New Audeze LCD3
Apr 28, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #9,031 of 11,521
After murdering the headband for 3 weeks, it's now staying loose finally. Fazors just barely touch sometimes. Did some more tests with the Hifiman spacers, can't say I notice any difference at all, so going to keep them in. Also bought some vegan pads and they don't touch with those. Thought I'd measure the impedance of my 271/LCD3, it is 107 ohms.

I am finding them very easy to listen to I must say. Very sweet sound that I can listen to all day (unlike my HE400). At first they were very uncomfortable but I got used to the weight now. The soft squishy pads help a lot, they could do with some more padding in the headband though. I thought the HE400 had some kickass bass but these are on another planet, they really hit hard and deep. I think the treble is just right, any more and it would be a touch too bright. The mids and vocals are perfect.

I much prefer the LCD3 to the LCDX. I had the pleasure of comparing the 261/LCD3 on an Auralic stack to the HD800 balanced on a Cavalli LAu/Calyx Femto DAC. On that setup, the HD800 was just as good, however, every other setup I have heard the HD800 on including Auralic stack, HDV800, Conductor, it doesn't even come close for me.

Apr 28, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #9,032 of 11,521
Hi guys! I posted about five weeks ago regarding my left driver was starting to fail. I managed to ship the LCD-3's just before going on a three weeks vacation and just when I arrived back home the LCD-3's arrived two days later here in Norway all fixed! Excellent support by the Audeze team. That being said, I have not had the time to listen to them as I am living in boxes due to moving. But what I can say is what's been done to my LCD-3 (confirmed by Audeze support):
- Replaced both transducers
- Gave them a good cleaning and double check that everything is working
- Added fazors in my unit 
normal_smile .gif

That last one was a bit surprising as I have been following this thread regarding the fazors the last month. Well, I can confirm that they indeed put fazors in my LCD-3 after being fixed by their service team. I did not ask them to do it, and I did not know about the fazor at the time.
Can wait to try them on again. For those who want to know; my LCD-3 is from 2012 and the serial number begins with 261.

Apr 28, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #9,033 of 11,521
Apr 29, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #9,035 of 11,521
I've got a pair of LCD-3 Fazors in house for a few days. Will be comparing with my LCD-3 Classic. Will post more later.

Nice, would be curious to hear the differences between the two. I have a pair of new LCD-3's coming tomorrow!

Apr 30, 2014 at 1:01 PM Post #9,037 of 11,521
First thoughts and impressions on the LCD-3 Fazors and my LCD-3 Classic. I listened to them around 6 hours yesterday.

My LCD-3Cs were bought 13 months ago, and had a driver replacement last June. They are well broken in I am very familiar with their sound. I highly appreciate their natural sound. A few things bothered me, like a slight midrange congestion on complex passages and a slightly muddy bass. But overall, I preferred them to a pair of LCD-Xs I bought last December.

The LCD-3Fs on first listen were surprising. Bass depth and definition is by far the best I have heard on headphones, and even most speaker systems. At Echo Audio where they have all the new Audeze models for comparison, the LCD-3F were more developed and punchy in the bass than the LCD-X, and made the LCD-X sound anemic in direct AB using a Sennheiser HP amp.

At home on my system, on Aqualung, "Locomotive Breath" there is a noise in my LCD-3C which sounds like a bad HP driver buzzing/rattling. On the LCD-3F, I can easily make out that that sound is the poorly made bass speaker box resonating in the recording. On Eric Clapton Unplugged, what was a blurred soft thud over my LCD-3C was Eric clearly tapping his foot to keep time.

Mids were smooth as my L-3Cs, but not as "creamy". Highs were more forward than my LCD-3C, and more like how I remember the LCD-X. The sound was drier, but still fleshed out. Intelligibility is superior with the LCD-3F. One thing I have noticed about my LCD-3Cs, is that they seem to not reproduce that last dB or two swing on loud dynamics. This is not a problem for the LCD-3F. Sometimes they sound almost too dynamic. Maybe they will burn in with time.

More later.

Apr 30, 2014 at 2:10 PM Post #9,038 of 11,521
Thanks for the early impressions, I just received my LCD-3F's today (I like that name :) and am breaking them in now, sound great out of the box though, easily a huge step up from the LCD-2.2 even before any break-in. Will post more impressions later.

May 2, 2014 at 4:24 PM Post #9,039 of 11,521
Any new impressions on the Fazor vs the Classic? I'm trying to decide if it's worth it :)

May 2, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #9,040 of 11,521
I can't compare the 2 since I've never heard the lcd-3 classic. But coming from the lcd-2.2 I can say the lcd-3f are on another level. Particularly in relation to soundstage

May 3, 2014 at 12:22 AM Post #9,044 of 11,521
The thing is I'm currently in US for a few days and I could get them way cheaper than in Europe. That's why I'm so curious if the 3C to 3F upgrade is worth it :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back