New Audeze LCD3
Jun 2, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #5,881 of 11,521
Quote:
so if I ordered a lcd3 from audeze today, would it be the "good" version?

My LCD3 was repaired and returned to me last week.  I believe that they not only replaced the faulty driver (my left side driver failed) but updated the headphones to the latest production level.  If my repaired LCD3 represents the current production, then you won't be disappointed.   I'm listening to my LCD3s tonight driven by my DarkStar/PSA PWD MKII and I'm amazed at how much better it sounds compared to before the repair.  Soundstage, imaging, detail retreival, bass attack, and dynamics are all first rate.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #5,882 of 11,521
Gentlemen, I just got my JH Audio 16 today and I am astounded by the sound these IEM's can produce off my iPhone's headphone out.

The bass is definitely overpowering and since I am still waiting for the custom JH3 DAC/Amp to complement the IEMs I have the best yet to come.

I had to go back to my LCD-3 / Cavalli Liquid Fire setup to compare and I have to say that I'm afraid the JH may equal the sound once I get their DAP.

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #5,883 of 11,521
If we talk about how good something sounds, the custom IEMs do an amazing job. They are nowhere as detailed as my SR009 or as engaging in bass as my LCD3 (especially pre-RMA), nor do they have any soundstage to speak of at all compared with my speakers rig, but the tonality they offer is very good and make themselves a very good investment for the price. The setup is simple too - straight out from a reasonably sophisticated smartphone with a decent DAC chip, the sound is not that bad at all, whereas for speakers, it takes ages to position the speakers properly and get the tonality you like by mix and match of components. Since I have been setting up my home theatre and speakers rig for the past two months, my Liquid Fire and LCD3 have been collecting dust, but whenever I go out I would bring my ES5 with me (except when I drive). However, I hooked up the LCD3 rig again today - and am very satisfied with what it has to offer at this price range.  

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:38 AM Post #5,884 of 11,521
Quote:
Gentlemen, I just got my JH Audio 16 today and I am astounded by the sound these IEM's can produce off my iPhone's headphone out.
The bass is definitely overpowering and since I am still waiting for the custom JH3 DAC/Amp to complement the IEMs I have the best yet to come.
I had to go back to my LCD-3 / Cavalli Liquid Fire setup to compare and I have to say that I'm afraid the JH may equal the sound once I get their DAP.

Hmm, you're making me want to pick up a pair of customs more and more. Still thinking if I should wait for the new Ultimate Ears one though.

Jun 2, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #5,885 of 11,521
Quote:
If we talk about how good something sounds, the custom IEMs do an amazing job. They are nowhere as detailed as my SR009 or as engaging in bass as my LCD3 (especially pre-RMA), nor do they have any soundstage to speak of at all compared with my speakers rig, but the tonality they offer is very good and make themselves a very good investment for the price. The setup is simple too - straight out from a reasonably sophisticated smartphone with a decent DAC chip, the sound is not that bad at all, whereas for speakers, it takes ages to position the speakers properly and get the tonality you like by mix and match of components. Since I have been setting up my home theatre and speakers rig for the past two months, my Liquid Fire and LCD3 have been collecting dust, but whenever I go out I would bring my ES5 with me (except when I drive). However, I hooked up the LCD3 rig again today - and am very satisfied with what it has to offer at this price range.  

Hey, what speakers are you using? I actually find that the LCD-3 headphones outperform my Usher's in several ways, much to my chargrin since I had always insisted that speakers were the way to go.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #5,886 of 11,521
Quote:

Hey, what speakers are you using? I actually find that the LCD-3 headphones outperform my Usher's in several ways, much to my chargrin since I had always insisted that speakers were the way to go.

Dynaudio Confidence C4

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #5,888 of 11,521
Quote:
Some people reported a 'veil' in the mid-range.  This is considered the 'bad version', I suppose.

