New Audeze LCD3
Jan 18, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,196 of 11,521
no problem: lcd-3 rev.2 soon 
deadhorse.gif

and in the end of the year the new lcd-4(with dead driver, of course)
this problem is not only for the audeze...

Jan 18, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #3,197 of 11,521
Jan 18, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #3,198 of 11,521
With mine, It seems it might be a problem with the connector, they worked for a solid 2 hours yesterday, Baraka on Bluray with the Smyth realizer and the LCD-3 was just insane but then sound started to cut off again and then right driver stopped working again, disapointing

I has quite bad experience with the LCD-3 too. My first pair's right driver died on me after just 2 hrs. The second pair suffered the same fate but on the left driver. Luckily I have a dealer in my country and since the headphones were well within the 7 days 1 for 1 exchange, I got a third pair relatively soon.

The third pair has lasted more than a week already. Fingers crossed. Having said all that, the LCD-3 is one of the best sounding phones I have heard (based on my limited experience)

Just hope that Audeze can improve their QC process.

Jan 18, 2012 at 7:42 PM Post #3,199 of 11,521

Quote:
as well as soaking up on yield drop-outs. 

Oh, that's my theory about why the LCD3 costs $2K.  

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #3,200 of 11,521

Quote:

No doubt that's factored into the cost...but ideally the fallout should happen in the factory and not at the customer's home rig.

Jan 18, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #3,201 of 11,521

Quote:
No doubt that's factored into the cost...but ideally the fallout should happen in the factory and not at the customer's home rig.

Yes, that's two separate issues entirely.  No excuse for the latter especially considering the former.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:04 PM Post #3,202 of 11,521

Quote:
Now who is being naive. They should actually be getting better quality than Sennheiser because they are smaller and do not sell large numbers.

Frank I agree; even though all brands have had their issues, Audeze's faults look to be more serious. This many outright driver failures in their $2000 flagship headphones...I can't think of any other TOTL cans that had the same.

Jan 18, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,203 of 11,521

Quote:
Frank I agree; even though all brands have had their issues, Audeze's faults look to be more serious. This many outright driver failures in their $2000 flagship headphones...I can't think of any other TOTL cans that had the same.

The SR009 initial release of drivers blowing comes to mind, but NEITHER of these are acceptable in any way IMO.

Jan 19, 2012 at 2:44 AM Post #3,205 of 11,521
Quote:

Ok so I haven't been keeping track; how many dead-driver LCD-3s have been reported so far, and how many have been sold? FWIW, my LCD-3 has been working fine so far (knock on wood?) and I've been listening to it almost every day for the past 2+ weeks.

And as long as I'm posting about the LCD-3, now that I'm just a little over 2 weeks in, my opinion of it has slightly improved and I have to say it sounds dang good. I'd call it an easy-to-like headphone, mostly because of its mid-range and bass at the expense of treble, which makes it very "comfortable" sounding.

I'm actually sort of having second thoughts about selling it, as it's more of a contrast from my Audio-Technica AD2K than the LCD-2 r2 was. What can I say, the bass/mid-bass is pretty addictive - but it's not quite perfect either. If there was a headphone that combined the LCD-3's bass quantity with the AD2K's bass agility, now that would be really awesome. Heavy low bass that also hits really fast would really be something.
smile.gif

Jan 19, 2012 at 3:47 AM Post #3,206 of 11,521
Don't knock too hard on that zebrawood, you might break your LCD3s :wink:

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:37 AM Post #3,208 of 11,521

Quote:
The problem IMO is a product that was put on the market that was not ready as a finished product such as the first LCD2 rev1 when they kept making changes as new ones were being made. The LCD3 had falling drivers and people complaining that this product from headphone to headphone sound different and not slight differences from the graphs I have seen. it seems to me for this type of money spent and even on the LCD2 they should have less failure rate and be better matched drivers so it the same signature or maybe they like this trial and error way of sales but it makes little sense at this point to purchase these IMO with all these issues. It does seem to me at least from what I have been seeing this product was never a finished design or its just a common practice of Audeze to manufacture like this. Hopefully they get their act together.

So true Frank. It looks like the success Audeze enjoyed with the LCD-2 gave them the traction to guarantee a burst of sales with the LCD-3, and it is very possible that adequate investment has not been made in QC. I dare I say there may have been a slip in assurance policies knowing that a certain amount of positivity on sites like head-fi would garner a decent number of sales.  Let's hope they manage to rectify this ASAP, in the meantime the best those that spend this level of money can do is restrain the urge to purchase until the reputation for quality is rebuilt.

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,209 of 11,521

Quote:

One would have to know the manufacturing costs of the drivers to assess the validity of that statement. If the graphs that Audeze ship with their cans hold any weight (and god knows they should if Audeze are using them), someone needs to match up drivers a lot better. 

I was thinking of investing (I use that term loosely), in a set of Audeze cans, but until I feel more certain that Audeze pay due attention to every set of headphones that leaves their premises I won't be giving them my money. Not here to bash them mind, I love the fact that we have options in the marketplace to suit all needs. 

Jan 19, 2012 at 7:48 AM Post #3,210 of 11,521
QC issues are nothing new for Audez'e, really. The LCD-2 rev. 1 had its fair share. I had to keep mine in its box for nearly two months while Audez'e tried to sort out the issue of cracking adjustment blocks. Also there were cases of "bad sounding" LCD-2s that people sent back and exchanged for "better sounding" ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back