New Audeze LCD3
Jan 20, 2012 at 5:39 AM Post #3,226 of 11,521

Quote:
Hopefullly my LCD 2 rev.1 can still keep working for another 5 months before I get a pair of LCD 3 rev.2 :p

For someone like me who prefers their sound and wants to keep the rev. 1 for as long as possible, I gotta say, I sure hope it lasts at least 5 more months!

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:15 PM Post #3,228 of 11,521
I agree that's not the best service, but what does it have to do with QC?  AFAIK their QC is pretty good. 

A bit of follow up here. Reading the HE-400 preorder thread today just goes to show you where Hifiman is with QC. Fang is having customers pull their defective headphones apart to repair it themselves. Beta testing with real customers? By his account a minimum of 8 of 150 have dead drivers, and there may be more that have yet to report. Clearly both ortho companies have a long way to go with quality control.

Jan 20, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #3,229 of 11,521
It would be prudent to lock the QC issues at HiFiMAN down to the HE400's new production method / the facility. The other models (e.g. HE-6, HE-500) do not have known QC issues. It is easy to get carried away and generalize. Other than that; I agree fully to your post.

Jan 20, 2012 at 10:20 PM Post #3,230 of 11,521

Quote:
Quote:
Ridiculous to have these issues occurring.  They need to get this under control if they want to move forward as a company.  When my LCD2.2 driver blew after owning it one month the communication was poor at best.

confused_face.gif
  Makes me nervous, only 5 months left on my warranty.  

That's why I bought a three-year SquareTrade warranty. I am very jelly that the HE-500 has a longer warranty with a cheaper price.
frown.gif

Quote:
If you don't do something stupid like feeding excessive DC to the drivers or dropping the phones then they should last a long time.

I dropped mine the other day on carpet; the stock cable got caught on my chair's arms and fell off the stand from my desk onto the floor. They're fine and no big deal as I am getting a short cable for the best sound.

Quote:
These are some serious headphones.  I've had them for an hour now.  I can already say now that while they are the very best, they more revealing of bad recordings than the LCD2 (in the same vein as the HD800).  I can see these headphones seriously underperforming with bad gear.  

Have to say it is a picky headphone, reveals a lot bad recordings and makes certain record less enjoyable.

I would say sensitive to source but not bad. The LCD2 does mask a bit of details (compared to LCD3 and 009) so it makes bad recordings sound "better", but it is equalized by the fact that it does not sound as good as the 3 in good recordings and good source gear. Depends on whether you want to  get the best out of the best or just an above average sound for almost all recordings and source.

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif

See, Jazz at the Pawnshop was only one of the recordings I used. I too also used some pretty old and crappy Frank Sinatra, Tony Bennett and Louis Armstrong albums that have been with me for about 20 years. They were the recordings that helped me come to the conclusion that the LCD-2s were better at poor recordings as the LCD-3s revealed quite a bit more. Skylab (another Head-fier who's ears I trust) came to the exact conclusion as well in his review (though with different sub par recordings). 

The LCD-3s were better at extractting details with both world class and really bad recordings over the LCD-2 r2s.

I was wondering about this. With the LCD-2 Rev. 2, I listen to older recordings such as Frank Sinatra, Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Stones, Bob Dylan, & Kinks in mono. With these recordings...they sound, to me, as good as they are gonna sound, which is, really, not very good, but, it sounds as if the detail is being pushed to it's limit.

I was listening to other stuff like Led Zeppelin, Metallica, Pixies, Gin Blossoms...I was a bit underwhelmed with the production and I could hear how cruddy they sound compared to all the other stuff I have, and these were mostly all remastered recently. Granted, I have the stock cable still, but other stuff sounds amazing with these. With this detail, I can hear how production changed with the times. 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s...

