New Audeze LCD3
May 26, 2012 at 6:57 AM Post #5,838 of 11,521
keep LCD3 and buy a HE6, two planars to rule them all.

May 26, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #5,839 of 11,521
MorbidToaster and Maverickronin - yes,well described.  The T1 has a very noticable "wonkier spike" or "supernova" around 8-9 KHz.  It often come across as sibilance on my set-up.  My equalizer tames it very well, but I hate to add another component between my source and amp.

May 26, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #5,840 of 11,521
Quote:
Or alternatively, how about selling all 3 and getting say a grado or edition 8 for portable?

Oh yes.  Did I mention some family member think I have too many headphones.  I am keeping my grado and edition 8 for portable.  I use my Grado RS2i at work since it works well at low volume and with a poor source, i.e., HP computer.  I use my Edition 8 in my bedroom because it lets me crank up the volume without disturbing my wife.  Waking my wife from sleep with music from one of my "too many headphones" would be a bad move, very bad in so many ways. 

May 26, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #5,841 of 11,521
Quote:
keep LCD3 and buy a HE6, two planars to rule them all.

I had an HE6 but I sold it.  Great headphone but I had amp problems.  My b22 would not drive it to its full potential.  The HE6 worked pretty well with my Marantz speaker output, but the Marantz is a home theater and the sound quality is just so so.  Plus, switching headphones was a bitch because my DAC always seemed to be connected to the wrong amp.

May 26, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #5,842 of 11,521
I would keep the HD800 as other have said. Now that I got my SR-009 I am thinking in reducing my collection since they don't get much headtime but I am keeping the HD800, HE-6 and W3000ANV. Most likely I will sell my DX1000 and for sure the T1 and D7000. I also might buy the new Fostex.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 26, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #5,843 of 11,521
Oh yes.  Did I mention some family member think I have too many headphones.  I am keeping my grado and edition 8 for portable.  I use my Grado RS2i at work since it works well at low volume and with a poor source, i.e., HP computer.  I use my Edition 8 in my bedroom because it lets me crank up the volume without disturbing my wife.  Waking my wife from sleep with music from one of my "too many headphones" would be a bad move, very bad in so many ways. 

Wow, you really do have a lot of headphones. In that case, I'd probably keep the HD-800s

May 26, 2012 at 11:13 PM Post #5,844 of 11,521
Quote:
I would keep the HD800 as other have said. Now that I got my SR-009 I am thinking in reducing my collection since they don't get much headtime but I am keeping the HD800, HE-6 and W3000ANV. Most likely I will sell my DX1000 and for sure the T1 and D7000. I also might buy the new Fostex.

To me, the perfect collection would be : HD800 (staging, openness, perspective, imaging, intense dense texture, detail, comfort), SR009 (also fine detail, insight, speed, in-the-studio sound, resonance, amazing piano), and TH-900 (balance of all factors, friendly satisfying bass, relaxing with sweet extended highs, light physical weight, solid-state friendly). My feeling is that all of these are absolutely worth having for their own individual strengths, and I would be fine never having any others.
Maybe toss in LCD3s for a profound sound, also a great phone (but slightly vulnerable to digital glare if present, just slightly, and not present in well recorded music).

HE-6? Fatiguing treble for me (sold).
DX1000? Pumped-up abusive bass (sold).
T1 ? Uneven, with some annoying upper mid brightness and glare.
D7000 ? Pretty good, slightly pushy bass sometimes, slightly piercing highs other times, poor cousin to the TH900s.
Hope you don't mind my unsolicited purely personal oversimplified opinions. Thanks for reading.

May 27, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #5,845 of 11,521
Quote:
Hope you don't mind my unsolicited purely personal oversimplified opinions. Thanks for reading.

I don't mind, in fact, I appreciate them. It's why I read these threads. Thank you for your input
normal_smile%20.gif

May 27, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #5,847 of 11,521
Thanks, and I have to revise my comments on the LCD3s, now that I got balanced cables for them (Moon Black Dragons/ Furutech Rhodium connectors).

No more glare, or "glassy" mids, almost (not quite) HD800-like image placement (one instrument or vocal clearly in front or back of another, reminiscent of R10s I heard),
not the last word in detail, but in a way that I don't care, as there is just the right amount of detail to make everything believable.

The LCD3s are not an electron microscope on things,
but still, things sound very right and I don't feel I'm missing anything when I listen hard and concentrate strongly and even listen critically. 
So I rate them overall, in balanced mode, as good as the others overall (009s, HD800s, TH900s).

I did some long listening last night to the Beach Boys, a Petula Clark SACD, and some Beatles (Let It Be) and felt I couldn't stop listening, 
and that's the ultimate acid test for me. While the other phones dig a little deeper into texture, it somehow doesn't seem all that necessary with the LCD3s.
(The detail is maybe 85-90% of the HD800s.)

Balancing makes a significant difference, making them not at all clinical, with not a trace of siren-like sound even on sustained high-pitched vocals on regular CDs.
And balancing also improves the bass, adding control and removing a trace of looseness, so now the bass feels very right, and like I said earlier, makes the LCD3s 
sound full and profound, speaker-like, more than the other phones, which are more intimate.

You know, compared to a decade ago, my ears tell me we are entering into a golden age of headphones now (and headphone amps too).

May 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,848 of 11,521
^ nice comparison. 

Just listening to the loaner LCD-3 I have again now and though it's not the detail-retrieving microscope that the HD 800 is, the LCD-3 has its own kind of magic that is unmatched by any other headphone I've heard (with the exception of the Orpheus and R10 [I've not heard the 009]) in terms of delivering music with a warm - yet neutral - and very natural timbre. For me, I think the LCD-3 may just pip the HD 800 at the post as my headphone of choice.

Listening to Donald Fagan's The Nightfly now makes me want to spend the whole day with the LCD-3. 
o2smile.gif

May 28, 2012 at 9:38 AM Post #5,850 of 11,521
Quote:
I'd hand them back, 85-90% detail retrieval is god awful.

Nah,not for me. There's a difference between not-the-highest-detail-level and cloaked or masked.
If you've heard Harbeth speakers (I'm a former SHL5 owner), you might know what cloaked means, where I found myself leaning into the speakers for detail that just was not there (but I knew should be there because I was very familiar with the recording).
The LCD3s still show the truth, they just don't lay it bare like a super sharp lens, and there is such a thing as too much focus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back