New Audeze LCD3
Oct 7, 2015 at 11:39 AM Post #10,756 of 11,521
New purchase - Cables for my LCD-3! The original cables broke (both) so I had to replace them with a sturdier cable :) Got it from ebay, also a 4pin female to 1/4 plug extension cable so I can connect it to single ended amps aswell!

Oct 7, 2015 at 7:59 PM Post #10,757 of 11,521
Oct 14, 2015 at 5:44 AM Post #10,758 of 11,521
So I noticed today that I was getting lots of small microphonics coming out my LCDs. Most noticeable with my fazor LCD-3, least noticeable with my rev 2 LCD-2s. Oddly enough, nothing whatsoever with my HE-6s. What could be causing it to only show up in the Audezes and what can I do to fix it? My setup is PC > Lightspeed Attenuator > First Watt F1J > HPs. Thanks for any help.

Oct 14, 2015 at 8:16 AM Post #10,760 of 11,521
  So I've noticed that when I plug in with my LCD-3 to my speaker amp, I get some distortion in my right ear (this is while I have the volume on the computer all the way down... which I always do when switching out HPs to my speaker amp). It goes away the second I began to turn the volume up so it's a non-issue, but I just find it a bit strange... why only the LCD-3 and why the right ear? Doesn't occur with my LCD-2 or HE-6.

Problem is, it could be signs of imminent driver failure, or a symptom of issues with their cheap cable/connector. However, the forum's beaten these things half to death. Hopefully, you purchased directly from them, and can send it in for driver replacement if it comes down to it- but then you'll need to keep your fingers crossed that you get them sounding the same when the come back. "No two Audeze phones sound the same" is the general consensus. I've owned LCD-2s and LCD-3Cs, and utterly love them, so wishing you all the best.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:47 AM Post #10,762 of 11,521

Your pot stirring of the Audeze threads is getting a little old. You've already stated that you're going to purchase an HE1000 at some point - why the need to bash Audeze repeatedly as a non owner and as someone not interested in purchasing from them?

If you have something of substance to add, by all means post here. The popcorn icon, IMO, isn't adding any value.

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #10,763 of 11,521
I just got my LCD 3F back from Audeze repair about a week ago.  Basically three weeks ago I was listening to music and one channel completely went out.  I tested to make sure it was not the cable and of course it was not the cable.  So I sent the LCD 3's in for repair.  Last week they returned but they sounded different from what I remember.  The more I listened the more I was sure that they sounded more muffled and less clear then prior to the repairs.  I sent a email to Audeze asking them for a detail of what was performed.

The driver and the yokes had been replaced. Also they said that the frequency graphs of my particular pair of head phones had a 5K bump and was not up to spec.  They said that the repaired LCD 3 should be smoother and no longer have the 5K bump.  They included a graph and the new graph does show that the headphones no longer have a 5K bump.  But looking at the graph it shows that now  they have a dip in that area.  Anyway what they call smooth now I find it a bit more muffled sounding.   My LCD 3's did not sound 'overly dark' in the past now they certainly do sound darker.  I am hoping that continue breaking will alleviate the darkness.  Audeze did tell me that it will take at least 50 hours of the new drivers to break in (i'm hoping this to be the case).

I have to say that as a company I could not have expected more from their customer service.
Regardless of whether I like the way my repaired Audeze Headphones sound or not.... as a company they have been professional every step of the way. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #10,764 of 11,521
Your pot stirring of the Audeze threads is getting a little old. You've already stated that you're going to purchase an HE1000 at some point - why the need to bash Audeze repeatedly as a non owner and as someone not interested in purchasing from them?

If you have something of substance to add, by all means post here. The popcorn icon, IMO, isn't adding any value.

