New Audeze LCD3
Dec 8, 2014 at 9:05 PM Post #9,826 of 11,521
I haven't visited this forum since last year аnd I'm surprised to find out that for this year Audez'e released FOUR new headphones - LCD-2F, LCD-3F, LCD-X and LCD-XC. From what I read here the 3Fs are FOTM and I'm thinking about replacing my ancient LCD-2 rev.2. But I'm ofraid that while they are traveling to Europe Audez'e may realease one more top product (or two...) and I'll be in the second echеlon again...

It's not the smartphone- or computer busines after all!... 
confused_face.gif

Would be great if all headphone company released headphones like the HD600/HD650 and not need worrying about upgrading for like 10/20 years.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #9,827 of 11,521
yea, they only changed the country of manufacture and the grills. :)

Would be great if all headphone company released headphones like the HD600/HD650 and not need worrying about upgrading for like 10/20 years.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM Post #9,828 of 11,521
I see no problem with Audeze striving to improve their products, whether it's better sound quality or a lighter more comfortable headphone, I'm all for it, even if I don't feel the need to upgrade. But I also don't see a need to be like Apple and release a yearly update to the headphone just because either, the upgrades should be significant and not just something silly like, oh we now offer all of our headphones in Neon Green!

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #9,830 of 11,521
  Does anyone think a Modi/Magni combo will drive a LCD-3 well?

$200 to drive a $2000 Cans, yes it will work (it will only sound good if you haven't heard it with higher end gear, once you do. You'll be hard pressed to go back). Definitely won't bring out the full potential of the LCD3.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #9,831 of 11,521
  $200 to drive a $2000 Cans, yes it will work (it will only sound good if you haven't heard it with higher end gear, once you do. You'll be hard pressed to go back). Definitely won't bring out the full potential of the LCD3.

Don't, go for LCD-2F with a $1000 AMP/DAC (used can get you even better gear). I would much prefer that over the LCD3 poorly amped. I was driving my LCD3 with a Vali at first with a much better DAC then the modi, and I was so disappointed !

"But I will upgrade later". True, and you will have wasted $200 in the process, get the best gear you can now and then stick to it. You will still want to upgrade at some point, but when you will ear what you already have, you will be so pleased (like I am with my gear) that you will find it hard to believe that any could ever sound better then that, and you won't mind keeping what you have. So at the end you will end up saving more then $200 in the process. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #9,832 of 11,521
^^ Agreed,

LCD3 poorly driven is not the best idea. LCD2 + 1000$ worth of gear is a great idea. If you really want the LCD3 try to invest in gear to match it. Currently im running RSA Dark Star with my LCD3, and have been contemplating getting the liquid gold as jude highly recommends it for planars, but given the fact that I already have such a good rig, keeps my wallet in my pocket time and time again. One of these days I know it'll jump out, but until then, im highly enjoying my LCD3 without a burning desire to upgrade :D

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:41 PM Post #9,833 of 11,521
  Does anyone think a Modi/Magni combo will drive a LCD-3 well?

Seeing as you already have the Modi/Magni is it possibly for you to bring your gear along and audition the LCD3's to see for yourself?  You may be perfectly happy with the combo.  I personally find the LCD3f's to be more forgiving than other flagship headphones.  

Will it drive them to their potential?  No.  Will it work for you?  It just might.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:40 PM Post #9,834 of 11,521

Seeing as you already have the Modi/Magni is it possibly for you to bring your gear along and audition the LCD3's to see for yourself?  You may be perfectly happy with the combo.  I personally find the LCD3f's to be more forgiving than other flagship headphones.  

Will it drive them to their potential?  No.  Will it work for you?  It just might.

Good idea. 

There's a hi-fi store around this area that allows for auditions. Last time I went there, I believe I heard them out of a $600ish Beyerdynamic A20-something amp. Sounded pretty good to me, I liked it a lot more than the HD650s out of the same amp for electronic/rock music. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #9,835 of 11,521

Good idea. 

There's a hi-fi store around this area that allows for auditions. Last time I went there, I believe I heard them out of a $600ish Beyerdynamic A20-something amp. Sounded pretty good to me, I liked it a lot more than the HD650s out of the same amp for electronic/rock music. 

You will probably really like with the LCD3's out of the m/m stack then.  It's a really solid combo.  

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:56 PM Post #9,836 of 11,521

You will probably really like with the LCD3's out of the m/m stack then.  It's a really solid combo.  

Well they also have $2k Naim and McIntosh setups so I might give those a swing too hahaha

Thanks for the advice! :)

Dec 10, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #9,837 of 11,521
How is the fit on LCD3? I know they're quite heavy, but is the discomfort usually associated with planar magnetic headphones due to the weight or just bad fit? I'm interested in getting LCD3's to compliment my TH900's. I don't suppose anybody has experience how well Audeze headphones and Bakoon amps play together?

Dec 10, 2014 at 7:21 AM Post #9,838 of 11,521
Well they also have $2k Naim and McIntosh setups so I might give those a swing too hahaha

There a 3channel beta22 at a steal for $500 in the trade section. At that price best bang for buck for the LCD3 although you would need to change the gain setting to 4x instead of 8x.

How is the fit on LCD3? I know they're quite heavy, but is the discomfort usually associated with planar magnetic headphones due to the weight or just bad fit? I'm interested in getting LCD3's to compliment my TH900's. I don't suppose anybody has experience how well Audeze headphones and Bakoon amps play together?

LCD3 pairs nicely to the Bakoon amp.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:08 AM Post #9,839 of 11,521

Let us know how it turns out!

I think that that is a personal thing.  I know some people can't wear them for more than 20 minutes.  I can wear mine all day.  They are heavy compared to other headphones but I got used to the weight pretty quickly.  I find the LCD3's to be very "cozy" feeling and I think that feeling compliments their presentation. I feel that the comfort issue with planars is a fit issue more that weight.  I find the HD400's very uncomfortable and they are much lighter.  My modded HE5's are quite comfortable.  At least that is my experience.

Dec 10, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #9,840 of 11,521
LCD3 pairs nicely to the Bakoon amp.

Excellent, thanks!

I think that that is a personal thing.  I know some people can't wear them for more than 20 minutes.  I can wear mine all day.  They are heavy compared to other headphones but I got used to the weight pretty quickly.  I find the LCD3's to be very "cozy" feeling and I think that feeling compliments their presentation. I feel that the comfort issue with planars is a fit issue more that weight.  I find the HD400's very uncomfortable and they are much lighter.  My modded HE5's are quite comfortable.  At least that is my experience.

Good to know. I once tried the HE-400's at a local audio store and wasn't really fond of the fit. They felt a bit flimsy on the head, although I didn't spend much time to really optimize the fit. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back