Here's my mini LCD3 review off the top of my head after extended listening this week:

LCD3 "veiling" and highs in general:

There is no veil, none, nada, not with Pinnacle or B52 (a warm amp). Just fine phones, period, on the level of 009s, HD800s, even R10s IMHO (I'm a former owner of R10s).
They are just not sharp-edged or super-analytic sounding, which some phones can pull off sort of, like the HD800s, and some phone try and sound fatiguing (HE6s, which I sold, but full-disclosure never used a speaker-amp for them, as was recommended,
so don't take this as a condemnation of the HE6s, as I didn't give them what I guess they needed as it was too inconvenient for me). Highs are sweet and extended and liquid, not brittle or tinny or piercing.

LCD3 Bass:

And wait until you hear the bass on the LCD3s. There is something uniquely satisfying and BIG but not overwhelming about the bass. I hate boomy, pushy bass (like PS1000s and JVC 1000s did, and even Denon D7000s sometimes),
but the LCD3s have big but natural bass that makes a great foundation to the music and transcends the headphone vs. speaker divide better than any headphone for me.
I was listening to piano on them and kept thinking, gee, this sounds like a full-size piano somehow, with deep impact and harmonics, but without uncontrolled bloat down low, as I heard on the PS1000s and other phones with lesser-quality bass.
There is none of that woozy sound or unnatural looseness I heard in the bass and lower mids with a number of other phones.

LCD3 Mids:

And they have nice density in the mids (like vocals) that is just right, with nice saturation of images that preserves the detail but is not bloated or thick.
I kind of go back and forth with the LCD3s and SR009s and can't decide which I like better.
On some bad CDs (or even certain tracks) there is a trace of glare in the upper mids, but I now conclude this is just them revealing the truth of the particular recording. It is not frequent and even when it occurs, is not too bad or painful, just noticeable.

LCD3 Break-in:

I found break in for Audezes takes about 40 hours (rough estimates; I have not been measuring carefully, but this is since I had mine RMAd about 3 months ago).
Break-in helps a lot with imaging, which is now very good (it was a little flat at first), with nice depth and micro-placement of images in front and back of each other,
and left-right emphasis on a recording is still natural, not collapsed to one side or the other. And the aforementioned glare is a lot less than when they were new,
and I'm hoping this glare will further dissipate with more break-in.

LCD3 Cabling: Mine are balanced with Moon Black Dragon V2 with Furutech Rhodium XLR connectors, as recommended by Drew of Moon Audio. This cable also helped make the highs sweeter and helped significantly with
the glare I mentioned.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5,889 of 11,521
Quote:
My LCD3 was repaired and returned to me last week.  I believe that they not only replaced the faulty driver (my left side driver failed) but updated the headphones to the latest production level.  If my repaired LCD3 represents the current production, then you won't be disappointed.   I'm listening to my LCD3s tonight driven by my DarkStar/PSA PWD MKII and I'm amazed at how much better it sounds compared to before the repair.  Soundstage, imaging, detail retreival, bass attack, and dynamics are all first rate.

i see you have a darkstar AND a liquid fire, which ones better for the lcd3? steve guttenburg claims the darkstar is best for lcd3

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #5,890 of 11,521
i see you have a darkstar AND a liquid fire, which ones better for the lcd3? steve guttenburg claims the darkstar is best for lcd3

I owned both, and the quality was quite similar, but i ultimately preferred the darkstar with orthos. Sold the LF.

Jun 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM Post #5,892 of 11,521
Well I was really surprised at the sound quality and levels specially just coming out of the iPhone with no external DAC or amplifier.

I am still waiting for JH to ship me their JH-3A DSP and Amp that is custom made for the JH 16 as it was the main selling point for me when I was deciding between the different custom IEM's

Jun 2, 2012 at 9:37 PM Post #5,893 of 11,521
Quote:

I slightly prefer the DarkStar driving the LCD3 but its very close.  I could easily live with either one. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 4:26 AM Post #5,894 of 11,521
Quote:
 and kept my B22.

GOOD CHOICE!
biggrin.gif

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:26 AM Post #5,895 of 11,521
I was less than impressed by the B22 when I heard one (maxxed). It sounded great but next to an LF it just didn't do it for me.

Different strokes and all that though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back