Well I am sorry. The subscription icon does not work for me so it is either this or the dots...
In fact, I am trying to gauge reliability issues of both HFM snd Audeze and as such I am interested in this thread :wink:
Also, I did listen to all the Audeze recently and was looking into purchasing them, so...
For me it was X > 2 > 3, but if there is sample variation as the above poster said, then that might explain it. The X waa certainly most even to my ears.
The weight and fit was more problematic though... So I'll lurk for now.
Anyway, sorry if my icon upset you, or my posts. That wasn't my intention :)
Enjoy your Audeze :beerchug:

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:02 AM Post #10,765 of 11,521
I traded my LCD-3Cs, which I loved dearly, for a non-audio related device. I was completely paranoid about having them go out on me as I had purchased them used. Since they were the classics, they would have been Fazored if they ever needed repairs, and Audez'e was charging a pretty penny for non-original owners. I heard the LCD-4s at RMAF, and I a tempted, but the mere cost vs. QC comparison completely devastates that desire.

Oct 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #10,766 of 11,521
  I just got my LCD 3F back from Audeze repair about a week ago.  Basically three weeks ago I was listening to music and one channel completely went out.  I tested to make sure it was not the cable and of course it was not the cable.  So I sent the LCD 3's in for repair.

If it has to happen something like this to me: I m in Italy..

Oct 14, 2015 at 2:51 PM Post #10,767 of 11,521
Just got my back from work and I thought I'd give an update on my 3's.

After closer inspection its clear that the ripped pad is an older pad than the one on the other driver - all I have to do is look at it and it squashes. I'm guessing t's from a replacement or return? 

The Zebrano wood is yellow?  Like it was on the older 3's. 

The right mini XLR is stuck in the headphone. I tried for a few minutes, came back and it's still stuck. Awesome.

They don't sound like the ones in the store. Way brighter. Like my x's (god bless them) but worse? Surreal.

I know many people say that Audeze's vary in sound but my god do they sound different. I thought people exaggerated it.

To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement. 

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #10,768 of 11,521
  Just got my back from work and I thought I'd give an update on my 3's.

After closer inspection its clear that the ripped pad is an older pad than the one on the other driver - all I have to do is look at it and it squashes. I'm guessing t's from a replacement or return? 

The Zebrano wood is yellow?  Like it was on the older 3's. 

The right mini XLR is stuck in the headphone. I tried for a few minutes, came back and it's still stuck. Awesome.

They don't sound like the ones in the store. Way brighter. Like my x's (god bless them) but worse? Surreal.

I know many people say that Audeze's vary in sound but my god do they sound different. I thought people exaggerated it.

To say I'm annoyed would be an understatement. 

Return it while you still can. Save your money for a different boutique headphones that deserves its price. Many of us have tried to work with Audeze products and their customer service. It will only lead to more frustration. Return it to your dealer before your return window expires.

I was one of the supporters of LCD-2r1 and it broke on me three times, twice the cups and once the drivers. And that's not even to mention the change in headbands and pads in later revisions. Since buying new headband and pads and getting the replacement cups, I just haven't felt the need to put it back together and have it fail again.

The EL-8 open I pre-ordered was an absolute disappointment, so it was returned.

My father's LCD-3C has two failed drivers and the pads initially came in the state you described.

I will never buy another Audeze product unless I can cherry pick from two dozen or so headphones of the same model.

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #10,769 of 11,521
  The driver and the yokes had been replaced. Also they said that the frequency graphs of my particular pair of head phones had a 5K bump and was not up to spec.  They said that the repaired LCD 3 should be smoother and no longer have the 5K bump.  They included a graph and the new graph does show that the headphones no longer have a 5K bump.  But looking at the graph it shows that now  they have a dip in that area.  

Interesting, thanks for sharing. Mine are in for repair as well and I don't think I would like a reduction in treble energy either. Could you share your two graphs? 

Here's mine pre-repair:

Oct 14, 2015 at 3:27 PM Post #10,770 of 11,521
I'm genuinely gutted and think I'll be going for the HEK. I returned the x's for the midrange because I believed it was bested by the 3's. I got greedy and think that I made a mistake. Like I said the 3's in the store were genuinely different and just lovely.

I'm sorry to those that read my crying messages. But, as Richard Gere once said. I got no place else to go:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back