New Audeze LCD3
Aug 26, 2012 at 8:26 AM Post #6,437 of 11,521
I'm not sure what you mean by experiment and risky.  They're Pro Builders out there that have built thousands of these things.  No difference from the name brands really.   That's just how I feel I guess.  In the end it will definitely give you what your looking for.

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #6,438 of 11,521
Quote:
Thanks- but I don't want to be an experiment. I want something that exists- and has a proven track record.  DIY is risky even though it MAY provide superior results in the end.

LOL I guess you don't know the B22's track record.......

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:22 AM Post #6,439 of 11,521
Quote:
How about the Burson HA-160D with the LCD-3? I am looking for the best cost no object "small system". I mean by that a one box DAC, Headphone amp. solution.

I had the HA-160D with LCD-2's and I would say that it was pretty bad.
My La Figaro 339 (550 USD) + MusicStreamer II+ (300 USD) sounded (and sounds, I sold the HA-160D after 2-3 days) much much bettter.
I'd say the HA-160D is highly overrated. The Vioelectric VPA-200 on the other hand sound very good with LCD-2's, and should be transposable on the LCD-3's...

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:27 AM Post #6,440 of 11,521
Quote:
I am looking for the best cost no object "small system". I mean by that a one box DAC, Headphone amp. solution.

Here are the one-boxes I've tried, with the Audeze LCD-2/3 and HD800's when I owned them:

Disclaimer: to get "the most" out of your Zodiac you need the external PS ("voltikus") which adds on a box.  Form factor is still compact.

Burson 160D
April Eximus (home audition)
Resonessence Invicta
Zodiac Gold (home audition)
RWA Isabellina HPA

I'd rate the headphone outs as: Invicta>Eximus>Burson>RWA>Zodiac  for the Audeze phones.  The Zodiac has a better showing for the Sennheisers but its still primarily about the DAC
As far as DAC quality: Invicta>Zodiac>Eximus>Burson>RWA 
Invicta also wins portability for being completely self-contained - you can put your music on SD cards and the unit now essentially has it's own storage.
I would not consider any of these combined with almost any dynamic as on the same level (or even sounding remotely the same) as your Stax system but you can't argue with portability if that's what you need.  If I needed one box and a headphone I'd probably go Invicta->UERM.

Another "smallish" setup to consider which is not strictly what you're looking for would be Invicta (which is much smaller than you'd think) ->LL (also a smallish one-box amp)->009.  It doesn't hurt that the DAC and amps have similar build styles coloring, heck - even the blue lighting matches.  

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #6,441 of 11,521
Quote:
Hi everyone. I own a BHSE and SR-009 with a Ayon Skylla 2 DAC. I was thinking of downgrading to a RWA balanced Isabellina and LCD-3. Why? My system is physically very big and I need something smaller to put by my bedside.

Thinking too hard.  Stax 323s, W4S DAC-2, done.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:37 AM Post #6,442 of 11,521
Quote:

Here are the one-boxes I've tried, with the Audeze LCD-2/3 and HD800's when I owned them:

Disclaimer: to get "the most" out of your Zodiac you need the external PS ("voltikus") which adds on a box.  Form factor is still compact.

Burson 160D
April Eximus (home audition)
Resonessence Invicta
Zodiac Gold (home audition)
RWA Isabellina HPA

I'd rate the headphone outs as: Invicta>Eximus>Burson>RWA>Zodiac  for the Audeze phones.  The Zodiac has a better showing for the Sennheisers but its still primarily about the DAC
As far as DAC quality: Invicta>Zodiac>Eximus>Burson>RWA 
Invicta also wins portability for being completely self-contained - you can put your music on SD cards and the unit now essentially has it's own storage.
I would not consider any of these combined with almost any dynamic as on the same level (or even sounding remotely the same) as your Stax system but you can't argue with portability if that's what you need.  If I needed one box and a headphone I'd probably go Invicta->UERM.

Another "smallish" setup to consider which is not strictly what you're looking for would be Invicta (which is much smaller than you'd think) ->LL (also a smallish one-box amp)->009.  It doesn't hurt that the DAC and amps have similar build styles coloring, heck - even the blue lighting matches.  

