New Audeze LCD3
Feb 2, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #7,066 of 11,521
Quote:

I know right? Hence why I really need an overhaul on my rig. Having the lcd-3 for another a few days, the fit is kind of growing on me.. They still fell quite heavy, however the pressure points by my cheek-bones seem to be much less pronounced than my first 3 days with them. By the way, for $2000 headphones it's almost laughable how basic and flimsy the stock cable is. Now I see why after market cables are so popular. The sound is still really interesting. I almost sense some sort of metallic hue to it but I'm hoping that has more to do with the digital output on my computer into the dac than the phones themselves. Vocals still sound crystal clear, I just think I was expecting something a little warmer. I'm getting nervous that now I've heard the top of the line, everything else isn't going to measure up and I'll be forced to buy the lcd-3 and go on the amp/dac journey. Oh well, such is life.

Calluses, maybe? :)

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #7,067 of 11,521
"A music question: I rarely see references to classical music preferences in the LCD threads. Could anyone who favors choral music, symphonic, chamber and small-group music from any of the periods usually called "classical music" describe his or her experience? Thanks in advance."

Hi Jeffrey,

I listen exclusively to classical music of all types (chamber, opera, symphonic), and I also own a pair of LCD-3's.  As has already been said, they excel with chamber music, baroque ensembles, etc.

However, I find that I also love them for symphonic music - when using the Pan Am amp. They seem to be a really good match with the Pan Am (using both Voshkod and Mullard tubes). I was listening to some Mahler symphonies last evening (doesn't get much bigger, soundstage wise, than these) with the LCD-3's and Pan Am, and it was just gorgeous. Full, rich and plenty of soundstage/ambiance.

That said, I am not so fond of the LCD-3's using my Schiit Lyr amp.  To get the same "ahhhh moments" with the Lyr, I prefer my HD650's or Denon D2000's.

Good luck with your headphone quest!

Feb 4, 2013 at 4:34 PM Post #7,068 of 11,521
SORRY FOR THIS ACCIDENTAL DOUBLE-POST

Hi Jeffrey,

I listen exclusively to classical music of all types (chamber, opera, symphonic), and I also own a pair of LCD-3's.  As has already been said, they excel with chamber music, baroque ensembles, etc.

However, I find that I also love them for symphonic music - when using the Pan Am amp. They seem to be a really good match with the Pan Am (using both Voshkod and Mullard tubes). I was listening to some Mahler symphonies last evening (doesn't get much bigger, soundstage wise, than these) with the LCD-3's and Pan Am, and it was just gorgeous. Full, rich and plenty of soundstage/ambiance.

That said, I am not so fond of the LCD-3's using my Schiit Lyr amp.  To get the same "ahhhh moments" with the Lyr, I prefer my HD650's or Denon D2000's.

Good luck with your headphone quest!

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #7,069 of 11,521
Where is the best place to but the LCD 3 or LCD 2 for returning if I do run into a production issue. Direct from Audeze or from say Headroom? Or someplace else? Seems that headroom does not charge a restock fee, while Audeze does.

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:39 PM Post #7,071 of 11,521
Quote:

I know right? Hence why I really need an overhaul on my rig. Having the lcd-3 for another a few days, the fit is kind of growing on me.. They still fell quite heavy, however the pressure points by my cheek-bones seem to be much less pronounced than my first 3 days with them. By the way, for $2000 headphones it's almost laughable how basic and flimsy the stock cable is. Now I see why after market cables are so popular. The sound is still really interesting. I almost sense some sort of metallic hue to it but I'm hoping that has more to do with the digital output on my computer into the dac than the phones themselves. Vocals still sound crystal clear, I just think I was expecting something a little warmer. I'm getting nervous that now I've heard the top of the line, everything else isn't going to measure up and I'll be forced to buy the lcd-3 and go on the amp/dac journey. Oh well, such is life.

I remember reading the LCD2 owner's manual ... it says something about giving your new ear pads some squishes with your fingers, to soften the new foam a bit. So I did, and didn't think much about it ...

A few months later - the foam and the leather IS SO SOFT  ... just perfect! 

So for me (yes I realize this is the LCD3 thread), the comfort of my 'phones gets better and better with time.

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:04 AM Post #7,072 of 11,521
I gave mine a simple strech of the headband, and voila, super comfy for hours on end. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:07 AM Post #7,073 of 11,521
Anybody owns one of these Omega style headphone stands with the LCD2 or LCD3 ? I like them, but tried one in a store, and find the earpads squeezed again the stand. I know they're squeezed when you wear them, but that's for a short period of time. On the stand they'll be squeezed 24 hours a day, and not sure if that will affect their shape on the long run.

