New Audio-gd DAC-19 [10th Anniversary Edition]
Sep 16, 2015 at 8:08 AM Post #754 of 1,962
Hi.. Jus to share the best settings I found is leave it at default but turn of PLL .. It improves a lot on bass details n clarify n reduces the bloated loose bass

Thanks

Has anyone else turned off PLL on their DAC-19? impressions please?

Sep 16, 2015 at 9:44 AM Post #755 of 1,962
Thanks

Has anyone else turned off PLL on their DAC-19? impressions please?

The default settings were significantly better .
I tried all other settings with my master11 and they all sound like something is missing or thin in some way. Pll off doesn't make a difference with my setup as its so low of jitter but likely would cause some issues with some systems. I didn't notice an audible improvement with it off. But will try again as I now upgraded my USB source to a Paul pang v3 OCXO. No idea if this will matter but worth trying out to see.

Otherwise, Kingwa sets it up they way he does for a reason. Sounds sublime :)

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #756 of 1,962
The default settings were significantly better .
I tried all other settings with my master11 and they all sound like something is missing or thin in some way. Pll off doesn't make a difference with my setup as its so low of jitter but likely would cause some issues with some systems. I didn't notice an audible improvement with it off. But will try again as I now upgraded my USB source to a Paul pang v3 OCXO. No idea if this will matter but worth trying out to see.

Otherwise, Kingwa sets it up they way he does for a reason. Sounds sublime
smily_headphones1.gif

How often do you turn off your M11? It draws full power whilst its on right? That's one of my major concerns, I do want to keep the DAC on, but not keep the amp on along with it drawing so much power and heating up. Seems like it would have been a good upgrade from the DAC-19.

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:10 PM Post #757 of 1,962
How often do you turn off your M11? It draws full power whilst its on right? That's one of my major concerns, I do want to keep the DAC on, but not keep the amp on along with it drawing so much power and heating up. Seems like it would have been a good upgrade from the DAC-19.

It only draws 45watts... Less than most light bulbs.
I bought a thermaltake USB powered fan that I keep on it all the time. Kingwa recommends 24x5 usage without cooling. But many use it 24x7 without cooling. If your place never gets above 75, it's likely fine.
But I choose to keep a fan on super low rpm(barely even audible) to cool it while I'm not around. And often leave it running when I am. But doesn't really need it unless it's a hot day!
You have read the specs right? The power it draws is very little @45watt

Sep 16, 2015 at 1:47 PM Post #758 of 1,962
Seems like the paypal handling fee is free for the month of September. What a nice time to buy Audio-gd stuff! 
beerchug.gif

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:20 PM Post #759 of 1,962
Has anyone compared these three DACs.

1. Audio-GD 19 ($650)
2. Schitt GMB ($1250)
3a. Chord 2Qute ($1800)
3b. Chord Hugo ($2500)

All are in the running. Coming from a Meridian Director.
Input will be USB / HTPC.
Output will be RCA.
DSD/DXD not a concern.
Portability not needed (just an added fun factor of the Hugo)

Sep 16, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #760 of 1,962

1. Audio-GD 19 ($650)
2. Schitt GMB ($1250)
3a. Chord 2Qute ($1800)
3b. Chord Hugo ($2500)

Output will be RCA.
DSD/DXD not a concern.

Stillhart has tried both DAC 19 and GMB

Sep 16, 2015 at 3:32 PM Post #761 of 1,962

Stillhart has tried both DAC 19 and GMB

and I believe the Chord Hugo too...

I believe he still prefers the Dac19 over the GMB as the schiit house sound is forward and aggressive and usually a preference to the user if you like that sort of thing.

I know i've yet to hear any schiit product I love. the sound good, but not my preference for sure. too fatiguing i'm my opinion.

I've heard nothing but great things about the Chord Hugo, and would like to hear side by side with the dac19.

@schneller 
I do know the Dac19 is very musical and hard to beat or likely impossible to beat at the price point. I had owned one for a while too, but sold it and upgraded to the master11. I assume you're talking about the newest generation of the DAC19? 10th anniversary? your price point is WAY off if so. they start at 800 and are equipped well and shipped for under a grand.... :D the older dac19 is not as up to par as the current model.

Sep 16, 2015 at 4:05 PM Post #762 of 1,962

1. Audio-GD 19 ($650)
2. Schitt GMB ($1250)
3a. Chord 2Qute ($1800)
3b. Chord Hugo ($2500)

Output will be RCA.
DSD/DXD not a concern.

You can check my sig for a comparison of the GMB and DAC-19.  I'd say if you're sure you're going to be using it in SE mode only, don't get the GMB.  The SE output sounds notably worse.  

I've heard the Hugo a few times, but never had a chance to really compare it to the DAC-19.  I know I really enjoyed the sound of the DAC (the amp is a bit underpowered for anything but portable use).  But it's very expensive and at that price, you can (and should) be thinking about the Yggdrasil.

Between the four you listed, the DAC-19 seems the obvious choice if you are taking the price into account.  If you are asking just based off sound, I'd say you should probably try to demo some or all of them yourself.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:00 AM Post #763 of 1,962
So here's a bit of a longer term impression of the DAC-19.

I received my DAC-19 (10th Anv) - very good PCM1704 R-2R implementation - less than a month ago and I was just listening to The Steve Miller Band. The CD rip I have is very good with regard to dynamic range and it's generally a well produced album. Now, while listening I felt that the initial magic was somehow not there. I switched inputs to the Oppo HA-1 (Sabre ESS9018 32 reference DAC - well implemented) and listened to the same track that was currently playing. After the switch I was immediately able to tell the difference.

The Oppo was so very much more flat, one note, and generally didn't give a sense of any of the subtleties in the track (compared directly with the DAC-19). The highs were mashed together, no differentiation between the multitude of textures you get from real instruments. I switched back to the DAC-19 and everything immediately felt right again, felt real, even though previously I felt like I was missing something. I think that generally what I was missing is the euphonic sense of 'Aaahhhhh, there's the difference' that I heard when I first received the DAC-19. Like anything that us humans use we get accustomed to the new standard and it doesn't feel as special anymore..... that is until you're reminded of how special it really is. I think the DAC-19 is pretty special, especially at its price.

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:23 AM Post #764 of 1,962
Could someone please explain the options to me?
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DAC1911/DAC19EN_Custom.htm

1. Does it come standard with RCA outputs or do they need to be added? Never heard of ACSS.
2. Not needed. I need USB.
3. What is that?
4. What is that?

Sep 17, 2015 at 9:27 AM Post #765 of 1,962
  Could someone please explain the options to me?
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/dac/DAC1911/DAC19EN_Custom.htm

1. Does it come standard with RCA outputs or do they need to be added? Never heard of ACSS.
2. Not needed. I need USB.
3. What is that?
4. What is that?

1. ACSS is only for if you are pairing with a Audio-GD amp. You can take that option or leave it, you will still have at least one pair of RCA L and R outputs and most folks do not need a second set.
2. You seem to understand this one
3. I believe this is the input clock on the USB board, upgrading it would give better results, as noted on the page
4. Using an entirely different board from the one you can upgrade in option #3 will cost more but give more supported sampling rates

Users who are viewing this thread

Back