject, Kingwa mentioned about the old M7 that it was good to give it a a good reset once in a while. With certain software, resource allocation performance can degrade over time, assuming for instance dynamic memory allocation is done during playback. I have taken this habit lately with the r2r 7. It seems to be useful. I do this once a week or once every two week, which means after 20-40 hours of playback, or when i feel the sound has become a little edgy. I reset the computer and the ddc at the same time. I turn the dac on first, then the ddc. With i2s sources, it is preferable to observe that order.
You just completely lost me....what to do again ?

May 29, 2018 at 9:26 PM Post #1,935 of 11,260
You are correct.

I tried Bypass On, and the trebles resolutions and layering are “glued” together, there was no definitive separations between different layer of trebles, it is slightly harsher in comparison

Bypass off and the trebles resolutions, layering are vividly separated like a layered cakes, extensions are flying with smoothness. The same as Bass, and even soundstage is deeper, wider.

Most importantly, my new PC has totally Killed those “glares, annoying hisses”, even if I tried looking for it LoL!
Performance will always vary because of high-frequency noise making its way though the power suppies and inducing jitter. Hence my interest for a power regenerator. i will certainly get one at some point, probably sooner than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back