New Audeze LCD3
Jan 17, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #3,166 of 11,521
Jan 17, 2012 at 9:01 AM Post #3,167 of 11,521
I must say, for there to be so many recurrent issues with $2000 headphones is to me, slightly alarming. Besides the variations in sound based on sample, these dead driver woes are also slightly disconcerting. My personal opinion would be that such premium priced items should be completely void from any such issues and thoroughly tested and tweaked before leaving the manufacturing plant or process.

Quote:
Quote:
Received my pair today, right driver dead, not a sound, nice quality control Audeze.

Guess I have to wait another 2 weeks now
triportsad.gif

I also had the same result (dead right driver) with my LCD-3 order from ALO Audio, week before last. I'm expecting receipt of my replacement LCD-3's tomorrow...we'll see how my replacement LCD-3's are when I get them.

Jan 17, 2012 at 9:59 AM Post #3,168 of 11,521

Quote:
I must say, for there to be so many recurrent issues with $2000 headphones is to me, slightly alarming. Besides the variations in sound based on sample, these dead driver woes are also slightly disconcerting. My personal opinion would be that such premium priced items should be completely void from any such issues and thoroughly tested and tweaked before leaving the manufacturing plant or process.

unfortunately, history repeats itself.
i agree completely with you

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #3,169 of 11,521
For many people to essentially not care, I think one of the things this proves is, bass is addictive lol. Somewhere along the line, the elitists of the audiophile world decided that a focus on bass was something better left to the lower quadrants of the audiophile world. Instead, the higher tier elite products pushed articulation and detail, sneered at quantitive bass. More bass was fun, but ultimately not "reference" enough. 

Sennheiser, Beyer, Grado etc in their elite range, all push towards this more high frequency orientated imaging quest. And I guess Audeze did well because they in essence shunned away from that, and headed back in the direction of popular cans of old, especially the popular mid-fi one's such as the HD600/HD650. Going for a more dark tone with a lot of clout relying on bass quality.

Audiophiles mock the lower tier cans such as Bose, Monster, Skullcandy etc, for their poor sound and overt bass quantity (and obviously the extreme prices lol), but they don't realise that in many ways even the elite high spending audiophiles also share an innate preference that lends it's hand to bass. Bass is addictive. Bass is fun.

The early impressions and hype surrounding the Rev 1's are ample evidence of this. But now that Audeze have near perfected bass. My personal request would be for them to now perfect actual physical design, comfort, Q&A and, a personal sonic preference of mine, provide a wider soundstage to the cans. This in itself automatically lends to better imaging as separate sounds and instruments have more air around them to breath. It's the only aspect of Audeze's sonic design that I think needs a bit of tweaking. But who knows, maybe the bass is the reason for the lesser soundstage (compared to say the T1's or the HD800's). But I honestly feel that a re-design of the cups and driver angle etc, could help with this.

Jan 17, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #3,170 of 11,521
Ridiculous to have these issues occurring.  They need to get this under control if they want to move forward as a company.  When my LCD2.2 driver blew after owning it one month the communication was poor at best.

Jan 17, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,172 of 11,521

Quote:
CanDude, very interesting.  Thanks for posting that.  I think another head-fi-er put it best when he referred to my decision to buy an Audez'e as "playing the Audez'e lottery". 

I hate that about the HE-6, and have come across it one several pairs I've tried.  It also happened on my 5LEs from time to time.

Since I already have them with an aftermarket cable and not planning to change cables at all I went the hardwired way. It eliminated that problen, eliminated poor quality connectors and 2 soldering joints. IMO the sound got cleaner and better too.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Jan 17, 2012 at 1:52 PM Post #3,173 of 11,521
What is the estimated wait time on the LCD-3 these days? I bit puzzled that it is out of stock. Maybe Audeze sell more of the LCD-3 than (I) would expect(ed)

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #3,174 of 11,521
Circumstances would imply that they are a money driven machine. With the numerous QA issues with the LCD2, common sense would dictate that they would sit on and perfect the new flagship instead of rushing it to RMAF.

Priority #1 seems to be moving as many units as possible with QA and customer service as an after-thought. They get away with this because they are the only game in town.

Jan 17, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #3,175 of 11,521
Maybe they are not "out of stock" but re-assessing their production and Quality Control?

Quote:
What is the estimated wait time on the LCD-3 these days? I bit puzzled that it is out of stock. Maybe Audeze sell more of the LCD-3 than (I) would expect(ed)

Jan 17, 2012 at 3:49 PM Post #3,177 of 11,521

Quote:
I have a feeling that is not the case.
Audeze should make a statement... :/

that the issue here. Audeze rarely makes any statement. Never do they do it on any forum even though they are now a sponsor. they dont publish much data and no one has ever seen their facility. Those graphs and inconsistency would not be acceptable to most manufacturers and at that price point scare the hell out of me. 2K with a short warranty and lots people sending these back but those graphs I seen showed a significant difference.  Everything Audeze does has seen like it always trial and error and products are never complete. I saw this with the LCD2 Rev1 I had and many here seeing this again. I for one  have passed  on these because of these issues and the rerun of the LCD2.

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #3,179 of 11,521
I'm currently awaiting a replacement LCD3 to be shipped (one driver stopped) - here's what I was advised:

"Our new batch of LCD-3 headphones are being manufactured and tested with extreme caution. We will ship you new headphones as soon as we get them from quality control"

It's not clear whether the additional QA relates also to sonic variations reported by many here, or just physical production defects (such as driver audio cutting in and out)

Jan 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #3,180 of 11,521
I love the 2.2's I own but really want to try the 3's.  I have to believe HiFi Man is going to come out with a challenger to the 3.  Too soon to tell but Fang is pumping out new models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back