New Audeze LCD3
Jan 30, 2012 at 12:37 PM Post #3,361 of 11,521
Finally tried purrin's TP modded LCD3 again.  Much much better.  Though the clarity is still below the UERM, HD800, SA5000, 009 as a 'window' into the music.  I'd say more on par w/ the clarity of the HE500.  At least I can appreciate some improved driver technicalities over the LCD2 as I preferred the r2's (a good r2 btw) signature simply due to the distraction of that veil.  

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,362 of 11,521
Yes, I guess that's what I'm suggesting. While there are well-off people who care about accuracy, I'd go out on a limb suggesting that most of their readership would care more about status and price tags. I'm no more profiling than you are with the "you [head-fi members] can only dream of" remark below.

Quote:
so are you saying their readership would not  mind the report that SG did not being accurate. Why? Because they have money does not mean they would not care. My brother reads that and plays  in that league and trust me the accuracy report is important to him as he owns what I and most of you can only dream of in a 2 channel system over 350,000 in a dedicated room and he always did  not have money,

Jan 30, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,363 of 11,521

Quote:
Yes, I guess that's what I'm suggesting. While there are well-off people who care about accuracy, I'd go out on a limb suggesting that most of their readership would care more about status and price tags. I'm no more profiling than you are with the "you [head-fi members] can only dream of" remark below.

I suppose I would echo that some of the audience does not care about accuracy per se, though they are probably chuffed that their latest purchase has some facet of pseudo-science behind it. If they knew that most of what they are paying for circuit wise isn't really special or can be bought for less would they still spend as much? Most still do.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:34 PM Post #3,364 of 11,521
Just when I thought my replacement LCD-3s was the end of it all, I found out today that when I move my right driver by rotating slightly up and down or left and right, the sound cuts out intermittently, for a split second, but the sound does not cut out completely.  Seems like a loose connection in the driver.  Very disappointed at the QC.  It's a good thing Audez'e lengthened the warranty period to 3 years.  Hopefully the next replacement for my second set of LCD-3s will finally be rid of quality issues.  Notwithstanding the cutoff of the sound when I move the right driver, the headphones sound amazing with my LF.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #3,365 of 11,521

Quote:
Just when I thought my replacement LCD-3s was the end of it all, I found out today that when I move my right driver by rotating slightly up and down or left and right, the sound cuts out intermittently, for a split second, but the sound does not cut out completely.  Seems like a loose connection in the driver.  Very disappointed at the QC.  It's a good thing Audez'e lengthened the warranty period to 3 years.  Hopefully the next replacement for my second set of LCD-3s will finally be rid of quality issues.  Notwithstanding the cutoff of the sound when I move the right driver, the headphones sound amazing with my LF.

That's too bad. Are you sure that they cable is firmly connected? Try switching it to see if the issue follows the cable or the headphone driver.

At least, as you mentioned, there is a three year warranty and Audeze will take care of you.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #3,367 of 11,521

Quote:
So many failures for a 2K product.

LoL...by a BMW and you can see the failures you get for $50k +.
tongue.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:49 PM Post #3,370 of 11,521
Can't say that I do. Had the same one for 22 years and only had to replace one generator and one water pump.  It had over 380,000 miles on it when I sold it.  Didn't even change the oil over the last ten years, just added new oil when needed. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:51 PM Post #3,371 of 11,521

Quote:
That's too bad. Are you sure that they cable is firmly connected? Try switching it to see if the issue follows the cable or the headphone driver.

At least, as you mentioned, there is a three year warranty and Audeze will take care of you.

That's actually one of the first things I tried.  Cables were firmly connected.  I then made sure it wasn't the Q Audio cable -- I replaced my Q Audio cable with the stock cable and the same symptoms were exhibited.  I think I may just wait a month or so in case there were anymore initial defective batches still being used as replacement units...

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #3,372 of 11,521

Quote:
Can't say that I do. Had the same one for 22 years and only had to replace one generator and one water pump.  It had over 380,000 miles on it when I sold it.  Didn't even change the oil over the last ten years, just added new oil when needed. 
very_evil_smiley.gif

They definitely don't make 'em like that anymore!  

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,373 of 11,521
Quote:
So many failures for a 2K product.

Quite right.

MH, I don't follow, and I think that's downplaying it.  Using your analogy, the average consumer car would be about $15K for a four door sedan.  That makes the BMW maybe 3x the cost.  I would venture that the LCD-3 is 15x-20x the cost of the average consumer headphone at the high price of $100 per headphone.  So not that this analogy makes sense, but if we did bother to apply it, then it would be more comparable to a Ferrari or Buggati, or something similar.

The point is, it is unusual and a little alarming.  But they have their act together it seems, recognizing that fact with their press release and all.  I feel bad for the LCD-3 buyers.

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #3,374 of 11,521

Quote:
They definitely don't make 'em like that anymore!  

No they don't. I work with a few friends who own both BMWs and Mercedes...and I happen to know where all the dealers are around our plant...I end up driving them there quite often for "issues".

Jan 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #3,375 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:

Quite right.

MH, I don't follow, and I think that's downplaying it.  Using your analogy, the average consumer car would be about $15K for a four door sedan.  That makes the BMW maybe 3x the cost.  I would venture that the LCD-3 is 15x-20x the cost of the average consumer headphone at the high price of $100 per headphone.  So not that this analogy makes sense, but if we did bother to apply it, then it would be more comparable to a Ferrari or Buggati, or something similar.

The point is, it is unusual and a little alarming.  But they have their act together it seems, recognizing that fact with their press release and all.  I feel bad for the LCD-3 buyers.

? Not downplaying at all...it totally sucks. But today I happened to drive my friend for the third time to a BMW dealership to take care of his car (its only 2 months old). Just because something is expensive, doesn't mean it's bulletproof.

Hopefully Audeze gets a handle of these issues soon. I've had my LCD-3s since day 1, without issue. Looks like subsequent batches have had issues. But I'm pretty confident that Audeze will get it under control like they did with the LCD-2s. Unfortunately they had to go through the whole rigamarole twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back