Edit - forgot I auditioned the Weiss 202.  DAC is right up there with the Invicta, but headphone amp doesn't do planars any favors.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #6,443 of 11,521
Small system? Why not get an LF? It's really compact and it's the best pair I've heard with my old LCD 2.2s (and many have liked it with their LCD 3s). Pair it with something like the Halide DAC and you've got a great little system.

Aug 26, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #6,444 of 11,521
Not quite an all-in-one box, but still, if you want to go really small: iPod - Cypher Labs Solo - RX 3B - LCD3.

Heard it on Saturday and was blown away at the authority with which the RX handles the LCD3. It was a wonderful sound.

My only caveat was the slightest hint of sibilance on some vocals.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #6,445 of 11,521
Quote:
Hi everyone. I own a BHSE and SR-009 with a Ayon Skylla 2 DAC. I was thinking of downgrading to a RWA balanced Isabellina and LCD-3. Why? My system is physically very big and I need something smaller to put by my bedside. For those who know both headphones and both setups- I ask, would this change be a huge disappointing let down, moderate let down, an improvement, or equal but different. I would appreciate your comments.

I think you should try what I have and love: Keep the 009 phones and try them with a nice little Stax 007t/ii amp. I have praised this combo several times around here.
I think Elusive Disc has a demo unit for $2K. That's a lot less dramatic than what you are thinking, and I think will give you spectacular sound. (I also own LCD3s.)
It doesn't get very hot either.

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #6,446 of 11,521
After reading around im considering to skip lcd2 and go straight for the top and go for LCD3s.
I see alot of guys like the Cavalli LF and some also like the Burson models. Which other amplifers do you guys think work good with these?
Id like to get a good overview over the amps people like with them so I can get a better estimate on how sorry I should feel for my wallet. 

Thank you!

Aug 26, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #6,447 of 11,521
I just realized I haven't heard a lot of variety but I sure loved my LF. Only really heard it with the LF, B22, and Lyr. LF was obviously my choice. 
Quote:
After reading around im considering to skip lcd2 and go straight for the top and go for LCD3s.
I see alot of guys like the Cavalli LF and some also like the Burson models. Which other amplifers do you guys think work good with these?
Id like to get a good overview over the amps people like with them so I can get a better estimate on how sorry I should feel for my wallet. 

Thank you!

Aug 26, 2012 at 8:36 PM Post #6,448 of 11,521
Quote:
I think you should try what I have and love: Keep the 009 phones and try them with a nice little Stax 007t/ii amp. I have praised this combo several times around here.
I think Elusive Disc has a demo unit for $2K. That's a lot less dramatic than what you are thinking, and I think will give you spectacular sound. (I also own LCD3s.)
It doesn't get very hot either.

I totally agree or get the SRM-727II. We just had a micro meet yesterday and compared the lCD-3 with my WA5-LE and also my Dark Star to my SR-009/727II combo. i like the LCD-3 but is clearly a step down in clarity, spatial accuracy, soundstage size, etc. The thing it might have better is the bass if you like lots of bass (the 009 is not lacking IMO). One of the guys have the SR-009/A-10 combo and said the differences to the SR-009/SRM727II combo were not significant.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Aug 26, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #6,449 of 11,521
Phew, just finished this weekend's DAC shootout between Lynx Hilo and Antelope Zodiac Gold + Voltikus (and my old DA11). Lot's of notes...

Hilo won, at least for me that want a dead neutral mastering-grade DAC. Unfortunately my LCD 3s are at Audez'e for repair so I used my old LCD 2r2 for listening instead. Hilo's excellent dynamic bass + LCD 3 is something to wait for... 
tongue_smile.gif

If my main can had been HE-6 or HD800 instead the result could have been different, Zodiac sounds more balanced with these. Zodiac has a soft "analog" sound that I perceive as a color. Hilo fits better into my studio also. I guess the next step up from Hilo would be Invicta, or maybe the new secret product they're working on (hopefully a cheaper Invicta-DAC-only box).

Since the headphone amp in Hilo is so good Hilo + LCD-3 will create a nice combo (that is if you don't have desire for any "audiophile color" that is so popular around here...
evil_smiley.gif
).

Will order a black-face Hilo tomorrow.

Aug 26, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #6,450 of 11,521

With the LCD-3s, the Mjolnir is a no brainer if you can handle a balanced only amp. LF, as you noted. Balancing Act. Though I have yet to hear it (show's up Tuesday finally), the BHA-1, is also supposed to be nice with the 3's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back