New Audeze LCD3
Apr 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #9,016 of 11,521
Interesting, I had not previously heard the LCD-2 & LCD-3 are now more effficient, but I just noticed the they are both now rated as listed here on Audeze's website:

•Efficiency: 94dB SPL / 1mW

Am I mistaken, or were they previously rated at 91dB SPL / 1mW Efficiency ?

Does this have something to do with the Fazor's making them easier to drive? If so, I guess they are closer to the LCD-X now in ability to be driven more efficiently by portable headphone amps? Anyone have any more info. on this or am I mistaken with their previous efficiency ratings.

I also remember them being like this    LCD-2 = 90dB SPL/1mW   LCD-3 = 91dB SPL/1mW

Apr 27, 2014 at 2:51 PM Post #9,017 of 11,521
The impedance listed on the Audeze site is also different between LCD-3s.

Now, with the Fazor, it is 110 ohm. It previously was listed as either 45 or later 50 ohm.

Also the listed diaphragm excursion has been restricted from 2.5mm to 1.5mm with Fazor.

Despite being told earlier that they were the same, Audeze appears to be using a new and different diaphragm/driver with the LCD-3 Fazor from earlier ones.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #9,018 of 11,521
Interesting, I had not previously heard the LCD-2 & LCD-3 are now more effficient, but I just noticed the they are both now rated as listed here on Audeze's website:

•Efficiency: 94dB SPL / 1mW

I'm not a human SPL meter, but I'm thinking this has to be a mistake of some sort. My LCD-XC and LCD-3 (Serial 271X) purchased end of March 2014 seem noticeably different in terms of efficiency.

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #9,019 of 11,521
The impedance listed on the Audeze site is also different between LCD-3s.

Now, with the Fazor, it is 110 ohm. It previously was listed as either 45 or later 50 ohm.

Also the listed diaphragm excursion has been restricted from 2.5mm to 1.5mm with Fazor.

Despite being told earlier that they were the same, Audeze appears to be using a new and different diaphragm/driver with the LCD-3 Fazor from earlier ones.

Hmm I wonder how this translates to the produced sound.
For me these seem like downgrades especially the excursion...

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #9,020 of 11,521
Hmm I wonder how this translates to the produced sound.
For me these seem like downgrades especially the excursion...

Not necessarily. Shorter excursion can lead to better transients and can improve transparency. That said, I would expect it to change the sound signature yes. But it appears there's a host of changes not just one...

Apr 27, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #9,022 of 11,521
Not necessarily. Shorter excursion can lead to better transients and can improve transparency. That said, I would expect it to change the sound signature yes. But it appears there's a host of changes not just one...

Yep, that might be true as well. For me a shorter excursion means less air moved > less body :)

Apr 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #9,024 of 11,521
+1.

To sum up these posted changes - :eek:

OTOH, my LCD3 FZ sounds superb and a significant improvement on my LCD2. However, I have not heard the previous LCD3.

I don't know about cause and effects of the changes.

This would be a good time for Audeze to post and tell us their thinking.

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM Post #9,025 of 11,521
Could it be said that the X is now the defacto top-of-the-line phone from Audeze? It seems that now all the comparisons are being made to the X and they seem to be moving the LCD3 closer to the X than the other way around. Fazors, etc. My LCD3 sounds very nice but still there is that part of me that really wants to audition the X and also the new LCD3 to compare with my existing 3s. The next "flagship" from Audeze to be the LCDX rev 2?

Apr 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #9,026 of 11,521
I still much prefer the 3's over the X's - superior in my books :)

Have compared them side by side over some time; the LCD-3's have a nicer midrange still - which is why i love them so.

I will most likely grab a LCD-3 successor if there is one - I don't want to buy another 3 just for the fazor's though~

Apr 28, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #9,027 of 11,521
  Could it be said that the X is now the defacto top-of-the-line phone from Audeze? It seems that now all the comparisons are being made to the X and they seem to be moving the LCD3 closer to the X than the other way around. Fazors, etc. My LCD3 sounds very nice but still there is that part of me that really wants to audition the X and also the new LCD3 to compare with my existing 3s. The next "flagship" from Audeze to be the LCDX rev 2?

LCD-3 has its place, for one, I like the wood better, and as it is already heavy enough, the LCD-X just adds weight. Second, the LCD-X is cheaper than the LCD-3, meaning it is supposed to be inferior, even though the LCD-X was made after the LCD-3. That membrane excursion reduction doesn't sound like a good idea in my book, but then I haven't heard the LCD-X yet, I'll have to ask the audeze dealer in the meet to see how it fares against the LCD-3, you know if it sounds better, I might just do the fazor "upgrade" (TBA if it's an upgrade) - but then there will also be an SR-009, which I'll hopefully try and listen to through my Vega :wink: and hopefully, I won't think it's worth the money, otherwise, I'm sorry for my wallet :wink:

Anyway, yeah, LCD-3!

Apr 28, 2014 at 1:14 AM Post #9,028 of 11,521

LCD-3 has its place, for one, I like the wood better, and as it is already heavy enough, the LCD-X just adds weight. Second, the LCD-X is cheaper than the LCD-3, meaning it is supposed to be inferior, even though the LCD-X was made after the LCD-3. That membrane excursion reduction doesn't sound like a good idea in my book, but then I haven't heard the LCD-X yet, I'll have to ask the audeze dealer in the meet to see how it fares against the LCD-3, you know if it sounds better, I might just do the fazor "upgrade" (TBA if it's an upgrade) - but then there will also be an SR-009, which I'll hopefully try and listen to through my Vega :wink: and hopefully, I won't think it's worth the money, otherwise, I'm sorry for my wallet :wink:

Anyway, yeah, LCD-3!

How do you listen to an SR 009 through the Vega ? Unless I am completely misunderstanding your statement ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back