New Audeze "Prototype-Z"!
Oct 15, 2014 at 3:50 AM Post #32 of 455
Actually 1200 ohms would be perfect for OTL tube amps.

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #33 of 455
Oct 15, 2014 at 4:29 AM Post #34 of 455
Subbed!

Keen to hear more on these. I wonder if anyone had a chance to listen to them?

Oct 15, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #35 of 455
wait a minute, it was only shown, or you could actually listen to it too??
I'm awaiting some initial impressions
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 15, 2014 at 6:50 AM Post #37 of 455
I have  been at canjam for 3 days.I had the chance to listen to the LCD-Z for about 45 minutes (courtesy of Alex Audeze Ceo) and my first impression is 
that this prototype requires a lot of power to be properly driven.The main differences between this and the normal LCD-X(which i own) are a bigger soundstage
and a little bit of more depth in bass frequencies.I don't know if this prototype will be put officialy on sale.
According to Alex there have been also some modifications to the driver.
Let's wait and see.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:13 AM Post #38 of 455
  I have  been at canjam for 3 days.I had the chance to listen to the LCD-Z for about 45 minutes (courtesy of Alex Audeze Ceo) and my first impression is 
that this prototype requires a lot of power to be properly driven.The main differences between this and the normal LCD-X(which i own) are a bigger soundstage
and a little bit of more depth in bass frequencies.I don't know if this prototype will be put officialy on sale.
Let's wait and see.

Damn, I was expecting it to be in another league completely. I thought this may be the next generation from Audeze.

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:22 AM Post #39 of 455
  Damn, I was expecting it to be in another league completely. I thought this may be the next generation from Audeze.

I really hope that they release an sub 1000 dollar closed headphone. I would be really interested in that. 

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:34 AM Post #40 of 455
I am hoping for LCD-4, something to beat Abyss and SR-009, or at least to be in the same league :D

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:44 AM Post #41 of 455
  I am hoping for LCD-4, something to beat Abyss and SR-009, or at least to be in the same league :D

If they can do all that for around 2000 - 2500 I would probably jump on board and buy it

Oct 15, 2014 at 7:51 AM Post #42 of 455
Very interesting. This suggests a totally redesigned driver with more modern engineering (which Audeze seems to be great at implementing).

A 1200 ohm headphone wouldn't be totally unheard of, many in the past had extreme impedance like that (such as vintage HD414 models). It certainly wouldn't require a speaker amp, in fact a speaker amp likely wouldn't power it well at all... most speakers are usually low impedance (almost all below 12 ohms nominal, usually 4-8 ohms nominal in their curves) and are mostly powered by high current. That is why people like to power the HE-6 off of speakers amps, the low sensitivity works well with the high current designs.

On another note, I wonder how this will compare to other TOTL planars and what it will cost. I hope it's in the range of $1K-2K.

Oct 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #43 of 455
Let's wait and see.
Considering they took the time to make patents I'm sure they'll implement this technology into a future headphone, maybe this specific prototype won't be released though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back