New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Oct 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #16 of 455
Yep, looks like an improvement on the leather 3 headband. So uncomfy after a couple of hours, the old 2.1 foam was far comfier. 

The 2.1 band is much comfier but that foam would soak up dirt and oil and become all gross and yucky.. (after a while it would grow tentacles and crawl away :p )

Oct 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM Post #19 of 455
The 2.1 band is much comfier but that foam would soak up dirt and oil and become all gross and yucky.. (after a while it would grow tentacles and crawl away :p )

but I find the tentacles make the sound so much more alive & vibrant!!! While the sound becomes a bit more aggressive with the tentacle mod, I appreciate the increased accuracy of the attack and fullness of the body. Very liquid and a bit on the wet side. Highly recommended overall :wink:

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:28 PM Post #20 of 455
But but but - the headband. I hate those kind. I hope to god they change it. That split in 2 design is rotten!!!!!!! Urgh. Annoying. I don't like the way Hifiman have gone that way as well. I'll bet the HE7 will take on the new design like they have in the 560. Does the headband have to be like that. I would prefer the old design even if it meant discomfort. 

Oct 14, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #21 of 455
  But but but - the headband. I hate those kind. I hope to god they change it. That split in 2 design is rotten!!!!!!! Urgh. Annoying. I don't like the way Hifiman have gone that way as well. I'll bet the HE7 will take on the new design like they have in the 560. Does the headband have to be like that. I would prefer the old design even if it meant discomfort. 

Suspension style headbands are the king of comfy!  Why would you prefer the lumpy bumpy leather headband that leaves a painful sore on the top of your head?

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #22 of 455
  Suspension style headbands are the king of comfy!  Why would you prefer the lumpy bumpy leather headband that leaves a painful sore on the top of your head?

Because it doesn't look like ****! I'd rather the pain honestly. 

There has to be a way of making a nicer more comfortable headband

Oct 14, 2014 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 455
It's certainly an interesting looking endeavor, especially if the 1.2kohm is accurate.  I wonder what kind of release time frame we're looking at.

Oct 14, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #24 of 455

have you guys ever noticed that suspension style headphones tend to be airier and have less weight to the bass compared to non-suspension style??

Examples would be the suspension Q701 vs the non-suspension K550, suspension HE-400i vs the non-suspension old HE-400.

Cowencidence?? I think not!!!!

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:03 AM Post #25 of 455
1200 Ohms, it will be nice to see how this pairs with the current TOTL SS / low output impedance amps

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:54 AM Post #27 of 455
  1200 Ohm??

In case no one has done the calculations yet, this one will be able to run directly off the speaker terminals of a 100W/ch integrated amp without blowing up!

The only problem is that if it actually turns out to be a 1200 Ohm headphone, it would require a 100W amp!!
eek.gif

Most likely a typo.

Oct 15, 2014 at 2:56 AM Post #28 of 455
They did the 1200 ohms for a reason, and it is no typo.  Even if it has this high impedance, from what I have heard, they will be very very efficient. So I wouldn't worry that much. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 3:17 AM Post #30 of 455
  Anything about the weight? I hope it's not 1200 grams. :p

haha I hope not.  I'd imagine they'd be pretty similar to the LCD -X only variation would be the headband (which doesn't look to save much weight over the old one) and the drivers.  Hopefully they do make more changes, I'm not a huge fan of carbon fiber but they might as well go all out with it if the speculated prices are anywhere near accurate. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back