How does the LCD-3 sound with those mono recordings or poor recordings in general? What flaws are they revealing and how is it affecting the sound? If they're bad, and if I do upgrade to the LCD-4 later (which would probably sound even worse with older songs), I may still keep the Rev. 2 for older stuff. Anyway, I was just wondering as I love this thread.
etysmile.gif

I must say that hearing about the problems with the different-sounding LCD-3s existing and the drivers being blown/unrepaired sucks big time. Here I am, blown away with the Rev. 2 and saved $4000 or so in my pocket by not getting the LCD-3 and it's pricey gear. Unlike many of you, my virgin ears find no flaws with the R.2 nor a small soundstage. I just sit back, immerse, and enjoy the music and heavy bass. Of course, they are my first $1000 headphone.
L3000.gif

PS: Why was googleli banned? Was it because he's annoying?
normal_smile%20.gif
tongue_smile.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:32 AM Post #3,232 of 11,521

Quote:
It would be prudent to lock the QC issues at HiFiMAN down to the HE400's new production method / the facility. The other models (e.g. HE-6, HE-500) do not have known QC issues. It is easy to get carried away and generalize. Other than that; I agree fully to your post.

HiFiMan has had QC problems from the get-go Their first headphone the HE-5 was, understandably, quite prone to issues (like cracking wood and failing drivers). The HE-5LE was definitely an improvement but issues still existed. The HE-6 that I own has issues with a faulty 1/4" plug that drops the signal to both channels often, and I've heard this occurs with others' cables as well. That's why I assumed the HE-400 had something similar happen when I read reports of one channel going out. I still suspect that's what's going on in some of the cases, but clearly others are experiencing internal wiring issues it seems.

Asking customers service their own headphones is frankly one of the most ridiculous things I've heard coming from a manufacturer if it's true. Knowing the lack of technical experience a lot of head-fiers have, they run the risk of doing even more damage to their headphones.

Edit: Just read the thread in question. Eh, not as bad as I imagined. Fang provides pictures and seems to be genuinely swamped with problems. Must be under a ton of stress. Still, I disagree with the post that said people were somehow "agreeing" to beta test these and service them by accepting a discounted pre-order price. That's nonsense. Hopefully these issues will be ironed out after the holidays fairly quickly.

Jan 21, 2012 at 9:33 AM Post #3,238 of 11,521

Quote:
Shhh! We're not supposed to discuss banned members. Just look back over some of his posts and you should see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuppetFace /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Discussing banned members isn't a good idea, guys. No one ever said anyone was actually banned for being annoying. The post in question was just joking.

Ohhh yes, it was just a joke; thus the winky faces.
evil_smiley.gif
I was just pointing out that he is so rich and has everything and wants us to buy it all too. The good life! Head-Fi's business is not my interest. Just a joke.  Hehe...
gs1000.gif

Back on topic. If someone could answer my question about the LCD-3 that would be great.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:00 AM Post #3,239 of 11,521
Quote:

Quote:

That's why I bought a three-year SquareTrade warranty. I am very jelly that the HE-500 has a longer warranty with a cheaper price.
frown.gif

Deverica, did you buy your LCD-2s from ebay?  Since my pair was originally bought from a dealer in Canada I don't think I can get the sq-trade warranty.  I'll definitely be writing Audez'e an email about it and ask if they have any "extended warranty" plan in the pipeline.  I see it as easy money for them ...provided of course they have confidence in their products.  

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:12 AM Post #3,240 of 11,521
You would not be able to because it must be within 3 months of purchase date. I bought mine from Woo Audio, but SquareTrade did in-fact just recently add the ability to purchase their coverage along with the product at eBay (like they do with other sites). As for Canada, depends on the dealer. From their website:

Quote:
Warranties are available directly from SquareTrade in the U.S. and U.K. only.
Warranties are available for purchase through select retail partners in Canada.
We currently do not offer warranties outside of these areas.

I DO hope Audeze adds an extended service. I paid $100 for the SquareTrade warranty, and it starts now, so it really is only two years because I deal with Audeze themselves within the 1st year. The problem is, if I do need repair, and they don't refund my money but actually fix it, the warranty loses value. If it breaks again, I must pitch-in some money for the repair. How much, I don't know. I would have got the Audeze service if they had offered it. Let's sign a petition!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back