New Audio-gd R-7, R-7HE R-8, R-27, R-27HE, R-28 Flagship Resistor Ladder DACs and DAC/amps
Jul 29, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #142 of 11,259
Can't believe it, pll off is the default setting and i prefer it on!!! I would have bet i had just turned it off... Very confusing stuff.

I must agree, listening with jumper off right now (because i've put one at fist as it was in my master 7) and it's not even close to the sound i got with it ON (everything is quite messed up in I2s with singxer).. I don't know but as you said it's confusing...

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #144 of 11,259
I must agree, listening with jumper off right now (because i've put one at fist as it was in my master 7) and it's not even close to the sound i got with it ON (everything is quite messed up in I2s with singxer).. I don't know but as you said it's confusing...
Perhaps it still means no reclocking, which would explain the sound improvement, coming from the Crysteks. I don't know but i prefer with pll on, whatever that means.

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #145 of 11,259
Damn been a long time gone from the community, still using my old rusty Vega with my Master 9...
I might be thinking about upgrading soon my Vega for real, some of the recent DACs interest me, like the Holo and this one, since Master 9 I know is an excellent amp, and I find that Currawong was this threads starter... should be interesting to hear how good this is vs Yggdrasil and Holo

Jul 30, 2017 at 7:56 PM Post #146 of 11,259
Damn been a long time gone from the community, still using my old rusty Vega with my Master 9...
I might be thinking about upgrading soon my Vega for real, some of the recent DACs interest me, like the Holo and this one, since Master 9 I know is an excellent amp, and I find that Currawong was this threads starter... should be interesting to hear how good this is vs Yggdrasil and Holo
A comparison with the Holo is available in a short review made by a guy from the Netherlands. Look for a post by me for a link in this thread.

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:23 PM Post #147 of 11,259
Well... apparently in oversampling mode it's better than Holo, but isn't R2R supposed to be non-oversampling at its best?
I also see that you're selling your Master 7 that's even upgraded...
How easy is it to switch the different modes on the R2R 7?
Still waiting for more info from Currawong, and hopefully hear some more divorced singers :wink:

Jul 30, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #148 of 11,259
Well... apparently in oversampling mode it's better than Holo, but isn't R2R supposed to be non-oversampling at its best?
I also see that you're selling your Master 7 that's even upgraded...
How easy is it to switch the different modes on the R2R 7?
Still waiting for more info from Currawong, and hopefully hear some more divorced singers :wink:
One thing that you need to know from that review and NOS is they do not mention which NOS mode of the 3 available they used. My bet would be it was the default one. The default one is the one that supports the most formats, but that has the lowest sound quality, according to Kingwa.

Yes, my master-7 is for sale and indeed it has got the firmware upgrade.

To change the settings, you have to turn off and disconnect the dac, take the hood off and add/remove jumpers. Quite simple.

I must add, the r2r 7 is a superb dac.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #149 of 11,259
Does any of you had the chance to compare it with Denafrips Terminator? I'm looking forward to sell my master 7 to buy r2r 7, but I saw even the denafrips which seems to be promising.
For the same price, at some point, you will get the he version of r2r 7. My projection is It will be beyond awesome. Could be up there with the best dacs ever made, who knows.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2017 at 7:58 PM Post #150 of 11,259
I'm using the R2R 7 out of a Power Plant Premier, which I'm going to assume would be equivalent. I guess the impression that the "exceeding the expect" thing on the Audio-gd web site is Kingwa having a go at Rockna selling the same thing for $15k. Someone in the Rockna thread said his Yggy was more detailed...

I recall Kingwa saying something about how the NOS was implemented. The three modes in the R2R 7 obviously have something to do with it. After playing with jumpers, I've gone back to 8x OS, ie: The stock config. Other than up-sampling to 352/384k in Audirvana (with or without NOS mode on), every other combination either lacked in clarity (NOS) or sounded odd (DSD up-sampling).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back