New Audeze LCD3
May 30, 2012 at 11:51 PM Post #5,866 of 11,521
Quote:

Nope, just headphones. :)

http://www.head-fi.org/t/612250/comparing-some-of-the-finest-headphones-sennheiser-hd-600-hd-700-hd-800-hd-25-1-and-amperior-audio-technicas-ath-m50s-and-audezes-lcd-2-rev-2-and-lcd-3#post_8419930

Sweet write up dude. Thanks!

May 31, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,867 of 11,521
Quote:
Funny, I have exactly what you have, black dragons and all on both phones, and think the sonics are very different, but equally satisfying and valid. The Lcd3s having very deep but not bloated or lumpy bass, larger images, smoother sounding.
Whereas the HD800s are sharper and will show some roughness if the recording has it, but in better recordings has a finer and uncanny texture with lots of little tiny sounds from vocals and instruments
and recording techniques that is great fun. I need both. I love listening to a favorite CD on the 800s and then the LCD3s, like hearing 2 different performances or interpretations.

I think "very different but equally satisfying and valid" was pretty much was I was trying to get across (but might not have). I don't think they necessarily sound alike, but in terms of the subjective measurables we throw around here -- focus, transparency, detail retrieval, etc. -- I don't think there's a clear winner and a clear loser among the two headphones.

May 31, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #5,868 of 11,521
Quote:

What's your normal speaker set-up? Sometimes I prefer listening with my Emotiva 4s over headphones and sometimes I enjoy using the LCD-3s and Stax instead. I'm in two minds about this, but some of that has to do with the ribbon tweeters in the Emotivas and that I'm using them in near field.

The Emotivas are studio monitors right? I believe I read an article by Steve Gutteberg on CNET about them. I'm currently using the Usher BE-20 floorstanders. They're full range towers and are good at accurately portraying music's dynamic swings as well as creating a bid soundstage. I agree that speakers do indeed do scale and soundstaging better and theres now way I would ever give up my Usher's for headphones purely. I was however extremely impressed that a Cavalli liquid fire driving a pair of LCD-3s just easily out detailed my system which cost close to 10 times the price for the speakers and amplification. (Boulder 800 series) I also really liked the way the LCD-3s handled the dynamic swings of music and reproduced instruments with similar timbre to my speaker rig. 

May 31, 2012 at 12:11 PM Post #5,869 of 11,521
Never heard Emotivas but 'very happy with Quad powered desktop monitors (first 9Ls, now 12Ls, both great).
The Quads just make me stop thinking they are speakers, and just sound like an evenhanded natural presentation of what's fed into them. Driverless sound even extreme nearfield, non boomy "just there when needed" bass, no sharpness.
Better than  the Swan desktops I have.
I just run the Quads out of the soundcard on my computer, no external DAC.

May 31, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #5,870 of 11,521
Just got my LCD-3 this evening and... Audeze PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE use the LCD-3 foam on everything!  I threw my pillow out, no joke, sleeping on my LCD-3 tonight :wink:

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #5,871 of 11,521
Quote:
Never heard Emotivas but 'very happy with Quad powered desktop monitors (first 9Ls, now 12Ls, both great).
The Quads just make me stop thinking they are speakers, and just sound like an evenhanded natural presentation of what's fed into them. Driverless sound even extreme nearfield, non boomy "just there when needed" bass, no sharpness.
Better than  the Swan desktops I have.
I just run the Quads out of the soundcard on my computer, no external DAC.

That sounds good. Quad speakers are very good. I'm currently pondering whether to get a pair of studio monitors and start producing/mixing some music. In my auditions of monitors so far, they are pretty darn good at just getting out of the way of the music but I find they still don't do scale anywhere near full floorstanding speakers.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:34 AM Post #5,872 of 11,521
Quote:
Just got my LCD-3 this evening and... Audeze PLEASE OH GOD PLEASE use the LCD-3 foam on everything!  I threw my pillow out, no joke, sleeping on my LCD-3 tonight :wink:

Should drop Audez'e an email and ask them to start selling pillows with their molded foam underneath sheepskin leather. Say 300 a pillow?

Jun 1, 2012 at 8:21 AM Post #5,873 of 11,521
Hello LCD peeps,

Here in the UK finding good places to demo cans is a tricky business. But! I'm bowled over in finding Decent Audio in the UK have a LCD3 loaner pair which there's a short waiting list for, to try on my WA5.

I currently own PS1000, HD800 and K1000 and based on what I've read  I have a feeling that the LCD3 will be displacing the PS1000 from my inventory. But will see when I get the chance to A & B them.

About a 2 week wait, already getting twitchy feet!

Jun 1, 2012 at 9:06 AM Post #5,874 of 11,521
i´m waiting for your review
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Jun 1, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #5,875 of 11,521
Quote:

Personally, I'd put the LCD-3 at about 98% detail retrieval, and the HD800 at about 102%.

My LCD3s were repaired (drivers changed and the material covering the drivers was changed) and returned to me last week.  The sound change in my repaired LCD3 was very significant.  Before the repair, they were definitely on the forgiving side of things.  Now after the repair, I consider them as being ruthlessly revealing of the recording quality, more so than my HE6 or from memory HD800 (now sold).  After the repair, I hear much greater soundstage depth and width and images are much sharper in focus.  Before the LCD3 repair, I preferred my HE6 but now I prefer the 3s.  I consider the detail retrieval of my LCD3 to be topped only by my SR009 and not by much.

Jun 1, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #5,876 of 11,521
As strange as it might be; I also rank the LCD-3 more picky on the recordings than the HE-6. They both retreive detauls crazy good, but the Audeze us a tad more picky on the recordings played. That does not mean you can't enjoy less quality recordings with the LCD-3 - but they shine and show their true colour if your upstream equipment / music is up to the task.

I always thought the HE-6 was the headphone that benefited most from higher quality recordings / music, but no; LCD-3 now (unfortunately) assigned the HE-6 to the 2nd place in terms of "scaling".

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:26 PM Post #5,877 of 11,521
Quote:
I ordered a pair of Mullard CV2492's last night after talking to MH, so we'll see how that works out.  I also ordered a W4S DAC2 today since I'm pretty sure my Buson DAC (god, why did I even buy this thing? ******* 6moons :/ ) is holding my system back more than anything. 

As for the LCD3, I'll probably end up ordering it sometime next week after mailing Audez'e and confirming that I'll get the good version.  I'm thoroughly enjoying my LCD2/LYR combo right now, but it's also making me curious as to how much better things can get. 

what do you mean "good version" theres only one lcd3 right?

Jun 1, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #5,878 of 11,521
Quote:
what do you mean "good version" theres only one lcd3 right?

Some people reported a 'veil' in the mid-range.  This is considered the 'bad version', I suppose.

Jun 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #5,880 of 11,521
Quote:
so if I ordered a lcd3 from audeze today, would it be the "good" version?

Judging by other people's experiences, that seems likely.  I myself don't have the fortune (or $2000) to be an LCD-3 owner, but those who have had the veiled pair described it as a layer of plastic over the upper mids.  But if your headphones sound right to you, that's what counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back