Feb 5, 2013 at 9:28 AM Post #7,074 of 11,521
I received my replacement pair yesterday from ALO where my first set was determined faulty and I received a refund for return shipping as well. Thanks to Charlene at ALO and Audeze for making this horrific unfortunate incident relatively painless and professional

So far so good with no driver failure or any other quality issue.

Even though I have been without my $2k cans for a month which has caused me to put on weight, not shave, stay out late frequently after work getting drunk, sleeping around and starting fights in bars and fighting with the wife too... its all quickly dissolving away after plugging them into my MBA/-dB/RX3B relaxing back in my imaginary Eames lounge chair and listening to my favourite musician at the moment, Christian Scott. All's good.

Feb 5, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #7,075 of 11,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even though I have been without my $2k cans for a month which has caused me to put on weight, not shave, stay out late frequently after work getting drunk, sleeping around and starting fights in bars and fighting with the wife too... its all quickly dissolving away after plugging them into my MBA/-dB/RX3B relaxing back in my imaginary Eames lounge chair and listening to my favourite musician at the moment, Christian Scott. All's good.

I hope my wife does not read this.......I told her the reason I am doing all these behaviors is because I now own the LCD3s and they cannot be returned 
o2smile.gif

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:03 PM Post #7,076 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I hope my wife does not read this.......I told her the reason I am doing all these behaviors is because I now own the LCD3s and they cannot be returned 
o2smile.gif

LOL, we are on thin ice here my friend!

Feb 5, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #7,077 of 11,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even though I have been without my $2k cans for a month which has caused me to put on weight, not shave, stay out late frequently after work getting drunk, sleeping around and starting fights in bars and fighting with the wife too... its all quickly dissolving away after plugging them into my MBA/-dB/RX3B relaxing back in my imaginary Eames lounge chair and listening to my favourite musician at the moment, Christian Scott. All's good

Quote:
o2smile.gif

Quote:

You are very familiar with this type of skating are you not? 
deadhorse.gif
  LOL

Feb 6, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #7,078 of 11,521
Quote:

I remember reading the LCD2 owner's manual ... it says something about giving your new ear pads some squishes with your fingers, to soften the new foam a bit. So I did, and didn't think much about it ...

A few months later - the foam and the leather IS SO SOFT  ... just perfect! 

So for me (yes I realize this is the LCD3 thread), the comfort of my 'phones gets better and better with time.

Hey, good advice here! I think I solved the temple area pressure 100% by firmly squishing the fat rear part of the pads.
Now they don't tilt forward so much and that relieves the pressure on the front.
This and some experimentation with the headband positioning made them totally comfortable for me and I listened for 2-3 hours last night
to my Motown collection and had no problems AND they sound truly awesome.
(Edit: I tilt the headband a bit more forward, along with the pad squishing, and now get a balanced feel in the entire ring around my ears, so that now
I actually think the LCD3s are more comfy overall than my HD800s, although they feel --and sound-- completely different.)
FYI I use a Moon Silver Dragon cable for them.

Feb 6, 2013 at 3:38 PM Post #7,079 of 11,521
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Room40 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Even though I have been without my $2k cans for a month which has caused me to put on weight, not shave, stay out late frequently after work getting drunk, sleeping around and starting fights in bars and fighting with the wife too... its all quickly dissolving away after plugging them into my MBA/-dB/RX3B relaxing back in my imaginary Eames lounge chair and listening to my favourite musician at the moment, Christian Scott. All's good

Quote:
o2smile.gif

Quote:

You are very familiar with this type of skating are you not? 
deadhorse.gif
  LOL

Picture Hunter S. Thompson in Hugh Hefner's robe skating the Great Lakes with chunks of zebrano on the head. Tada! That's me! 
o2smile.gif

Feb 7, 2013 at 2:58 AM Post #7,080 of 11,521
Hey Guys! 

I just got my LCD3s. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I find them incredibly comfortable!

That being said, I would like to find a way to protect the leather of the earpads. I am worried that over time the grease will get absorbed and make them hard. 

Are there suitable ear pad covers available? Alternatively, is there a good way to clean them? If all this fails, can I just buy new pads from Audeze?

Finally, when / how should I be using the wood protector?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back