New Audeze LCD3
Dec 10, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #9,841 of 11,521
How is the fit on LCD3? I know they're quite heavy, but is the discomfort usually associated with planar magnetic headphones due to the weight or just bad fit? I'm interested in getting LCD3's to compliment my TH900's. I don't suppose anybody has experience how well Audeze headphones and Bakoon amps play together?

It's an amazing and highly resolving combination! I currently use an HPA-21 to drive my LCD-3F's and love it. Cheers

Dec 10, 2014 at 10:47 AM Post #9,842 of 11,521
It's an amazing and highly resolving combination! I currently use an HPA-21 to drive my LCD-3F's and love it. Cheers

Thanks! I was curious before, now I'm getting seriously interested.

Dec 10, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #9,843 of 11,521
Just heard back from Audeze support, they want me to pay to send the unit back to them, and they will cover return cost. Is this the same experience for you guys? They also confirmed ill be upgraded to 110ohm/Fazor version.

Dec 10, 2014 at 3:10 PM Post #9,844 of 11,521
  Just heard back from Audeze support, they want me to pay to send the unit back to them, and they will cover return cost. Is this the same experience for you guys? They also confirmed ill be upgraded to 110ohm/Fazor version.

Sounds pretty on par for most return/repairs for most things now a days.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #9,845 of 11,521

Yeah cost me $36-38 (With Tracking) to send my LCD3 back to Audeze from Australia. Bear in mind I only sent them the Earcups/Drivers after I ask if I could send them without the handband to reduce shipping cost. They ok it. I think that a very good deal considering you getting an upgrade which I remember costing $200-$300 before the discontinue the service.

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM Post #9,846 of 11,521

Yeah cost me $36-38 (With Tracking) to send my LCD3 back to Audeze from Australia. Bear in mind I only sent them the Earcups/Drivers after I ask if I could send them without the handband to reduce shipping cost. They ok it. I think that a very good deal considering you getting an upgrade which I remember costing $200-$300 before the discontinue the service.

Yes, that's the one saving grace, is that i'm getting that upgrade which woudl have cost me 2-300 plus shipping anyways.

Dec 10, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #9,847 of 11,521

Yes, that's the one saving grace, is that i'm getting that upgrade which woudl have cost me 2-300 plus shipping anyways.

I wasn't expecting an upgrade when I sent my LCD3 to Audeze, all I wanted was to get the left drivers fixed and I was happy.
I put off a bit after I used the calculator on the Auspost website that it would cost me almost $70 buck for postage. Lucky for me I confirmed with Audeze to send the earcups/drivers only saved a fair penny and bagged the Fazor upgrade. Only down side to it now is you're gonna have to wait due to the Holiday rush. Christmas/Boxing Day/New Year.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:15 PM Post #9,849 of 11,521

Hi Mscott58,

Did you ever compare the Bakoon HPA-21 to any tube amps? If so, what characteristics did you find similar/different. What do you love most about the Bakoon? I've read the 6moons review, but, as always with their content, I couldn't get a handle on what they actually liked about it. So much flowery prose.....

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:36 PM Post #9,850 of 11,521

Hi Mscott58,

Did you ever compare the Bakoon HPA-21 to any tube amps? If so, what characteristics did you find similar/different. What do you love most about the Bakoon? I've read the 6moons review, but, as always with their content, I couldn't get a handle on what they actually liked about it. So much flowery prose.....

Yeah, their prose is quite voluminous, although there's also a lot of good content in there. 

The HPA-21 is highly analytical but also highly musical. You hear every single instrument and detail, but not in a way that takes away from the overall picture. I like to say that when I put the Bakoon into my system it seemed like I could tell what brand individual instruments were (assuming I knew enough about instruments brands!) and that a single clarinet or guitar line could totally envelope me, but then when I pulled back out and saw the whole picture, with all the instruments, it was equally engaging. 

I don't have tubes currently in my HP setup, but I have OTL mono-blocks with 24 tubes across them in my 2-channel system, so I am familiar with that sound. I guess what you trade off with the Bakoon is a bit of warmth but without becoming cold or sterile in any manner. 

So there's a shorter review for you, minus the flowery bit. Hope this helps! 

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #9,851 of 11,521
Thanks mscott58. I'll look into it some more. I've seen a few drop to ~1600.00 used.

Dec 12, 2014 at 11:42 AM Post #9,853 of 11,521
Yeah, their prose is quite voluminous, although there's also a lot of good content in there. 

The HPA-21 is highly analytical but also highly musical. You hear every single instrument and detail, but not in a way that takes away from the overall picture. I like to say that when I put the Bakoon into my system it seemed like I could tell what brand individual instruments were (assuming I knew enough about instruments brands!) and that a single clarinet or guitar line could totally envelope me, but then when I pulled back out and saw the whole picture, with all the instruments, it was equally engaging. 

I don't have tubes currently in my HP setup, but I have OTL mono-blocks with 24 tubes across them in my 2-channel system, so I am familiar with that sound. I guess what you trade off with the Bakoon is a bit of warmth but without becoming cold or sterile in any manner. 

So there's a shorter review for you, minus the flowery bit. Hope this helps! 

Hey thanks!
What about the bass? Is it dry and fast..
I just heard a hugo it sound exactly like your description and very musical as well

Dec 12, 2014 at 1:32 PM Post #9,854 of 11,521
  You could get the bundled deal from LHLabs ( bit.ly/GeekPulse ), with the LCD-3 and just sell the Pulse X, if you didn't want it.  That would drop the price down.  Or get an open box from Razordog Audio

Audeze + Geek Pulse bundle deal will be wrapping up relatively quickly.  Shoot me a PM if you guys need any direction or clarification on the bundle deal.

http://bit.ly/PulseAudezeBundle

Dec 12, 2014 at 3:32 PM Post #9,855 of 11,521
Still on the fence about replacing my LCD3s with a Stax SR009 (and an amp).

What kind of amp will bring the best from my LCD3s, if I decide to keep it?
Budget is up to $3000 and I Prefer a tube aml

Users who are viewing this thread

Back