New Audeze LCD3
Jan 27, 2012 at 11:55 PM Post #3,331 of 11,521
MH, in regards to the article: I am no expert in ortho designs but there's no audio signal passing in the magnets, or is there?

For an article trying to provide some physical explenation on the design, it's too bad if it's divulging erroneous information...

Jan 27, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #3,332 of 11,521

Quote:
MH, in regards to the article: I am no expert in ortho designs but there's no audio signal passing in the magnets, or is there?

For an article trying to provide some physical explenation on the design, it's too bad if it's divulging erroneous information...

I don't think it does either, unless you count the magnetic field moving the driver as the "audio signal" but seems like a stretch? The differences in thinner thickness of the driver and magnet quantity was interesting though.

Jan 28, 2012 at 1:51 AM Post #3,334 of 11,521
I would agree that the hd800 are finiky. Good article. Its nice to know what the actual differences are between the 2 and 3. Has anybody had a chance to tell if the lcd3 scale better with better equipment than the lcd2 did? Where is that k-01 when you need it?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 28, 2012 at 4:52 AM Post #3,335 of 11,521

Quote:
I would agree that the hd800 are finiky. Good article. Its nice to know what the actual differences are between the 2 and 3. Has anybody had a chance to tell if the lcd3 scale better with better equipment than the lcd2 did? Where is that k-01 when you need it?
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Absolutely 100%, the LCD-3 scale up up and up. I just managed to recently try them on my main rig's source, a Moon 750D dac and transport combo, going balanced to my littledot mk6+ and single ended to a woo wa5. The difference between that and say a Schiit Bifrost, Zodiac or Benchmark is amazing. The soundstage is phenomenal, almost speaker like holography and imaging. Furthermore, the detail easily surprasses my 802Ds.

Jan 28, 2012 at 6:44 AM Post #3,336 of 11,521

Quote:

Passing an audio signal through the magnets makes no sense so as usual, SG hasn't got a clue what he's going on about. 

Jan 29, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #3,337 of 11,521
He says the diaphragm is circular? I thought audeze's orthos were rectangular. 

Quote:
LoL..I like it...prima donna of headphones. It is certainly a bigger prima donna than the LCD-2s. The HD800s are another pair I would consider a prima donna.

FWIW, found this Steve Guttenberg review of the LCD-3s:

http://www.robbreport.com/Paid-Issue/Home-Electronics-Magnetic-Attraction

Some good information on the differences structurally between the LCD-2 and LCD-3 drivers.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #3,338 of 11,521
just reporting back here. lcd-3s have been running virtually nonstop 4 days now. mids have definitely opened up. still has room for improvement though. feels like volume is slightly unstable.

Jan 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #3,339 of 11,521

Quote:
Absolutely 100%, the LCD-3 scale up up and up. I just managed to recently try them on my main rig's source, a Moon 750D dac and transport combo, going balanced to my littledot mk6+ and single ended to a woo wa5. The difference between that and say a Schiit Bifrost, Zodiac or Benchmark is amazing. The soundstage is phenomenal, almost speaker like holography and imaging. Furthermore, the detail easily surprasses my 802Ds.

Will love to try the LCD-3 on the little dot mk6+. Sounds like good synergy going on there.

Jan 29, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #3,340 of 11,521
That article is a bit weird.  The drivers are clearly rectangular, they use bar magnets.  Unless there's a circular diaphragm inside the rectangular driver which seems doubtful since there'd be extra magnets on the corners not being used.  There's even a rectangular opening in the earpads.  And I thought I remembered Audeze saying it was just the diaphragm that was improved?  They said over and over again "all new diaphragm".  If it was a new magnet structure I'd think they would have advertised that.  And if they added 33% more magnets wouldn't that add a lot of weight to the headphone?  Unless they redesigned the frame, which it doesn't seem like they did.  Weird... 
confused_face.gif

Jan 29, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #3,341 of 11,521
Does anyone know if the LCD-3s are on display at any store in the NYC area?  I regret "upgrading" from a late model rev. 1 to an early model rev. 2 LCD-2, and now am debating whether to double-down on the LCD-3s (or revert back to the rev. 1s).  Once they've fixed the channel imbalance/driver issues, that is.  Thanks in advance.  

Jan 29, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #3,342 of 11,521
@ mwilson + rhythmdevils

A few pics to help you guys out:

Shot of the HE-6 driver assembly:

he-6_driver_2.jpg

Diagram of how a round diaphragm Yamaha ortho works, note the similarity in exterior appearance:

6e7a544d_Yamaha_Ortho.jpg

From headphones.com's LCD2 page:

Planar_diagram.png

For Comparison the square Fostex TR50 naked driver and assembly:

4517202697_1769828e23_b.jpg

4517203545_8b6d204353_b.jpg

4517838618_4ce717b847_b.jpg

Jan 29, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #3,343 of 11,521
All of this technical talk about the design of the LCD-3 is interesting, but way above my head.  I'll just offer some layman's thoughts.

I've now owned my LCD-3 for over 2 months--I ordered on the first day of the pre-order.  The reports of production variations and veiled/recessed midranges are definitely alarming, but I can't say whether my unit suffers from these problems.  I brought my unit to a meet in Virginia yesterday, and if anything, people seemed to think the midrange was one of its strengths (though we didn't have any other 3s to compare with).

I've definitely grown to enjoy my 3s more with time.  This is partly because, after a few weeks of bending the headband and stretching it over the arm of my couch, the clamping force is tolerable for at least 1-2 hours at a time.  It's still far from what I would call comfortable, and trying out the SR-007s yesterday reminded me just how lightweight headphones can be (and still sound amazing).

For whatever reason, I'm appreciating the LCD-3's sound more too.  There are some times when I'm not very impressed by or immersed in my listening session, but there are lots of variables--my mood, the quality of the recording, ambient noise, etc.  Overall though, the sound I'm getting feels very honest, realistic, and detailed enough that I don't see any immediate need to upgrade my source or amp.

Now I'm on an obsessive quest to find the best-recorded music I can.  My recent favorites:  the Living Stereo box set sounds consistently amazing, and the K2HD re-master of the Getz/Gilberto album is just stunning.  I had probably heard that album hundreds of times before, but hearing that re-master on the LCD-3s is like hearing it for the first time.  Getz's sax has never sounded so pure, immediate and real.

Jan 29, 2012 at 7:00 PM Post #3,345 of 11,521

Quote:
@ mwilson + rhythmdevils

A few pics to help you guys out:

I've seen all those before, and took a similar picture of the HE6 when it was in prototype stage. 
wink.gif
  What are you referring to specifically?  None of those pictures are of the LCD-3 driver and it doesn't make the article make any more sense to me...

The original T50 uses similar bar magnets and a circular diaphgram, but they taper the magnet length at the sides of the driver to make it "round".  If Audeze used a round diaphragm they would probably have done this, and the whole headphone would be a more normal size and the earpads wouldn't be face huggers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back