New Audeze LCD3
Apr 19, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #9,001 of 11,521
  I guess I could try a longer yoke rod. I think I'm near the last notch if not at it.

People have different sized heads, so obviously someone with a small head is going to think the LCD-2 is a looser headphone and someone with a large head will think it's tighter. I guess I have a large head.

Exactly. I keep mine on the 2nd to last notch, and if I move it to the last notch there is significantly less clamp. 

Apr 20, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #9,003 of 11,521
So what's the bottom line with fazor technology? They sound like they would improve SQ. Are they comfortable or uncomfortable? I talked to the company and they stated there are very few complaints thus far. So should I pull the trigger and send them in for an upgrade? If I lived within a 300 miles radius of an Audeze distributor or retailer I would definitely utilize that option try them myself , but I don't have that luxury
Thanks

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:25 PM Post #9,005 of 11,521
The trick to loosening the Audeze headband and getting them to actually stay loose over time is to loosen the whole headband at every spot. Initially I tried pulling mines apart just from the centre at the 12 o clock position. They would loosen but only for for a day. Try bending the headband apart at the top 12 o clock position and then keep pulling them apart with each hand as you move down the headband so 11/1 o clock and then down to 10/2 o clock and then at 9/3 o clock and so on. Also, find a place to leave them overnight on a stand or an object that stretches the headband.

I did this for about 3-4 days and the headband never got tight on me again for the next 5 months I had them. By the time I was done with them, the pads would never touch each other on their own. There was about an inch of difference. I also conditioned my pads with some leftover leather cream from my sofa conditioning kit. It helped with the clamping and made the sound a bit more open. Not to mention no more suction effects whatsoever. It was basically memory foam pads. Also, a positive side effect was that my cups never accumulated sweat afterwards regardless of the weather. This typically happens with all leather earpads.

Apr 21, 2014 at 2:43 PM Post #9,006 of 11,521
Although this is the LCD3 thread, AFAIK the headband is the same with all Audeze headphones, apart from the one I have on my LCD-XC, and with the headband I did, my LCD-XC's are very comfortable and can also be adjusted for different size heads.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM Post #9,007 of 11,521
Although this is the LCD3 thread, AFAIK the headband is the same with all Audeze headphones, apart from the one I have on my LCD-XC, and with the headband I did, my LCD-XC's are very comfortable and can also be adjusted for different size heads.

I'm sorry, are you saying that all LCD-XCs come with a different headband, stock?

Apr 22, 2014 at 9:40 AM Post #9,008 of 11,521

I'm sorry, are you saying that all LCD-XCs come with a different headband, stock?

No, AFAIK all LCD-XC's come with the same kind of headband, but the one on my LCD-XC is a completely different headband because I came up with the idea and put it on. ( I did the same kind of headband with my SR-009's first though )
There's a photo of my LCD-XC with the headband I did along with my 009's which also shows the headband, the photo can be found in the avatars on my profile.

Apr 22, 2014 at 5:55 PM Post #9,009 of 11,521
No, AFAIK all LCD-XC's come with the same kind of headband, but the one on my LCD-XC is a completely different headband because I came up with the idea and put it on. ( I did the same kind of headband with my SR-009's first though )
There's a photo of my LCD-XC with the headband I did along with my 009's which also shows the headband, the photo can be found in the avatars on my profile.

Sounds neat. Thanks for the clarification.

Mark

Apr 23, 2014 at 8:59 PM Post #9,010 of 11,521
Sorry if we have been through this. But does anyone know if there is a new flagship in the works?

Apr 24, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #9,011 of 11,521
With Audeze there is always something in the works :D

Apr 25, 2014 at 12:19 PM Post #9,013 of 11,521
  Has there been a straight up written comparison between the newer LCD-3 and the LCD-X?

Not that I have seen. Tyll is doing a review of current LCD-X, LCD-3, and LCD-2 revs. I don’t know when it will be done.

This is from the comments on AKG 812 “Well, got a couple three posts that will be prior, but current revs of the LCD-X, LCD-3, and LCD-2 are in the house and on and off my head for a review.”

Apr 27, 2014 at 12:38 AM Post #9,014 of 11,521
Interesting, I had not previously heard the LCD-2 & LCD-3 are now more effficient, but I just noticed the they are both now rated as listed here on Audeze's website:

•Efficiency: 94dB SPL / 1mW

Am I mistaken, or were they previously rated at 91dB SPL / 1mW Efficiency ?

Does this have something to do with the Fazor's making them easier to drive? If so, I guess they are closer to the LCD-X now in ability to be driven more efficiently by portable headphone amps? Anyone have any more info. on this or am I mistaken with their previous efficiency ratings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back